Are these good ports for "beach days"?

We would like to do one or two "beach days" at the following ports. Any recommendations which ones are the best?

-Tenerife, Canary Islands

-Grand Canaria, Canary Islands

-Lanzarote, Canary Islands

-Vigo, Spain

-La Coruna

Cruise is in October.  Hoping weather will be nice and ocean warm enough to swim in!

Thanks. 🙂

I think your best bet is Gran Canaria or Lanzarote because they have good beaches and very little else to see or do. Be aware that although Tenerife is really popular for beach & sun holidays all year round the best beaches are in the south of the island. Cruise ships dock in the north of the island which is cooler than the south of the island.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 10:34 AM, marazul said:

The Canary islands are your best bet.  Vigo and La Coruña will not unless you like frigid water and, very likely, grey, drizzly weather.

Here is a website for sea temperatures in Spain.

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/spain/

How is the weather in Vigo and La Coruna in late June?

Vigo and La Coruña are in the province of Galicia in the NW corner of Spain.  They get the full effect of North Atlantic weather.  That means that they are infamous for drizzle most of the year.  The summers can be, and usually are, very pleasant in the 70s and 80s and the best bet for sunny days.   If you are thinking about beaches, the water temperature in July-August will be in the mid 60s.  To me that's frigid.   Don't forget La Coruña is at about the same latitude as Nova Scotia....

Edited by marazul

In Tenerife you can get a public transport bus outside the cruise terminal to Las Teresita beach which is about 8km away.

In Lanzarote you can get a taxi to a number of beaches.

in Gran Canaria you can walk to Las Canteras beach, considered one of the best urban beaches in Europe.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 6:08 PM, MaiTaiMary said:

We would like to do one or two "beach days" at the following ports. Any recommendations which ones are the best?

-Tenerife, Canary Islands

-Grand Canaria, Canary Islands

-Lanzarote, Canary Islands

-Vigo, Spain

-La Coruna

Cruise is in October.  Hoping weather will be nice and ocean warm enough to swim in!

Thanks. 🙂

Oct? I don't think so 😞

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, LondonTowner said:

In Tenerife you can get a public transport bus outside the cruise terminal to Las Teresita beach which is about 8km away.

In Lanzarote you can get a taxi to a number of beaches.

in Gran Canaria you can walk to Las Canteras beach, considered one of the best urban beaches in Europe.

Las Teresita beach sounds like a good option for our upcoming Celebrity Cruise(in port Oct.19th-a Saturday. Shall we plan on some time walking round the town near the port as well? Thanks! Julie

On 9/13/2019 at 8:59 PM, yogagal47 said:

Las Teresita beach sounds like a good option for our upcoming Celebrity Cruise(in port Oct.19th-a Saturday. Shall we plan on some time walking round the town near the port as well? Thanks! Julie

The centre of Santa Cruz is OK, but IMHO not the most interesting of towns

On 9/17/2019 at 1:45 AM, LondonTowner said:

The centre of Santa Cruz is OK, but IMHO not the most interesting of towns

The best beaches of Tenerife are in south island . 1h driving or more 

In Santa Cruz Cesar Manrique organized a wanderfull AQUA PARK , very cheap ( 2 E ) very very large swimming pools- garden  along the coast , with sea water , it may be wendy , as the north of island often is .

We are going there and few longer  at PALM GARDEN , a good walk , lots of bars and restaurants on sea side .

Eliane

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, counsdr said:

We will be in Lanzarote and Gran Canaria around November 10, 2020.

what will the weather be like? I’m assuming too cold to swim?

We were in the same areas in November of 2017 and we actually did go in water but up to our waists. It was pretty cold. Also, I remember both islands beaches being windy so we had some sand. We went to papagano in lanzarote and maspalomas in gran canaria. 

I'd rent a car and explore. Stop at the beaches just to see them, especially the sand dunes of maspolomas in canaria. I thought they were really neat.

20171109_100239.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, counsdr said:

Head down to the beach in Maspolomas,  Gran Canary. Its about 1 hour by bus opposite the cruise port in  Las Palmas. It has to be one of the best beaches in Europe, it also has huge sand dunes. In my experience swimming in the sea in Maspolomas during November is not a problem. If you head further into the beach be aware it is a nudist beach including a large gay beach area.

Maspolomas is at the very bottom of the island and is generally a couple of degrees warmer than the capital, Las Palmas. 

In Las Palmas there is Las Canteras beach, its about 10 minutes walk through the town from the cruise port, There are plenty of bars, restaurants lining the beach there. There is a smaller sand beach just to the left of the cruise port mainly used by locals, and about 5 minutes walk from the port.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, counsdr said:

We were in Lanzarote for most of November.  People were swimming most days, although we did get  a few windy days, when the sand blowing about made being on the beach uncomfortable. 

Unless you are fixated on having a beach day, I strongly suggest you visit the Timanfaya National Park - quite a surreal location.