What should be changed on the EDGE & APEX

ALWAYS CRUZIN

Not really a lot. These are our suggestions only. Not meant to upset anyone who thought the Edge was perfect. Here we go. The EDEN shows need to go. I think they are already doing away with them or at least changing them. ALL seating, so you can sit back and relax other than sitting on the edge of the seat or couch or a large seating sectional, not able to sit back at all without your legs going horizontal. So uncomfortable. Most all public area seating is that way except for the MDR, specialty dining, buffet and the martini area. Add some color to the ship instead of grey, chrome, silver and beige. Very dreary. Put nautical theme items around the ship. Clean the stained carpeting. Keep the interior glass spotless. Offer more times to go on the magic carpet. Weather was fine, it was closed. Put some sort of covering by the pool for inclement weather so you can go from the buffet to the burgers while it is raining without going to another deck and then up again. Get a new chef for the buffet. Same food, same layout on the Reflection. That food was excellent. As for the wooden statues and the big black horse. Could care less about those. Lots of open area with wasted space. No idea what they could do about that. Our bed was super hard. Can't change those. Woke up hurting every morning. Some people like that. We do not. Weather you agree or not. Any other suggestions?

16 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Not really a lot. These are our suggestions only. Not meant to upset anyone who thought the Edge was perfect. Here we go. The EDEN shows need to go. I think they are already doing away with them or at least changing them. ALL seating, so you can sit back and relax other than sitting on the edge of the seat or couch or a large seating sectional, not able to sit back at all without your legs going horizontal. So uncomfortable. Most all public area seating is that way except for the MDR, specialty dining, buffet and the martini area. Add some color to the ship instead of grey, chrome, silver and beige. Very dreary. Put nautical theme items around the ship. Clean the stained carpeting. Keep the interior glass spotless. Offer more times to go on the magic carpet. Weather was fine, it was closed. Put some sort of covering by the pool for inclement weather so you can go from the buffet to the burgers while it is raining without going to another deck and then up again. Get a new chef for the buffet. Same food, same layout on the Reflection. That food was excellent. As for the wooden statues and the big black horse. Could care less about those. Lots of open area with wasted space. No idea what they could do about that. Our bed was super hard. Can't change those. Woke up hurting every morning. Some people like that. We do not. Weather you agree or not. Any other suggestions?

Instead of changing Edge why not just sail on S-Class which seems more to your liking?  It is clear from your other posts and you have out right stated on numerous posts that you hated Edge.  So why continue to beat a dead horse?  Celebrity will make some improvements to Edge and E-Class over time but it will not turn E-Class back into S-Class.  So just sail S-Class or M-Class.  Many people who did not like Edge are doing just that.  Why come here and keep beating up on Edge?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I've not been on Edge, but just by looking at the photos I think that magic carpet thing on the side going up and down looks a bit weird  - kind of like it doesn't belong there

We have been on the ship and  have seen the  MC from outside  the ship and inside.

Did not use the MC to tender,  but sat out in the morning on the Solarium level for post breakfast  drinks.  It was so peaceful, tranquil,  with great views.

Next cruise on EDGE, we hope to try dining there , go for  sunset views or  drinks in the evening.

We think it should stay,  but agree it has a neg impact on cabins along the tracks  We stayed on the other side of the ship 

Heard they will have more wind protection on APEX.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Instead of changing Edge why not just sail on S-Class which seems more to your liking?  It is clear from your other posts and you have out right stated on numerous posts that you hated Edge.  So why continue to beat a dead horse?  Celebrity will make some improvements to Edge and E-Class over time but it will not turn E-Class back into S-Class.  So just sail S-Class or M-Class.  Many people who did not like Edge are doing just that.  Why come here and keep beating up on Edge?

Why beat up on me, now it is your turn. Guess you just do not like anything negatives about your precious EDGE. I was giving my thoughts on making it better. Not looking for nasty remarks. Guess you cannot see that. Your problem not mine,.

