Credit Card in Russia

Six of us going on a Baltic Cruise in August.  Two of us (me!) want to book our tour with a private company as we feel we'll have smaller numbers and more personalized service. Four of our group insist they will never use a credit card in Russia "(if they can hack the U.S. election, they can hack my credit card!!)" and want to go on the ship excursions...ok so my question is ... is there any way of booking a tour without paying with credit card?  And please don't tell me that it won't happen.  They won't believe it.  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, CanuckinSMA said:

Six of us going on a Baltic Cruise in August.  Two of us (me!) want to book our tour with a private company as we feel we'll have smaller numbers and more personalized service. Four of our group insist they will never use a credit card in Russia "(if they can hack the U.S. election, they can hack my credit card!!)" and want to go on the ship excursions...ok so my question is ... is there any way of booking a tour without paying with credit card?  And please don't tell me that it won't happen.  They won't believe it.  Thanks!

You can pay in Russian Rubles cash rather than using a credit card.

If its a private tour that requires prepayment, you have a couple options:

• You pay for all six and they reimburse you
  • They can go to a bank and buy a prepaid Visa Card loaded with the proper amount and consider it a one time use card (They can do this if it is a pay in Russia arrangement as well)

We're going to use Alla Tours when around the Baltic in June/July, very easy to deal with, our consultant was Eugenia, you can pay with credit card or cash 1st day or pay the invoice before you go - easy as the payment is secure 

3 minutes ago, CanuckinSMA said:

Comparing tours - most of the private ones have max. 16 people.  Any idea what the max people is for ship excursion? Thx. 

When I checked with NCL several years ago, the max was 50!

Edited by dogs4fun

I am sorry, you have the same chance of your cc being hacked by Russian hackers in US,  as in Russia itself. Internet doesnt discriminate on the country of origin :)

Our private tour required deposit of $100 that we made by Paypal and the rest is payable to the operator in USD upon arrival. 

You are right . Insist on the  private tour.   40 in a huge bus is 32 too many.   We had 6 with Ulko tours . Fantastic. Paid with a credit card. You could set up a one time card but it really would be a waste of time.   P.S. You don’t need rubles either.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:41 PM, CanuckinSMA said:

Four of our group insist they will never use a credit card in Russia "(if they can hack the U.S. election, they can hack my credit card!!)" and want to go on the ship excursions...ok so my question is ... is there any way of booking a tour without paying with credit card?  And please don't tell me that it won't happen.  They won't believe it.  Thanks!

FWIW: I have visited Russia multiple times and use my credit card almost exclusively. My card has never been hacked in Russia (or Europe, for that matter). My card HAS been compromised twice - both times for purchases made within the USA (both times from my home city in Colorado).