London Hotel - pre/post cruise

msled

Ok, I know that this is so basic and there are hundreds of options.  I am so overwhelmed!!  We are flying into Heathrow a couple of days prior to a cruise from Southhampton.  There are 4 of us and we want to stay somewhere near a tube so that we can easily get around to the sites w/ no car and not too much walking.  One of us is a little mobility challenged.  I don't really know what area would be good to stay in.  Want something reasonable because we are splurging on the cruise.  I'm wondering if we can take the tube to a hotel and then back to ride the National Express Bus to Southhampton.  Or is it advisable to only do a taxi / car service to the hotel?  Help!  Any advice on areas or hotels?

Thanks

You can pick up the bus at Victoria coach station,rather than go all the way back to LHR.Premier Inn are the most value for money IMO.Trip advisor do a map of all the hotels in  radius of a chosen location.Get the tube to Barons Court,cross the platform and catch District line straight to Victoria.

I always check several sites like Booking.com, TripAdvisor (both of which have maps to use for location to stations) and then look at the ones I like directly to see if there are any savings, deals etc.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I was feeling so overwhelmed for even where to start given the tube zones and how to get to Southhampton.  We will have suitcases for a 2 week visit.  Is it reasonable to use the tube for transportation from LHR and then back to Victoria with luggage?  Is that common or will we be standouts?

Every terminal at LHR has its own Picadilly line station,they all go to Barons Court.Just walk across on the same platform for continuation on District line to Victoria.Just place cases near the doors and sit on the end of the seats next to them.Book hotel inbetween Victoria tube and coach stations and the distance is short.We live at the other end of the District line and we've made the journey of 30+ stops to LHR numerous times.

I must add that Victoria is near Buckingham palace,houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.The District line continues thru the city  to Tower Hill for the Tower of London with everything inbetween. We are getting this bus in September and the stop is outside the main terminal and is more convenient.PS don't be confused with Victoria bus station which is right next to the tube,the coach station is a little further.

Edited by brian1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

I must add that Victoria is near Buckingham palace,houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.The District line continues thru the city  to Tower Hill for the Tower of London with everything inbetween. We are getting this bus in September and the stop is outside the main terminal and is more convenient.PS don't be confused with Victoria (bus) make that TRAIN station which is right next to the tube,the coach station is a little further.

Right, Brian.

Important not to get confused :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

But yes, Victoria is a good area to search.........

- Handy for Nat Express coaches to Southampton. There are also direct hourly trains to Southampton, but they take a circuitous route - about 2.5 hours..

- Handy for the tube from LHR. Only one tube line (Piccadilly line) so you can't get on a wrong train. And you join the tube at it's start point, so no problem getting seats together and your luggage around you (don't let it out of your sight, or preferably your grasp).

The change at Barons Court is simple, but now you're entering a busy part of the system so don't expect seats for everyone (but even Londoners give up their seats for the elderly or infirm). Victoria is just three short stops away (route is shown at eye-level along the length of the carriage).

- If taking your luggage on the tube doesn't appeal, there are direct Nat Express coaches from LHR.

- Two direct tube lines to a number of London sights.

- Ho-ho buses pass by on their main routes. 

- A number of sights in walking distance.

- A wide range of hotels in Victoria, from big chains to small family-run hotels.

- not the cheapest area in central London, but very reasonable by London averages.

Or Paddington.

- direct HEX trains from LHR (journey time just 15 minutes). But if you decide on this location, buy your HEX tickets literally months in advance - a quarter of the cost of walk-up tickets.

- Five tube lines from Paddington..

- Nearest main-route ho-h0 stop is Marble Arch, a 20-minute walk or local bus or ho-ho feeder route.

- Near Hyde Park, and on the other side of the park is the "museum district" of South Kensington

- Again a wide range of hotels.

- Direct tube to Victoria for Southampton coaches or direct tube to Waterloo for Southampton trains. But awkward and expensive for either if you take a taxi instead of the tube - which you might choose to do with luggage.

- Not as good a location as Victoria or Waterloo, but probably the cheapest area for tourists

Or Waterloo.