• Like 5

I'd add to OPs list that prices need to come back to reasonable fleet levels. IV's need to be listed as Oceanview with a sometimes openable window. A table needs to be added to staterooms to allow guests to dine in their cabins. Footstools and higher backed chairs should be substituted for the current furniture. IV's need to be altered to allow cabin to remain cool when the window is opened by making the foldable doors airtight (that would also allow occupants of the cabins to be able to spray sunscreen or insect repellant without having the fumes in their cabin). The boxes that house the electric outlets at the desk need to be removed since they are difficult to manage with some larger plugs like those from hair dryers. There needs to be more closet space to allow for long items to be hung.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Why beat up on me, now it is your turn. Guess you just do not like anything negatives about your precious EDGE. I was giving my thoughts on making it better. Not looking for nasty remarks. Guess you cannot see that. Your problem not mine,.

If you follow my previous posts on sailing my "Precious Edge" which is your language, I think they have been overall balanced.  I am not taking a turn to beat up on you.  No need to feel beat up on these boards if some people simply disagree with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is clear from your other posts and you have out right stated on numerous posts that you hated Edge.  So why continue to beat a dead horse?  I do not think this was necessary. I do not see this as disagreeing. This post had nothing to do with hating the EDGE. So I consider your remarks as insults.

Someone recently off a recent EDGE sailing will be doing a review and posting some news about EDGE improvements that I think we will like..frosted glass on the bi folds, new  IV chairs on order, etc.  

Hope this thread grows in a positive way.,. B/c X has been listening and changing what it can....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

It is clear from your other posts and you have out right stated on numerous posts that you hated Edge.  So why continue to beat a dead horse?  I do not think this was necessary. I do not see this as disagreeing. This post had nothing to do with hating the EDGE. So I consider your remarks as insults.

twoday- remarks are not personal insults.  Really sorry you feel that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

twoday- remarks are not personal insults.  Really sorry you feel that way.

It was a remark against me. Nothing to do with the post. He stated other posts. So why bring it up here? So now I can not say anything constructive about the EDGE without those remarks. Love the EDGE great. 

Coming late to this thread, but am curious if X or any other cruise line consults with former pax about features they're contemplating for new ships to see if those changes would work, so to speak.  Thinking specifically of the Magic Carpet and the IV cabins.

Celebrity does read all  Cruisecritic reviews. At least that is what they told me. I believe them because they are addressing the problems that have been on the reviews. As for the Magic Carpet. Yes a gimmick, as is the Rising Tide Bar on Royals Harmony. The basic problems with the Magic Carpet. Closed to often (Not because of weather) buy, yes the weather is also a problem. Especially for dining on it.  If you hit it right to get on it for a drink. It is nice. It is not used to board non Celebrity tenders.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:17 PM, twodaywonder said:

Agree with all you said.

Never been on Edge, and have no desire to do so in the near future- that ship does just no appeal to me! I also think they may do away with the Shows in Eden- or on Eden, whatever . Reminds me very much of this Cirque de Soleil thing they tried on board the Millenium Class ships. I felt sorry though for those hard working artists- I am sure they - as the preformers of Eden did  their best - and to no avail!

It just didn´t catch!

As for the Magic Carpet - hm- eye catcher, gimic, totaly superflous IMO. That attachment may work in the carribbean- but in northern Europe- I don´t know"!

Edited by Germancruiser

We sailed on Silhouette departing from Ft. Lauderdale the same day Edge sailed her inaugural voyage. Several times during our 12 day cruise we saw Edge at sea. Each time the MC was lit up brightly at night. We commented that it must be awful to have a cabin on that side of the ship. It also didn't look much like a luxury cruise ship, but more like a theme park attraction at sea. 

The Edge does seem to be a ‘Marmite’ ship...you either love it or hate it!

At present we have not cruised or booked on Edge so no opinions. Our decision not to cruise on it yet is based simply on cost. We will try it one day and board with an open mind.

Did X ever ask anyone (questionnaires) pre Edge what they wanted from a new ship? I can’t recall ever receiving one although over the years we have received several additional questionnaires re destinations, cruise patterns etc....

