Makeup question

On 5/23/2019 at 9:35 PM, slidergirl said:

Which MAC shadows did you find?   I have some old standards in neutrals - Coquette and Wedge.  

I normally stay away from shimmery near my eyes but the neutral is Naked Lunch Frost and actually does brighten instead of highlighting any tiny wrinkles. The peachy look is Fashion's Field Day Frost. This one can double as a light blush. I still use Moon's Reflection in the veuve pearl fashion lightly on the outer eye or as a light liner but the Naked Lunch is great for the inner eye area.

I am just hoping for warm and dry! Wisconsin has been just chilly and sodden this spring.

On 5/23/2019 at 10:28 PM, msdiggerj said:

Thank you for the tips; much appreciated!  I love Clinique products so I'll look for the BIY tint. 

Your trip sounds amazing - have a fantastic time!

Same here with much of Clinique. I use their foundation and the Drastically Different Moisturizer and when not sunny out just dark spot corrector. For flying a drop of BIY added to the moisturizer is fine for me. I found Lancome and Stila's tinted moisturizers to not be moist enough. That and Neutrogena lip gloss because planes are so drying. 

On 5/26/2019 at 12:25 PM, NorthernLite said:

I normally stay away from shimmery near my eyes but the neutral is Naked Lunch Frost and actually does brighten instead of highlighting any tiny wrinkles. The peachy look is Fashion's Field Day Frost. This one can double as a light blush. I still use Moon's Reflection in the veuve pearl fashion lightly on the outer eye or as a light liner but the Naked Lunch is great for the inner eye area.

I am just hoping for warm and dry! Wisconsin has been just chilly and sodden this spring.

Naked Lunch is nice.  

You might also want to look at Urban Decay's Naked palettes.  Or, some of their single shadows.  I'm a neutrals person and they have some good ones.

Hint for travelers:  check how much moisturizer is left in your tube that you pack.  I just got back from vacation Thursday night.  I thought I had picked up my full sample size of Caudalie moisturizing mousse.  Turns out I pulled the one that had 1 day left!!!   When I went to Walgreens to buy the rest of my stuff (sunscreen, bug stuff, aloe), I picked up a bottle of Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair with SPF 30.  Very nice and light on the skin.  At $20, it was a good buy for me.  

Edited by slidergirl

On 5/15/2019 at 10:25 AM, msdiggerj said:

Hi all, quick question - heading to Alaska on HAL next month -first cruise and first trip to Alaska.  I was planning on packing my makeup bag in the checked luggage but it hit me last night that our travel agent mentioned we would need to place any checked luggage out in the hallway the night before disembarkation.  How do I put my makeup on the morning we leave to come home if it's already gone with the checked bag?  I'm guessing I need to carry makeup in the carry-on, right?  How do those of you who wear makeup handle this?  Thanks for considering my silly question!

I NEVER check my makeup.  It's not something I can just walk into any store to replace and it would cost hundreds of dollars to do so.  Keep it out of the checked baggage and pack it along with valuables, electronics, jewelry, travel documents, your passports, etc. in your carry on.  I also pack a clean shirt and change of underwear as well as an overnight survival kit with toothbrush and paste, and mini sizes of face wash and cream, hand lotion, deodorant, brush, etc. in case I mis-connect and have to spend the night someplace.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 4:30 AM, lab_love123 said:

I always keep my makeup in my carry-on. I've had tubes explode and pressed powders cracked a few times when I keep in checked luggage... and it's too expensive to have to chance having to replace it after travelling! Most liquid makeup is less than 3oz, and if you don't use a lot of liquid makeup, you don't have to keep most of it in the TSA-approved bag. I don't really like too much liquid makeup, so most of my stuff are powders.

If your makeup doesn't fit this approach and you want smaller containers of makeup, you could check out stores like Ulta or Sephora. Right by the registers, they have displays with smaller, sample sizes of stuff. For foundation, you can always ask for a sample at Sephora. They can sometimes give you a tiny sample. Not enough for multiple applications - but enough for a single day. 

That's really odd that you've had things explode.  The luggage area is both pressurized and temp controlled.  That's where pets ride.  Weird.

I just looked an my Estee Lauder foundation is only 1oz. so no problem.

I'm not sure about this comment:  "Most liquid makeup is less than 3oz, and if you don't use a lot of liquid makeup, you don't have to keep most of it in the TSA-approved bag.."  All liquids to be carried on have to be, individually, under 3 oz. and they have to be in a quart zipping.

I never wear mascara on long flights cause most of it comes off.  I remember decades ago someone saying that your passport photo should be awful looking cause that's how you're going to look 🙂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, clo said:

That's really odd that you've had things explode.  The luggage area is both pressurized and temp controlled.  That's where pets ride.  Weird.

