Silver Shadow Refurbishment

zigtraveller

1 hour ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Since the last cruise before drydock in Athens on 11/2, it appears that the it maybe in Europe?

Thanks.  That's certainly a possibility.  However, if the dry dock were in Europe and they have to get Shadow over to the Caribbean, wouldn't one expect them to offer a transatlantic crossing from Europe to North America?  The ship simply appears on the schedule again in Ft Lauderdale.  This made me think that perhaps the drydock was being carried out in the Bahamas, etc.  Am I missing something (again)?

1 minute ago, DCCruiser57 said:

No, but if the drydock was in the Bahamas, don't you think they would offer a pre drydock transatlantic to max revenue?  However, maybe they are going to do prep work on the crossing?

I had considered this very possibility -- tearing the ship's interior apart -- on the crossing.  That would imply using a shipyard somewhere in North America.  But then I began to wonder whether the shipyard and its workers were affected by the hurricane.   

I’m pretty sure she is going into a European yard, I think it might be Fincantieri.

I was on the crossing that was cancelled for the extended dry dock - I looked for a replacement crossing but it never appeared, I suspect there’ll still be work going on while they bring her across for the Caribbean season. 

It’s still very unusual and rather strange to miss the opportunity for a revenue cruise. 

Edited by jollyjones

52 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I suspect there’ll still be work going on while they bring her across for the Caribbean season. 

It’s still very unusual and rather strange to miss the opportunity for a revenue cruise. 

Your suspicion seems very plausible.  Perhaps the ship will leave the shipyard with its (much improved) interior a mess.  The crew would spend the days of the crossing to clean, polish, restock, etc.

On 5/15/2019 at 9:36 AM, Observer said:

Also scheduled for comprehensive renovation are The Restaurant, La Terrazza, Panorama Lounge, The Bar, The Show Lounge and Card/Conference Rooms.

After our first SS cruise on the Muse, so happy to see La Terrazza & Panorama will also be on the Shadow for our next sailing!  Is it correct to think of The Restaurant as sort of a predecessor of Atlantide and Indochine?

Responding to an earlier discussion in this thread, the menu in Indochine changed significantly midway through our 7 night cruise.  Atlantide may also have changed, just didn't get a chance to check.  Enjoyed both of these restaurants tremendously. 

On 9/9/2019 at 11:33 PM, Observer said:

Is it possible that the hurricane will have this indirect effect on Silversea (as it has on so many people in the area)? 

So far, there has been no word from SS regarding any change to our 12/3 FLL departure on the Shadow.

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Is it correct to think of The Restaurant as sort of a predecessor of Atlantide and Indochine?

So far, there has been no word from SS regarding any change to our 12/3 FLL departure on the Shadow.

Good news about the 12/3 FLL departure.  Had the hurricane greatly changed the dry dock schedule, you would probably have heard by now.

The Restaurant is really like most ships' main dining rooms.  The menu (which changes every night) is more like Atlantide.  Mainly French/American/etc foods.  There are, however, occasional Asian dishes.  And special orders like soft shell crabs, sautéed calves live, curries, etc., can be produced on request (with 24 hour notice and, of course, dependent upon ingredients being on ship.) 

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, Observer said:

Good news about the 12/3 FLL departure.  Had the hurricane greatly changed the dry dock schedule, you would probably have heard by now.

The Restaurant is really like most ships' main dining rooms.  The menu (which changes every night) is more like Atlantide.  Mainly French/American/etc foods.  There are, however, occasional Asian dishes.  And special orders like soft shell crabs, sautéed calves live, curries, etc., can be produced on request (with 24 hour notice and, of course, dependent upon ingredients being on ship.) 

I do hope PETA doesn't find out.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Just got the brochure for 2020/2021 cruises.  Interesting to note that SS is only showing the current deck plan for the Shadow and not the post drydock plan.

If you go to the main SS web page,

click on ships

click on Silver Shadow

click on deck plan

you now have 3 pages of deck plans to Dec 4 2020 and 3 pages suite details

on Dec 4 2020 plan they have changed the suite levels. Crafty!!!

Edited by beaujolais
edit

Hello QueSeraSera & Mrs. QSS. It was wonderful meeting you both on the Alaska adventure. The cruise continued to be great all the way to Tokyo with only 1 evening of rocky weather (Hakadote had to be canceled but we got an extra day in Tokyo.)  So happy to see you booked the Shadow. I will certainly look forward to hearing your thoughts after the refurbishment.  We will be sailing on it in late Jan. so I'll welcome your thoughts.  All the best to you both !

• Like 1

Thank you nowornever, so good to hear from you.  It was certainly our pleasure to meet you and your husband!  I'm so glad the rest of the cruise went well, we both wished we could stay aboard.  But it is on the bright side for all of us to have another SS cruise coming up pretty soon 😉

• 2 months later...

MySilversea says 3 days until sailing, Port Everglades shows the Shadow arriving as planned at Pier 25, Cruisemapper indicates the ship is closing in (although I have no idea how to judge distance & time on their map) - it is looking like its a go for 12/03 departure out of FLL.  Already started packing, ensuring clothes will be clean but wrinkled... 😉

This thread has been helpful to us as we came to understand the cruise we had booked almost a year ago.  Thank you for starting it @zigtraveller and for the many informative posts from others.  

I'll post my observations here but I do think the posts from you more experienced cruisers will be the most meaningful to others.

• Like 1

Port Everglades cruise schedule shows a 12/2 arrival @ 7:00 AM with the 12/3 departure @ 6:00 PM.  I suspect 12/2 arrival is to disembark remaining work crews, provision the ship with supplies, and have new staff arrive.  Looking forward to reports about the make over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1