- awkward from LHR - worth either a private transfer from LHR (worth considering at about £50) or tube to a  convenient stop on the Piccadilly line, then hail a black cab.

- Two tube lines

- On the main ho-ho routes.

- Extremely good location in walking distance of major sights like London Eye, river cruises, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Whitehall,  Churchill War Rooms, 10 Downing St, Trafalgar Square, Shakespeare's Globe, Tate Modern, etc. And waterside bars & eateries. I rate this location highly. 

- Hotels are mainly big chains. More expensive than Victoria or Paddington, but still manageable and good value for the location

- Handy for direct trains to Southampton, three trains per hour, journey time 90 minutes. Walk-up fare is over £40, but if you buy from about 6 weeks out it's less than half the cost - those bucket-price tickets are only good for the train time that you book, so if you miss it you'll have to spend another £40 each for walk-up tickets. 

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf (but don't bother to print-off, they're displayed everywhere & inset on all tourist maps)

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.theoriginaltour.com/

https://www.bigbustours.com/en/london/

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

55 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Right, Brian.

- Handy for Nat Express coaches to Southampton. There are also direct hourly trains to Southampton, but they take a circuitous route - about 2.5 hours..

- Handy for the tube from LHR. Only one tube line (Piccadilly line) so you can't get on a wrong train. And you join the tube at it's start point, so no problem getting seats together and your luggage around you (don't let it out of your sight, or preferably your grasp).

The change at Barons Court is simple, but now you're entering a busy part of the system so don't expect seats for everyone (but even Londoners give up their seats for the elderly or infirm). Victoria is just three short stops away (route is shown at eye-level along the length of the carriage).

- If taking your luggage on the tube doesn't appeal, there are direct Nat Express coaches from LHR.

- A wide range of hotels in Victoria, from big chains to small family-run hotels.

- not the cheapest area in central London, but very reasonable by London averages.

Or Paddington.

- direct HEX trains from LHR (journey time just 15 minutes). But if you decide on this location, buy your HEX tickets literally months in advance - a quarter of the cost of walk-up tickets.

- Nearest main-route ho-h0 stop is Marble Arch, a 20-minute walk or local bus or ho-ho feeder route.

- Near Hyde Park, and on the other side of the park is the "museum district" of South Kensington

- Direct tube to Victoria for Southampton coaches or direct tube to Waterloo for Southampton trains. But awkward and expensive for either if you take a taxi instead of the tube - which you might choose to do with luggage.

- Not as good a location as Victoria or Waterloo, but probably the cheapest area for tourists

Or Waterloo.

- awkward from LHR - worth either a private transfer from LHR (worth considering at about £50) or tube to a  convenient stop on the Piccadilly line, then hail a black cab.

- Two tube lines

- Extremely good location in walking distance of major sights like London Eye, river cruises, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Whitehall,  Churchill War Rooms, 10 Downing St, Trafalgar Square, Shakespeare's Globe, Tate Modern, etc. And waterside bars & eateries. I rate this location highly. 

- Hotels are mainly big chains. More expensive than Victoria or Paddington, but still manageable and good value for the location

- Handy for direct trains to Southampton, three trains per hour, journey time 90 minutes. Walk-up fare is over £40, but if you buy from about 6 weeks out it's less than half the cost - those bucket-price tickets are only good for the train time that you book, so if you miss it you'll have to spend another £40 each for walk-up tickets. 

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf (but don't bother to print-off, they're displayed everywhere & inset on all tourist maps)

No, the LTR bus station is between the TRAIN station and the TUBE station.Otherwise an informative post.

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

No, the LTR bus station is between the TRAIN station and the TUBE station.Otherwise an informative post.

Ooops, my bad.:classic_blush:

I didn't know that Victoria even had a bus station.:classic_rolleyes:

Bus and coach are such interchangeable words - even a lot of coach drivers talk about their buses - that I presumed you had typed Victoria bus station meaning Victoria coach station.

