Discoverer leaving Silversea fleet.

Rocchi

I haven't sailed on Discoverer, but I heard fairly negative feedback about her and the condition she was in.  ? low ceiling height was also an issue.  I was onboard Shadow last year when it was announced that she would be leaving the fleet and there was very little reaction from guests.

It's a sign of the times.. bigger and bigger and….ships

We enjoyed the  Discoverer with Silversea but the ship was , in many ways, unsuited to the role.

Even the classic and much loved PAII is in grave danger from  the big is better syndrome.

Lets all continue to enjoy one of the worlds classic small ships while we can 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We sailed on Discoverer in the Kimberley (Australia).  The ship was somewhat cramped and tired.  The expedition crew, and the port stops, on the other hand, were absolutely FANTASTIC.  Hopefully they will keep this itinerary and team but on a more comfortable ship.  I don't think the ship itself will be all that much missed.  However they definitely do need a SMALL ship on an expedition such as this one; you cannot go ashore alone and the experience would be much less pleasing if not everyone got to go or people had to take turns getting out to the ports.  Bigger is NOT better when you rely on having small groups with the guides and you spend your days on inflatables.

We sailed on her around Papua New Guinea this past June-July, and had a fantastic time.  I didn't notice the ship looking tired and cramped, but then again, we both are into port visits and view the ship as not much more than a glorified bus with food.  But this is the way to expedition cruise, we only had 94 pass onboard (it was sold out, it had that many singles), and zodiac was the majority of the time.  Of course, the small ship meant we got to go to many very off the beaten path places, and that was why we booked this one.  I will be sorry to see the ship go away, but hopefully they can replace it with a similar sized ship.

I have fond memories of this ship when it was called Clipper Odyssey.  Yes it had its drawbacks but over four cruises this ship took me to some of the most memorable and most remote places I've ever been.  Here she is visiting Wallis & Futuna -

DSC_5961.jpg

• Like 1