Having sailed on the Edge and enjoyed most of the ship, I have some suggestions.  First, the rooftop garden needs an enclosure, like the Lawn club grill has on the Silhouette and Reflection.  The sun and wind makes it difficult to enjoy it.  We had to leave as it was uncomfortable.  AC and Heat would be a great addition and make the venue usable in all types of weather.  Didn't enjoy Eden- found the characters in the restaurant intrusive and annoying- The best gimmick in a restaurant was in the new Qsine le petite chef.  The Martini bar is a shell of the premium Ice Martini bars on other ships- first, no ice- a fake plastic statue and it is much too small.  The dark exotic forest hallway  is a waste of space. Maybe something innovative and practical could be placed in this dark hallway.

The sky suites need to have the big impractical rocker removed.  Should have a coffee table so you can dine in your stateroom should you desire.  This is the same for the balcony- needs a decent table.  I agree about the magic carpet.  It is important to consider cabins/suites near this mechanism and its tracks to be sold partially obstructed cabins/suites.  I understand Celebrity wants new and innovative design, but sometimes they should consider all issues, maybe consult with passengers before implementing.  Also, the infinite balcony cabins should be sold as Windowed staterooms, as that is really what they are.

We will be sailing on the Edge again next year, and hope that some modifications have taken place.  If not, we will consider other ships and cruiselines in the future.

Edited by Cruise a holic

9 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

We sailed on Silhouette departing from Ft. Lauderdale the same day Edge sailed her inaugural voyage. Several times during our 12 day cruise we saw Edge at sea. Each time the MC was lit up brightly at night. We commented that it must be awful to have a cabin on that side of the ship. It also didn't look much like a luxury cruise ship, but more like a theme park attraction at sea. 

I was nervous about all the neon type bright lights on board...inside and out. It is  def overdone  and I believe  also now on other X ships but to a lesser extent.

I did not get any headaches from the theater lighting.. although some is quite bright.  We missed the light show at the Martini bar..maybe next time.. but the gen lighting there was fine.

Outdoors, the colored  lighting looks nice at night, esp my favorites on the pool deck..the butterfly sculpture..It was all great  for the White Night deck party.

Lighting of the MC can be harsh at night..but our cabin was on the other side...sure it can be seen from quire a distance.

Overall I prefer more subtle lighting but it was not as intrusive as I thought it might be.

Edited by hcat

20 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

It was a remark against me. Nothing to do with the post. He stated other posts. So why bring it up here? So now I can not say anything constructive about the EDGE without those remarks. Love the EDGE great. 

I guess the best thing to do here is to move forward as you took something as a personal insult that was not meant to be one and I stated that I was sorry that you felt that way.  By the way we have agreed on other posts about other ships (Reflection and Harmony).  I have no ill will toward you.  So I think the best thing here is for us to use the button and ignore each other's posts.  Pleasant cruising in the future.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

I was nervous about all the neon type bright lights on board...inside and out. It is  def overdone  and I believe  also now on other X ships but to a lesser extent.

I did not get any headaches from the theater lighting.. although some is quite bright.  We missed the light show at the Martini bar..maybe next time.. but the gen lighting there was fine.

Outdoors, the colored  lighting looks nice at night, esp my favorites on the pool deck..the butterfly sculpture..It was all great  for the White Night deck party.

Lighting of the MC can be harsh at night..but our cabin was on the other side...sure it can be seen from quire a distance.

Overall I prefer more subtle lighting but it was not as intrusive as I thought it might be.

Thanks for your insight. Its always good to hear the opinions of others and one of the great things about CC.  DH and I have agreed that Edge and her coming sibling ships aren't for us due to other factors I've mentioned in precious posts (IVs, lack of views in Blu, lack of tables in cabins, pricing) but the lighting wouldn't have kept us from the ship.  We remain glad we didn't book on day one and are enjoying other options at the moment.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

The sky suites need to have the big impractical rocker removed.  Should have a coffee table so you can dine in your stateroom should you desire.  This is the same for the balcony- needs a decent table. 

The rockers have been gone for quite a while and coffee tables were added to the Sky Suites. Some have reported getting a bigger table for the balcony, but not sure if that is consistent. 🙂