I think I'll have a long lie-down :classic_wink:

8 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ooops, my bad.:classic_blush:

I didn't know that Victoria even had a bus station.:classic_rolleyes:

Bus and coach are such interchangeable words - even a lot of coach drivers talk about their buses - that I presumed you had typed Victoria bus station meaning Victoria coach station.

I think I'll have a long lie-down :classic_wink:

No worries,it's just a large area full of bus stops,nothing like the building that is the coach station.The important thing here is that the Americans get used to the word coach,if they ask someone for the bus station,they will be sent round the corner away from the coach station.There is step free access at Victoria,which would help the OP.Cheers,Brian.

Edited by brian1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

No worries,it's just a large area full of bus stops,nothing like the building that is the coach station.The important thing here is that the Americans get used to the word coach,if they ask someone for the bus station,they will be sent round the corner away from the coach station.There is step free access at Victoria,which would help the OP.Cheers,Brian.

Hi, Brian,

Also important not to advise our American visitors to walk on the pavement. 

I don't know how many were mown down following my instructions before I was aware that pavement has a dangerously-different meaning in the States. :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Hi, Brian,

Also important not to advise our American visitors to walk on the pavement. 

I don't know how many were mown down following my instructions before I was aware that pavement has a dangerously-different meaning in the States. :classic_wink:

LOL.I can think of 1 or 2 misconstrued English to American translations.Best not to go there.I was thinking the OP might find all this a bit daunting.One last suggestion,book the coach from T4.After deplaning,get intra terminal transportation to T4, check in to Premier Inn which is attached by walkway.You can take the luggage trolley right up to the room door.Dump bags in room and go to London via tube as previously suggested but without the hassle of luggage and see the sights unrestricted.The LHR Premier Inn is as cheap as chips and the evening meals and drinks are not the usual airport prices.After 2 nights, board the coach at the T4 stop.We stayed here last year for £60 for 1 night.Cheers,Brian.

Edited by brian1

Thank you so much for all the advice.  I have to admit it is a bit daunting!  But I'll figure it out eventually.  Haha.  

Seems you are saying that in the area of Victoria tube station there is also an LTR bus station, train station, & a Nat Express coach station.  And I have to find the right one.  That part sounds daunting 🙂

So another question. @brian1 said to get off at Barons Court and switch to the District line.  I am looking at the tube map and I thought you could only switch lines where there is a white circle.  There is no circle at Barons but both lines have a tab mark.  Is switching available because they share the track there and both have stops there?  Just wondering so I understand how to read this map.

Also, Is Victoria the best place to get a coach to Southhampton or is there something else you would recommend?

Edited by msled

12 hours ago, msled said:

Thank you so much for all the advice.  I have to admit it is a bit daunting!  But I'll figure it out eventually.  Haha.  

Seems you are saying that in the area of Victoria tube station there is also an LTR bus station, train station, & a Nat Express coach station.  And I have to find the right one.  That part sounds daunting 🙂

So another question. @brian1 said to get off at Barons Court and switch to the District line.  I am looking at the tube map and I thought you could only switch lines where there is a white circle.  There is no circle at Barons but both lines have a tab mark.  Is switching available because they share the track there and both have stops there?  Just wondering so I understand how to read this map.

Also, Is Victoria the best place to get a coach to Southhampton or is there something else you would recommend?

I had a feeling it might be a little daunting.Perhaps take my suggestion of using LHR as a base and get the coach from there.That way you  go into town just to see the sights. You can prebook Premier Inn T4 online.Although cheaper than most,they are my favourite hotel group with large rooms and nice beds.The restaurant has a good menu of English pub grub style.You can google menu also.Lastly,the Piccadilly and District lines are opposite each other on the same platform at Barons Court.We always use this route when we go to LHR.We live at the opposite end of London from LHR on the District line,but we get free travel because we are pensioners,lol.Cheers,Brian.

Edited by brian1

Yes, where you see the tab marks on the tube map you can switch.

There are several stations where you can switch between the Piccadilly line & the District line, at Barons Court the switch is just from one side of the platform to the other.

Victoria underground (tube) station is linked to the rail station - you can access the underground from the street or from the rail station.

