Getting to Manhattan cruise port with least hassle as solo?

perditax

Considering a Bermuda cruise out of NYC. Have never done this port and only have a little NYC experience. I’ll be solo but with some awkward/large luggage and don’t want to play the “figure out the subways/trains” game by myself.

Is the easiest thing to do just to grab a taxi at the airport straight to the terminal? 

I’m not looking for cheapest, just least hassle. I’m even considering a cruise line transfer this time, which I would typically never do. 

• Like 1

In New York, yes taxi would be best. Plentiful and easy. The "East Coast Departures" board might have info on pricing for airport to cruise terminal.

If it's not very expensive, the cruise line transfer is convenient enough, but if having to wait for the transfer to fill up before leaving for the terminal and you're the kind of person who wants to get on the ship as soon as possible after you land in NY, that might be more of a hassle than it's worth.

• Like 2

I just sailed solo out of Manhattan last month.  I took a car service (not a taxi) but a car...…..it was an SUV...…..excellent driver. He picked me up at my hotel and took me to the ship.  Company is called Paris Transportation.  Yes, it was more money but it was worth it to me.

• Like 1

Thanks for all replies.

I only posted it here and not the Departures board because the “solo” aspect is the biggest factor. I have my Port of Miami routine down and only have to lift my “big” suitcase a few times at the airport, but on more complex trips I have the husband around to help keep me from killing myself on escalators and such. 🙂 If it weren’t for the big one, I’d be more likely to wander around and maybe try to figure out the subways or w/e. 

(I pack as light as I can—don’t like rewearing clothes once they have absorbed restaurant smells, and also don’t like hand washing them on vacation.)

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I just sailed solo out of Manhattan last month.  I took a car service (not a taxi) but a car...…..it was an SUV...…..excellent driver. He picked me up at my hotel and took me to the ship.  Company is called Paris Transportation.  Yes, it was more money but it was worth it to me.

Do you have a hotel recommendation?

I’m only about a 90 minute nonstop flight from JFK and am considering flying in the day of, on an early flight. But might consider staying one night before and walking around a bit. I’ve only been to NYC once, mostly to see Hamilton, and I can barely remember the hotel, except that it was a few blocks from the theater. I’m sure there’s something closer to the port. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, perditax said:

Do you have a hotel recommendation?

I’m only about a 90 minute nonstop flight from JFK and am considering flying in the day of, on an early flight. But might consider staying one night before and walking around a bit. I’ve only been to NYC once, mostly to see Hamilton, and I can barely remember the hotel, except that it was a few blocks from the theater. I’m sure there’s something closer to the port. 

Good morning, I stayed a "The Beekman" which is in lower Manhattan. I was able to walk to the 9/11 Museum and yes, I would say go see it.  And yes, I would highly recommend the hotel. It is beautiful

Inside.  It is not inexpensive but it was so worth it (to me). I splurged  and had the car service pick

me up a the airport and take me to the ship the next day. I booked both through the Hotel's Concierge.

Hope you have a great time:classic_smile:

• Like 2

If it's something that is on your list of possible "bucket list items", the 9/11 Museum is worth going to.  I had about 2 1/2 hours to spend there, maybe 3, and wish I had more (easy for me to get there if I decide to, I'm a 4 hours or so from there).  I just wish I could have walked around the memorial more (it was a WET day).  Between that, Battery Park and Times Square (if you haven't been to NYC before) you could certainly fill a day if you come in a day early.

• Like 1

If you are flying in the same day, the cruise line transfer would be the least hassle. In the baggage claim area you should see the cruise line rep with a sign. After checking in with that person, it should be a breeze getting to the port.

• Like 1

I did a Princess cruise (Canada/NE) that left from NYC and I took the cruise line transfer.  It worked out fine. The main reason I took it was that I flew in the same day as the cruise and I felt more at ease doing that.  Also, the price was right; I checked Uber and there wasn't much of a difference.

• Like 2

Hi Perditax, 

Pier 88 Manhattan Cruise Terminal is very easy to navigate, a cab drops me off five feet from where a luggage porter places luggage onto a stack of other suitcases. No steps of escalators involved. I’ve done the NYC to Bermuda quite a few times and loved it! I hope you have a fantastic time. Also, Norwegian Cruiseline offers a final day NYC excursion where they put you and your luggage on a tour bus and you see some of the highlights of NYC prior to getting dropped off at JFK or LaGuardia airport. I think its $99.00 and a shore excursion credit should be applicable (they honored my $50.00 per port excursion credit in Barcelonia in February and even allowed me to jump off early at one of the tourist sites with my small suitcase since my flight was not until the following day). 

• Like 1

I cruise out of NYC most often. Please consider going to NYC the day before. Delays are frequent at all NY airports. My 50 minute flight from Boston last month was delayed two hours. You just don't know what will cause chaos...wind, rain, bird strike, etc.   i recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Times Square. A quick cab ride to the pier, I never touched my luggage, the cab driver handed it right to the porter. I've also stayed at Ink48, right near the pier, Hotel Shocard and next year Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Central just for variety. I used Carmel car service from LGA. Flying in to JFK is a bit more expensive for a cab/ car into the city but worth it because La Guardia is in the middle of a huge renovation. You will need to drag luggage to transportation.

• Like 1