Our life on the Edge, 28 April 2019 TA, some photos & video

Silkroad

10 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Girl, you forgot to mention that they'd already called, "all aboard"!  That's real love❤️👫❤️

Suzy's DH is a class act,  but I must say that I did envision him getting left behind in the rain, waving good bye in the pink raincoat. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Awesome....

We have been cruising closer to home recently ( hate to fly) ..but these last few  ports are VERY tempting...

Thanks😊 I don’t mind flying, but I hate to sit for hours. My back hates it too. Stay tuned for the rest of our wonderful day in Bilbao...

Edited by Silkroad

40 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Suzy's DH is a class act,  but I must say that I did envision him getting left behind in the rain, waving good bye in the pink raincoat. 😀

He’s also a very fit class act! Once he saw Irene waving the pink jacket to show him she’d found it, he sprinted from their corner aft suite on deck 11 to midship, down several flights of stairs, down the gangway, and through the terminal to meet her. He then had to race back through the terminal to the gangway before Edge pulled away. 🏃‍♂️

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

He’s also a very fit class act! Once he saw Irene waving the pink jacket to show him she’d found it, he sprinted from their corner aft suite on deck 11 to midship, down several flights of stairs, down the gangway, and through the terminal to meet her. He then had to race back through the terminal to the gangway before Edge pulled away. 🏃‍♂️

Wow! I hope someone got a video of Irene waving the coat and of him running out to get it. Great story!

4 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Wow! I hope someone got a video of Irene waving the coat and of him running out to get it. Great story!

I wish we had. We had been looking out our window after the "all aboard" signal, and noticed that Irene and a couple other guides were still chatting out in the parking lot. My DH thinks he must have left the window just before Irene found the jacket. Maybe someone else on the ship managed to video the scene☺️ I think Suzy's pink rain jacket (which looks fabulous on her BTW) is destined for an exciting life😎

• Like 1

Bilbao continued...

I was really looking forward to our stop for pinxos (the Basque name for small plates of food, akin to Spanish tapas or Venetian cicchetti) and local wine. Our guide, Irene, took us in to order two at a time. DH an I put ourselves in her hands, and ordered some delicious soup (Sopa de Iziazab) and ribs (Costilla Vaca), along with her favorite local white wine for me😋 This stop was taking the place of lunch, but we weren't sure how much to order. DH ended up going back to order a slice of a potato dish for us to share. Everything we had was excellent.Two of our friends ordered more than they could eat, so I got to try another dish (little balls containing squid, I think) that was also great😜 I wish we had more photos of the food, but we've only the one, which is of the soup.

20190510_122411.thumb.jpg.17bf4656e22feb4d484c228ca771706a.jpg

20190510_122403.jpg

• Like 1

After our pintxos break, we continued our walk around Bilbao, stopping to try the lightest chocolate truffles I've ever had, some local cider, and what Irene called the original pintxo, olives, a mild pepper, and fresh anchovy threaded onto a toothpick. Yum😋

DSCN0229.JPG

DSCN0235.JPG

DSCN0237.JPG

Edited by Silkroad

These were taken at the Mercado (market). This was a beautiful space, which was filled with enough foods & spices to tempt any dedicated cook or food lover (and I am both). Taking photos of the numerous food counters would have taken all day, but I wanted to capture the beautiful windows and ceiling. This is where we had the chance to try the original pintxo I described in a previous post😋 

DSCN0248.thumb.JPG.236a1c9fe49106fbc44f786d64072f5a.JPG20190510_134647.jpg

20190510_134655.jpg

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2

I keep reading through all of this, Michelle, and am happy to relive it again and again through your eyes and especially your words.  Actually, this is comforting to me.  The day with Irene was so full of new experiences, fun and friendship...love Bilbao and so happy offered this to us...It exceded expectations!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

This brings us to the end of our private tour in Bilbao. We left the park, returned to the port, and said goodbye to our wonderful guide, Irene.

DH and I didn't have much time to drop our bags in our cabin & freshen up, because we had been invited to a Concierge Sail Away party at 4:45 pm, to be held on the small forward deck area in front of the spa. I was very excited, because I love being at the bow for sail away, and I would finally be able to visit the Golden Penguins! Alas, I was unable to get a clear shot of the penguins, because we weren't the only ones who wanted a selfie with them😂 This isn't a great photo, because I prefer to use crowd shots without recognizable faces for CC posts, and the sky had turned a bit more gloomy. Even so, those of you who haven't been out there can get an idea of the space.

20190510_172055a1.jpg

Edited by Silkroad

This night, we dined with friends, in Normandie. Unlike our first time there, we had a lovely, relaxing dinner. We weren't interested in the show being presented in the theater that night, but we wanted to check out Revelation at Eden instead. 

When we arrived in Eden, we feared we'd not find seats, but a couple at a table for four kindly let us share their table☺️ We weren't in the first ring of people around the stage, so we thought we were safe😂 As the show progressed, Edenists began inviting people to join them at the stage. The Edenist nearest us was having no luck getting a participant, so before long I was being asked to go up. I didn't want to be rude to the nice Edenist, so up I went. Thankfully, DH didn't think to video my brief stage turn🤣 We had a great time at the show, and thoroughly enjoyed the performance. 

I did get a little bit of the show on video. I had to edit it, so I hope this works...

Edited by Silkroad

4 minutes ago, vkb2751 said:

Here is a different picture on the same day!

Meenu

Thanks so much Meenu! I'm very fond of those penguins☺️ It was great to see you two again, and we hope to meet again soon...

Michelle

Viewing the video clip I posted, and thinking about the show, I realize how little justice my little clip does to the performance. I regret not capturing more of it, but I know longer (and better quality) video clips of this show exist. We will definitely check out the Eden show again when we return to Edge next May☺️

Random photos & video taken in Eden late one night, after the show had ended, but the lights & music hadn't yet been turned off. In this lighting, segments of the stage seem to visually meld with the carpet. I wonder if the stage was designed this way for a reason (such as the acrobatics) or strictly for effect.

20190507_000524.jpg

20190507_000543.jpg

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Silkroad said:

The Edenist nearest us was having no luck getting a participant, so before long I was being asked to go up. I didn't want to be rude to the nice Edenist, so up I went. Thankfully, DH didn't think to video my brief stage turn🤣 We had a great time at the show, and thoroughly enjoyed the performance. 

You are my hero! So cool that you were part of the show. What I wouldn't give for a video! 🙂