MSC Poesia for the Baltic July 2019

Hello All,

Not a lot of info on this ship or itinerary. Any help would be appreciated. We are boarding in Warnemunde, then off to Norway, stopping back in Warnemunde before heading East to St. Petersburg, it is a B2b.

Thanks,

Oviattfamily

I've noticed that too. We're sailing MSC for the first time August 31st on the Poesia and I'm craving more information. I've found some vlogs from people sailing on the Poesia but not our itnerary of Northern Europe. Quite a while ago, I read a blog of the same or similar itinerary but I cannot find it now. (I ^think^ it was Poesia but perhaps it was not.)

Good luck finding more information and please share if you do! Have a great trip!

11 hours ago, oviattfamily said:

Believe it or not, not a lot on this ship or its' Baltic sailings. The few roll calls are also pretty quite.

I believe it. MSC is an Italian cruise line and the roll calls for these ships are usually quite sparse. Roll calls are not as active like, for example, Princess, NCL, RCCL etc.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:08 PM, oviattfamily said:

Yes, 14 days, we are very excited. Any suggestions for St. Petersburg?

Interesting itinerary. Baltic is one of our favorite cruises. I am not sure about the ship, as we have never sailed with MSC, but the  Baltic itinerary is always amazing!  As for suggestions for St.Petersburg, are you there for 2 days or one day? Usually cruise ships allow two days stay in St.Petersburg. If that's the case, you are lucky! I would suggest booking with one of the highly rated agencies. We used Anastasia Travel and they exceeded our expectations. St.Petersburg is beautiful and there are so many things to do and see, but you have short time for such a big city. Definitely book a tour. Have fun!

We are doing the Norway itinerary on the Poesia in June and sailed the Baltic itinerary on the MSC Musica in the past.  I agree, the boards are extremely quiet for MSC cruises.

This is what we did on our Baltic cruise:

Kiel:  MSC excursion to Lubeck.  Very good day

Stockholm:  Bought tickets for the Hop-On Hop-Off red bus (aka HoHo) since MSC cancelled our excursion the night before due         to not enough English speakers to form a viable excursion.  

Tallin:  Bought HoHo tickets to include city of Tallin and surrounding areas.  In hindsight, just the old town was plenty for the       day. Not much to see in the city and surroundings.  You can walk to the old town easily from the port, but it is quite an uphill climb to get to old town.  Coming back would be much easier.  The vendors at the port area had the same products at much better prices than in old town.  Several vendors in old town wanted cash only, but ATMs available nearby

St Petersburg:  We did a private tour with SPB.  Well worth every dollar spent!  We saw at least twice as much not having to wait for the slowest person in a group.  We did Catherine's Palace (not worth the trouble - skip if you need to scratch something off your list), Cathedral of the Spilled Blood, Peterhof (amazing), Hermitage, Fortress, lunch, and shopping.

I know your itinerary might not include Kiel or Stockholm, but included what I knew in case someone is searching for info from a different cruise.

MSC:  Bring printed as well as digital copies of all pre-booked excursions, purchases, etc.  Have the google translate app (or something similar) because the crew is not as polished on their English as on other lines.  

• 3 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 6:57 PM, Wayfairers said:

What did you see and do in Lubeck?  We will be in Kiel 7a-5p next May and starting to research options

The ships excursion took us by bus (comfortable and clean) to Lubeck.  We did a walking tour through the historic area and had good lunch at a local restaurant.  Our guide was very informative and her English was very good (she was actually Italian!).  We were very happy that we took a guided tour vs a "diy tour" because we learned a number of interesting facts that weren't in the guidebooks that we had read.

The only negative for us was that we would have liked a bit more free time to wander the shops at the end of the day.

14 hours ago, beachluver9 said:

The ships excursion took us by bus (comfortable and clean) to Lubeck.  We did a walking tour through the historic area and had good lunch at a local restaurant.  Our guide was very informative and her English was very good (she was actually Italian!).  We were very happy that we took a guided tour vs a "diy tour" because we learned a number of interesting facts that weren't in the guidebooks that we had read.

The only negative for us was that we would have liked a bit more free time to wander the shops at the end of the day.

Thanks.   Was there anything unique in the historic area?   We’ve seen many historic areas and look for the things that are unusual.