The bus station (red double-deck London buses) is broadly in the same place at the front of the rail station but is a bit of an irrelevance to most visitors - it serves only to allow folk like me to confuse "buses" and "coaches".:classic_biggrin:

The National Express coach station (think "Greyhound") is a ten minute walk down Buckingham Palace Road - this for coaches from Heathrow and to Southampton.

If you base yourselves in Victoria and are concerned about taking your luggage on the tube, consider instead taking the Nat Express coach from Heathrow to Victoria coach station, although the journey will take longer.

Coaches to Southampton start at Victoria coach station, which makes Victoria a good place to base yourselves. En-route they stop at Heathrow, so Heathrow to Southampton is easy too. (There's also an intermediate stop at Hammersmith, but that's not "central London" and IMHO not worth considering.)

As per my last post, there's also a direct hourly train service to Southampton from Victoria rail station, but it's a slow route

And also as per my last post, Waterloo is convenient for frequent fast trains to Southampton & for the sights, not so convenient from Heathrow.

Re Brian's suggestion of basing yourselves at Heathrow.

Yes. airport hotels are significantly cheaper than central London hotels. But they usually gouge their "captive audience" on food & drinks prices - good to hear that Premier Inn T4 doesn't :classic_smile: . And yes, Premier Inn is a good chain, we've stayed at Premier Inns elsewhere.

For a one-night stay I'd always suggest an airport hotel. IMHO for one night it's really not worth schlepping your bags into London

For a 3 - 4 day stay, I'd always suggest a central London hotel. Airportland is pretty soul-less, you don't want that 45 minute tube ride every day, it's good to be able to freshen-up between sight-seeing during the day and and going out for the evening, and you're "in" London rather than "day-tripping" to London.

You're looking at two nights, right?  So figure which of the pros & cons of each are more important to you.

Only a minor point......

The coach fare to Southampton from Heathrow is £12 and upwards.

Form Victoria coach station it can be as little as £5, - even though the coach then goes via Heathrow. :classic_huh:

That's because the operators know that airport folk have to travel onward & there's no sensible rail alternative to the provinces, so they jack up the prices. But they want to encourage Londoners to take coach trips and they know there are rail and tour alternatives from central London, so they tempt folk with a low fare.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, John Bull said:

Right, Brian.

Or Paddington.

Or Waterloo.

- Two tube lines

HELP PLEASE!

We are staying at a hotel a mile from Heathrow.  We want to take the train to Southampton.  It is my understanding that we can take the tube to the Waterloo station and get on the train there.  When I clicked on your link for National Rail, I receive an error message.  When I try to search for it on Google, I find a link and get the same error message.  Has the train company recently changed names?  Or is the link just not good from the US?  Do you know?

Thanks so much.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:19 PM, brian1 said:

Thanks John,for a more eloquent explanation as usual.Being a retired plumber,I was better at joining pipes than words,lol.

LOL, just saw your comment. We have much in common, I too used to be a plumber, I had to switch to a desk job due to health reasons.

7 hours ago, jbmom2120 said:

HELP PLEASE!

We are staying at a hotel a mile from Heathrow.  We want to take the train to Southampton.  It is my understanding that we can take the tube to the Waterloo station and get on the train there.  When I clicked on your link for National Rail, I receive an error message.  When I try to search for it on Google, I find a link and get the same error message.  Has the train company recently changed names?  Or is the link just not good from the US?  Do you know?

Thanks so much.

Try the London Toolkit, it has differing options for transfers to Southampton.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jbmom2120 said:

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks so much.

I've not had that problem, and I've not heard of others in the US having error problems on that website.

Mebbe a temporary glitch somewhere in the ether?

I set my search....

FROM London Waterloo

TO Southampton Central

DATE a random date within the next 90 days.

If selecting Heathrow as your start point, you'll be sent by train to London Paddington, then tube across central London to London Waterloo for those trains to Southampton - that's expensive, time-consuming, and fraught.

The tube isn't a great way to travel when you have luggage, especially Heathrow to Waterloo because it involves a change of tube train.

