Cruise pricing changed today on somthat o.

DaveOKC

Yesterday was the final day to book under the current offer (cannot remember the name) which included free hotel service charge.  So, this morning I rechecked my 2 upcoming reservations and noticed something interesting - both changed price, but one went up by $50 while the other declined by $50 (pp per week).  Since the promotion I booked under is worth about $100 pp/week, I am not rebooking, but I found it interesting  that one went up and the other down, plus the difference was about half of the promotion "value".

For what its worth.........

• Like 1

That's the HAL way of doing business. It seems they always raise prices during most major booking promotions.

Last Fall when we booked our Alaska SS cruise for this July with the Explore 4 Promo the price dropped by $300pp for the SS the week after the X4 promo ended. We waited until last March when the same SS cabin dropped another $450pp so we rebooked saved over $1500 total on our original booking and gave up the X4 SBP and 2 PG dinners, we got to keep our original $200 OBC.

Edited by terrydtx

11 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That's the HAL way of doing business. It seems they always raise prices during most major booking promotions.

Last Fall when we booked our Alaska SS cruise for this July with the Explore 4 Promo the price dropped by $300pp for the SS the week after the X4 promo ended. We waited until last March when the same SS cabin dropped another $450pp so we rebooked saved over $1500 total on our original booking and gave up the X4 SBP and 2 PG dinners, we got to keep our original $200 OBC.

seems like the last few years, the X4 deal has come with a pretty hefty price increase.  The first year or two it was commonly the same price as a booking without the perks, now the math commonly doesn't pencil out.  If you have a good TA, you can usually get quotes for both the X4 promo and without the promo.  Some online TA's will show both also.

28 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

seems like the last few years, the X4 deal has come with a pretty hefty price increase.  The first year or two it was commonly the same price as a booking without the perks, now the math commonly doesn't pencil out.  If you have a good TA, you can usually get quotes for both the X4 promo and without the promo.  Some online TA's will show both also.

When we first booked the X4 price and the Restricted fare (Non X4) was only a difference of $200pp and it as worth the extra cost. When we rebooked in March and saved almost $800pp  our TA booked the  restricted (non-promo) fare. At that time they still had the free gratuities promo and it was $300pp more for saving $105pp in gratuities which was such a ridiculous promo.

Edited by terrydtx

23 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I remember when the X4 promo did not run the price up. Now I don't even bother to check out promos. I book as a solo and it's bad enough to pay the cruise fare for two people, but I am not paying a double price hike when I get the promo for only 1 person. Maybe if they'd give me 30 drinks per day... 🍸 🍷 🍾

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I just checked my N. Amsterdam alaska cruise for september.  Every room class, every date in September, is showing as "Sold Out".

I think the website might be having issues as there were a number of cabins on the Veendam in July that we're still available and all categories are all now showing sold out. Seems unlikely that all those cabins would be booked over the course of a few hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I just checked my N. Amsterdam alaska cruise for september.  Every room class, every date in September, is showing as "Sold Out".

This JUST happened on my Sept Alaska cruise as well.  Must be doing some repricing I bet.

I’ve noticed after a promo ends, there can be several days’ gap before the next one/ or better pricing.  Like you said, sometimes the price goes down, sometimes up.  Last year, I had my eye on a sailing.  They had availability in the cabin I wanted but I was waiting on air and for a credit card promo to kick in, so I waited to put it on hold.  When I called the next morning, the sailing was sold out.  I thought surely it would return as available  but it never did.  One never really knows.

Edited by syesmar

2 hours ago, jkrislc said:

I think the website might be having issues.....

I find that hard to believe :classic_tongue: 😂🤣 

But in all seriousness, it does seem after a promo ends prices and the online ressie system go wacky. 

Edited by fatcat04

10 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I find that hard to believe :classic_tongue: 😂🤣 

But in all seriousness, it does seem after a promo ends prices and the online ressie system go wacky. 

If you find that hard to believe, I have a bridge that I'm selling...

It takes HAL a while to re-structure the pricing. I've noticed that during the change, the price you see on the first page of the process may be less than the price you see on the next page. Frustrating, to say the least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you find that hard to believe, I have a bridge that I'm selling...

It takes HAL a while to re-structure the pricing. I've noticed that during the change, the price you see on the first page of the process may be less than the price you see on the next page. Frustrating, to say the least. 

Yes, the whole HAL website is an exercise in frustration. Rat in a maze but with no cheese at the end comes to mind. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jkrislc said:

I think the website might be having issues as there were a number of cabins on the Veendam in July that we're still available and all categories are all now showing sold out. Seems unlikely that all those cabins would be booked over the course of a few hours. 

Ya think?   I just tried to check mine and the website says there is no such cruise.   It shows up under My Account, but not when you do a search.  

I just tried checking our cruise price by doing a dummy booking, but as usual, whenever I log in, when I get to choose your own stateroom, I end up with the Circle Of Death.  I finally got tired of it (using several different browsers), I emailed in a complaint - not that it will do anything except give me the satisfaction of having complained.   Grr.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jkrislc said:

HAL could  have offered them to a TA that sells group bookings.

Edited by oaktreerb

36 minutes ago, Ardmeyer said:

Same thing happened to two sailings on the Maasdam.  Yesterday showed availability of all categories Today Sold Out for both sailings.  At least curious.

I was on the line with HAL yesterday about the possibility of an upsell to a neptune suite for the May sailing .  They refused to offer anything less than paying full price.  This sailing was not sold out yesterday and neither was the June date.  Maybe HAL is assigning guarantees or maybe a TA took over all remaining staterooms.  

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I just tried checking our cruise price by doing a dummy booking, but as usual, whenever I log in, when I get to choose your own stateroom, I end up with the Circle Of Death

I have that same problem and it’s driving me crazy!

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There are too many instances of "sold out" on multiple cruises.  

Agreed.  There is definitely a problem.

Sometimes they pull an entire cruise out of inventory while they're changing prices. When one person said a cruise went from available to full, I thought it could be guarantees, but if so many cruises are disappearing or suddenly full, it's either a BIG goof or they're taking some down to tweak prices.