I think it was more of a crushing from being piled under other bags (and a poor pack job by myself) rather than the pressure of the cargo hold. 

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm not sure about this comment:  "Most liquid makeup is less than 3oz, and if you don't use a lot of liquid makeup, you don't have to keep most of it in the TSA-approved bag.."  All liquids to be carried on have to be, individually, under 3 oz. and they have to be in a quart zipping.

I just meant that non-liquid makeup doesn’t have to be in your quart sized bag. Powders like eye shadow, or pencils like eyeliner don’t have to be put in that bag. So, if you don’t use a lot of liquid makeup, you’re not taking up a lot of room in the quart bag. 

1 minute ago, lab_love123 said:

I think it was more of a crushing from being piled under other bags (and a poor pack job by myself) rather than the pressure of the cargo hold. 

I just meant that non-liquid makeup doesn’t have to be in your quart sized bag. Powders like eye shadow, or pencils like eyeliner don’t have to be put in that bag. So, if you don’t use a lot of liquid makeup, you’re not taking up a lot of room in the quart bag. 

Yeah, packing is a whole 'nother' thing.  I put things like that - always in zipping bags - in the middle of the suitcase with fabric items all around.

16 hours ago, clo said:

Want to check that again?  On most planes there are two holds.  One is pressurized and temperature controlled, the other is not.  Many carriers have  stopped carrying pets that can ride under the seat in the main cabin.

11 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Want to check that again?  On most planes there are two holds.  One is pressurized and temperature controlled, the other is not.  Many carriers have  stopped carrying pets that can ride under the seat in the main cabin.

The only area that MIGHT not be pressurized and temp control is some parts of cargo.  But because some cargo has those needs also it would vary with the airplane and anyone would know to check.  Regarding where bags and pets are placed it IS pressurized and temp controlled.  I have both personal and professional knowledge about this.  And, accept for true service animals, all others must be kept in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you.  My dog only weighs 10# and it was a snug fit.  I don't make stuff up.

5 hours ago, clo said:

The only area that MIGHT not be pressurized and temp control is some parts of cargo.  But because some cargo has those needs also it would vary with the airplane and anyone would know to check.  Regarding where bags and pets are placed it IS pressurized and temp controlled.  I have both personal and professional knowledge about this.  And, accept for true service animals, all others must be kept in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you.  My dog only weighs 10# and it was a snug fit.  I don't make stuff up.

I've seen luggage loaded into the aft hold--which as you know is not temperature controlled or pressurized.  It's my understanding that they do this when they have a lot of cargo that requires special handling--produce, flowers, etc. as opposed to benign air freight.

56 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I've seen luggage loaded into the aft hold--which as you know is not temperature controlled or pressurized.  It's my understanding that they do this when they have a lot of cargo that requires special handling--produce, flowers, etc. as opposed to benign air freight.

Here's some more info:  https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8252/are-cargo-holds-pressurised-these-days

You had commented that yours was poorly packed.  I'm moving on from this.

Having had to ship our last dog, an 18 month old golden retriever, from Berlin to Baltimore-Washington by way of Atlanta I know there is a pressurized and temperature controlled area in passenger jets. The problem for pets is the heat or a/c only gets turned on when the plane takes off and overheating deaths were the cause of why most airlines now restrict pets to under the seat or service dogs. And now, the reason for shipping her, scares the beegesus out of me for any dog in that hold. My wheelchair, stripped of arm rests, foot rests and gel cushion, has been mangled by other gate checked luggage on a regular basis by American based carriers. It appears other countries' airlines know how much some of them cost both to fix and to be left "legless" as Senator Duckworth put it after her powerchair was pretty much destroyed recently. 

As far as make up exploding in the regular hold that must be a rare occurance as the military ships 500 pounds of cargo by plane for military families to survive on until their remaining belongings arrive by ship and train. I have never heard of anything exploding although it is possible I guess for something in the main hold to freeze and break. 

I just keep everything but my brushes and travel make up mirror in my wheelchair back pack or my small personal item with my medications and eReader. BTW, the TSA has now added tablets to iPad and laptops that need to be removed for scanning.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - we have been on our Alaskan cruise and returned safe and sound.  It was amazing!  Just as a follow up, at the last minute I became so overwhelmed with packing that I put all toiletries, including my makeup in our hanging toiletry bag and placed it in the checked luggage bag.  I did put anything liquid into small ziploc baggies in case they were to break or spill.  Thankfully, the toiletry bag and makeup survived the checked bag to Seattle and back.  No leaks or issues.  I do appreciate the advice on decanting some items; that saved quite a bit of room in the toiletry bag.  Thanks again for all of the tips!