If your hotel is a mile south (or vaguely south) of Heathrow it's possible to take a bus or taxi to whichever is most-convenient of Staines or Feltham or Ashford (Surrey) or Hounslow or Upper Halliford or Hampton or Fulwell or Kempton Park for a direct train to Clapham Junction, where you change to a direct train to Southampton. Those are commuter trains, excellent frequency & not over-crowded if you avoid commuter time. This would avoid the grief of crossing central London with luggage, it's a lot quicker, and at around £10 to £20 (advance ticket, only good for the train time that you specify) is massively cheaper than going via central London - it might even make sense if your hotel is north of Heathrow.  Journey time around 2 hours, plus travel to station.

A further option is a RailAir bus from Heathrow to a mainline station (usually Woking, sometimes Reading) for a direct train to Southampton, but that's more expensive and no quicker.  

But of course all of that is a little complicated, and even more complicated if your travel is on a sunday (above info is for mon-sat), and such complications are part of the reason why I - and everyone else - suggest travelling from Heathrow to Southampton by bus.

Frequency isn't great, but that's not a concern if you're not flying in that day. Fare about  £12 to £24 depending how far out you pre-book and your time of travel. It's a direct service to Southampton from Heathrow central bus station or Ts 4 or 5, journey time about 2 hrs 15 mins.

Southampton central rail station and coach station are equi-distant from the cruise terminals - a taxi hop costing £7 to £10 from either. 

BTW, Mic's link to London Toolkit takes you to its central London-to-Southampton page, the Heathrow-to-London page is

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_southampton.htm

(surprise, surprise, that also recommends the bus)

Apart from perhaps the tour-transfer via Stonehenge if that appeals, the other options on their website aren't good value.

Hope this helps

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

I've not had that problem, and I've not heard of others in the US having error problems on that website.

Mebbe a temporary glitch somewhere in the ether?

I set my search....

FROM London Waterloo

TO Southampton Central

DATE a random date within the next 90 days.

If selecting Heathrow as your start point, you'll be sent by train to London Paddington, then tube across central London to London Waterloo for those trains to Southampton - that's expensive, time-consuming, and fraught.

The tube isn't a great way to travel when you have luggage, especially Heathrow to Waterloo because it involves a change of tube train.

If your hotel is a mile south (or vaguely south) of Heathrow it's possible to take a bus or taxi to whichever is most-convenient of Staines or Feltham or Ashford (Surrey) or Hounslow or Upper Halliford or Hampton or Fulwell or Kempton Park for a direct train to Clapham Junction, where you change to a direct train to Southampton. Those are commuter trains, excellent frequency & not over-crowded if you avoid commuter time. This would avoid the grief of crossing central London with luggage, it's a lot quicker, and at around £10 to £20 (advance ticket, only good for the train time that you specify) is massively cheaper than going via central London - it might even make sense if your hotel is north of Heathrow.  Journey time around 2 hours, plus travel to station.

A further option is a RailAir bus from Heathrow to a mainline station (usually Woking, sometimes Reading) for a direct train to Southampton, but that's more expensive and no quicker.  

But of course all of that is a little complicated, and even more complicated if your travel is on a sunday (above info is for mon-sat), and such complications are part of the reason why I - and everyone else - suggest travelling from Heathrow to Southampton by bus.

Frequency isn't great, but that's not a concern if you're not flying in that day. Fare about  £12 to £24 depending how far out you pre-book and your time of travel. It's a direct service to Southampton from Heathrow central bus station or Ts 4 or 5, journey time about 2 hrs 15 mins.

Southampton central rail station and coach station are equi-distant from the cruise terminals - a taxi hop costing £7 to £10 from either. 

BTW, Mic's link to London Toolkit takes you to its central London-to-Southampton page, the Heathrow-to-London page is

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_southampton.htm

(surprise, surprise, that also recommends the bus)

Apart from perhaps the tour-transfer via Stonehenge if that appeals, the other options on their website aren't good value.

Hope this helps

Thank you.  The bus it is.