Anthem of the Seas - Status Update

Silly question considering how many cruises I’ve been on.   We can carry on our luggage yes? Not a small airline carry on bag but a normal sized luggage 

might as well unpack right away since we arrive so late 

2 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Silly question considering how many cruises I’ve been on.   We can carry on our luggage yes? Not a small airline carry on bag but a normal sized luggage 

You can only carry on what will fit through the scanners as you go through security, so basically an airline sized carryon.  Not full sized luggage.  

3 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Carry on must fit through scanner, like at airport.  Your call as to whether your piece will fit.

Thanks all. I figured as much but thought I would check. It’s only 25% of base cruise fare which works out to $600 which frankly still doesn’t make a dent so I think we’re going to visit the zoo here in NJ and try to get home Sunday. Good luck to everyone who still sails. Such a bummer. This sailing was just too expensive for me to still go. I can’t stomach paying over $2k for a 3 day cruise (not including airfare). Fingers crossed the rain holds off!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Carry on must fit through scanner, like at airport.  Your call as to whether your piece will fit.

I searched after i asked.  I think normal luggage will fit.  I’ll measure again though 

9743CAF0-D7A1-461C-AF03-6B1A66B7AFF0.png

7 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I would rethink packing since you are down 2 of the 3 days, even if you have to take two  carry-on bags. Their is no reason that the room wouldn't be ready upon arrival with such a delayed boarding time

3 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I searched after i asked.  I think normal luggage will fit.  I’ll measure again though 

9743CAF0-D7A1-461C-AF03-6B1A66B7AFF0.png

23x16 is airline carryon size.  Our regular luggage is 28" or 30" which I consider standard sized.  It clearly says 23x16" is the maximum.

Edited by BND

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would rethink packing since you are down 2 of the 3 days, even if you have to take two  carry-on bags. Their is no reason that the room wouldn't be ready upon arrival with such a delayed boarding time

There are 4 of us though and I have shoes 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BND said:

23x16 is airline carryon size.  Our regular luggage is 28" or 30" which I consider standard sized.  It clearly says 23x16" is the maximum.

I honestly thought so but I’m trying to solve an argument with the hubs 

16 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

We have put a 25 inch suitcase through the scanner at multiple Port Canaveral terminals with no issues.  They say only airline carry on size, but they can fit larger bags.  I have not tried it at Cape Liberty though, so YMMV.

Anthem May 18 cruise is  leaving at 11 PM on Sunday night.  Boarding after 7 PM Sunday.   A long letter has come from RCCL.

Edited by cormcruise
thought I should put the ship name since it seemed to post in a different thread than what I wrote it in..

See the hubs says it fits because it’s only 14 deep and 16 wide.  The length shouldn’t matter (which is 25-26)

so confused. A third dimension on the port website would have been helpful

6 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Here's my opinion from the cheap seats......you couldn't pay me to go the port on Sunday with two cruise ships trying to play the two step.  I actually feel MORE bad from the Celebrity ship because we all know that there is going to be chaos of Royal and Celebrity cruisers overlapping and clogging up the roads, the lots, and the buildings all trying to get to where they want to go. 

Plus the frazzled terminal workers.  Plus the angry passengers. Plus the mixed up cab, limo and uber drivers. Plus the chance for lost or misdirected luggage.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

See the hubs says it fits because it’s only 14 deep and 16 wide.  The length shouldn’t matter (which is 25-26)

I agree with the hubs.  😄 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Length shouldn't but the longer bags are usually deeper and wider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Here's my opinion from the cheap seats......you couldn't pay me to go the port on Sunday with two cruise ships trying to play the two step.  I actually feel MORE bad from the Celebrity ship because we all know that there is going to be chaos of Royal and Celebrity cruisers overlapping and clogging up the roads, the lots, and the buildings all trying to get to where they want to go.

If you are on this ship plan to arrive to the port LATE 😉

You couldn't pay me to take this cruise now. I would cancel at the first opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You couldn't pay me to take this cruise now. I would cancel at the first opportunity.

Hey now! 🤪

Some of us are trying to make the best of it.  Not everyone can change vacation time or are already in NYC so they might as well!      

Us personally.  We can’t find a cruise to switch to that fits everyone’s schedule that also isn’t insanely more expensive.  We are celebrating the hubs 40th and my in laws are joining us.  Our kids have packed schedules, the in-laws have a different vacay planned in August...  the scheduling was tight when we chose this. Add to that   I was already paying more than I prefer for a 5 night cruise and I don’t want to pay more to go the one week in August that maybe works for us 🤪    

We’ll need our patience Sunday for sure.   Some of us have more than others so that’ll be dicey!  However we plan to eat drink and be merry the other 3 days.  Just gotta get through Sunday night! 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Hey now! 🤪

Some of us are trying to make the best of it.  Not everyone can change vacation time or are already in NYC so they might as well!      

Us personally.  We can’t find a cruise to switch to that fits everyone’s schedule that also isn’t insanely more expensive.  We are celebrating the hubs 40th and my in laws are joining us.  Our kids have packed schedules, the in-laws have a different vacay planned in August...  the scheduling was tight when we chose this. Add to that   I was already paying more than I prefer for a 5 night cruise and I don’t want to pay more to go the one week in August that maybe works for us 🤪    

We’ll need our patience Sunday for sure.   Some of us have more than others so that’ll be dicey!  However we plan to eat drink and be merry the other 3 days.  Just gotta get through Sunday night! 

In your situation I would certainly go and that would be the only reason that I would be on a 5 day cruise to begin with.  The only way I would consider a short cruise is if it was a last minute fire sale price which has never happened in the Northeast.   

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

@CC Help Jenn -- I love your attitude and wish you the best time on this cruise!

(Not sure why others need to weigh in with their opinions regarding your choices when you haven't even asked.)

So sorry for those with the medical issues, and sorry for all others impacted, but you go and enjoy this trip! Family/vacation time is precious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also @CC Help Jenn -- please come back on and let us know if you (or hubby) tried to take the luggage through as carry on. Seems to me the worst that would happen if they didn't allow it is that you'd have to then check it, right? My guess is that they'd probably be more lenient for you anyway because of the circumstances, but curious whether that size will work regardless.

3 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

He is probably right. We saw people carrying on large suitcases (of the size that you would have to check on an airplane) when we embarked on Anthem two weeks ago. We were commenting about it because we saw the 23 x 16 dimension on the website and assumed it meant that the carry ons needed to be airline carry-on size. It didn’t even occur to us that the length didn’t matter because there is no overhead bin to worry about!

7 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

The opening to the tunnel on the most common X-ray machine is 18x24 - if your bag fits in that, you are fine. The third dimension doesn’t matter. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BND said:

You can only carry on what will fit through the scanners as you go through security, so basically an airline sized carryon.  Not full sized luggage.  

We always carry our big 31" luggage on - no problems with the scanners! 👍

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Thanks 1