Anthem of the Seas - Status Update

8 hours ago, zooma said:

@CC Help Jenn -- I love your attitude and wish you the best time on this cruise!

(Not sure why others need to weigh in with their opinions regarding your choices when you haven't even asked.)

So sorry for those with the medical issues, and sorry for all others impacted, but you go and enjoy this trip! Family/vacation time is precious.

Thank you. This attitude takes work.  It’s hard to maintain logic and positive outlook when a long planned celebration gets turned upside down.  

8 hours ago, zooma said:

Also @CC Help Jenn -- please come back on and let us know if you (or hubby) tried to take the luggage through as carry on. Seems to me the worst that would happen if they didn't allow it is that you'd have to then check it, right? My guess is that they'd probably be more lenient for you anyway because of the circumstances, but curious whether that size will work regardless.

I’ll definitely post the outcome!

Ugh. So now I really don’t know what to do.  There’s a tropical disturbance forming over Bermuda so while we are going/there/and coming back, it looks like it could be wet and a mess. I’ve seen the videos of other ships going through that. While this isn’t planned to be a NorEaster, it would be a mess. 

56F399FD-496A-4743-833B-8073FB12E8BB.jpeg

Edited by unc1acc

5 minutes ago, unc1acc said:

Ugh. So now I really don’t know what to do.  There’s a tropical disturbance forming over Bermuda so while we are going/there/and coming back, it looks like it could be wet and a mess. I’ve seen the videos of other ships going through that. While this isn’t planned to be a NorEaster, it would be a mess. 

56F399FD-496A-4743-833B-8073FB12E8BB.jpeg

Right.  Talk about raining on our parade 

Currently on Anthem. We have been told ship will arrive in Bayonne around midnight Saturday. Passengers have to be off between 6-9 am Sunday. There is a Celebrity ship due in in the morning as well so we have to be off asap. Have heard 2 thoughts on this: 1. We get off and the next sailing passengers get on board quickly and in time for Anthem to be out of port to allow scheduled Celebrity to come in ( which likely will not happen- logistically very difficult) and,  2. We get off between 6-9am, ship is restocked for next cruise once we dock at midnight then Anthem moves out, allow Celebrity to board then Anthem passengers will be allowed to embark around 7-7:30pm. Not sure exactly what will happen  but these are the thoughts going around.

24 minutes ago, SuzanneM69 said:

Currently on Anthem. We have been told ship will arrive in Bayonne around midnight Saturday. Passengers have to be off between 6-9 am Sunday. There is a Celebrity ship due in in the morning as well so we have to be off asap. Have heard 2 thoughts on this: 1. We get off and the next sailing passengers get on board quickly and in time for Anthem to be out of port to allow scheduled Celebrity to come in ( which likely will not happen- logistically very difficult) and,  2. We get off between 6-9am, ship is restocked for next cruise once we dock at midnight then Anthem moves out, allow Celebrity to board then Anthem passengers will be allowed to embark around 7-7:30pm. Not sure exactly what will happen  but these are the thoughts going around.

The latter is what’s happening. We’ve been told to arrive to port Sunday evening no earlier than 7pm. Have a safe trip back. 

13 hours ago, seadays4me said:

Look at your Xpress Pass.  What is your arrival appointment Time?  Thats the time they mean.  I think 12:00 - 12:30 PM is the first appointment time.

Mine says 11:30-12. I have never paid attention to that before.  Our limo will be getting us to the port by 11. 

Do you think the porters will be there curbside as the usually are?

1 hour ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Right.  Talk about raining on our parade 

We saw the weather forecast / tropical disturbance yesterday. After much consideration, we've decided to sail and have the best time we can. Because any day on vacation - even with crappy weather - is better than any day at work. And I won't have to cook for 4 days! We're hoping that everyone who has decided to proceed with the trip gets on board with a positive attitude. Sometimes craziness like this lets people bond easier and have more fun!

• Like 3

One of the things that I know. The cruise will be returning until May 19th. The itinerary will be short because they cannot change it. You are going to departure from cape liberty at 11 pm and the check in will start 7 pm since a celebrity cruise is going to be there as well. You should call to royal Caribbean customer service I think they will give you compensations if you have a flight or compensations for the people who is going to this because you will miss 2 days since they have this medical emergency. 

51 minutes ago, HardyVA said:

Mine says 11:30-12. I have never paid attention to that before.  Our limo will be getting us to the port by 11. 

Do you think the porters will be there curbside as the usually are?

I would seriously consider re-thinking that plan.  Just friendly advice.

dp

6 minutes ago, dpostman said:

dp

What would you suggest?  Do you think the porters won't be there? I'm more concerned about that than hanging around waiting to check in.

Edited by HardyVA
Add something

So we got checked into our hotel at Staten Island last night, we decided to just stay with it and cruise anyway (definitely agree with whomever said earlier that 4 days cruising is always better than 4 days at work!). All hotels in the area were booked solid for tonight, but at 9:00 this morning we got a call from the front desk saying that due to a cancellation, we would be able to stay another night at the rate we booked the first night for - BIG relief! So we are just gonna hang out in New York for an extra day and hopefully get to watch Anthem sail in and dock tonight!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, HardyVA said:

What would you suggest?  Do you think the porters won't be there? I'm more concerned about that than hanging around waiting to check in.

I think you may run the risk of the ship not being there, we are supposed to sail at 11:00 😉

From what I read, the porters that will be there at that time  (11am) will be for Celebrity Summit.  I figure you will be required to wait outside with your luggage until 5 or 6pm, maybe later.  Perhaps they have a contingency plan for earlycommers but it will not likely be any fun in an overcrowded terminal.

dp

3 minutes ago, dpostman said:

From what I read, the porters that will be there at that time  (11am) will be for Celebrity Summit.  I figure you will be required to wait outside with your luggage until 5 or 6pm, maybe later.  Perhaps they have a contingency plan for earlycommers but it will not likely be any fun in an overcrowded terminal.

dp

I  sailing on Summit

1 hour ago, dpostman said:

dp

They will start at 7 pm they strongly recommend not be there before this hour and also they will try to departure at 11 pm. Since they have itineraries created until 2021 is not easier for Royal Caribbean change everything for this medical situation is easier for them give compensations to everyone. You should call them. 

10 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

I don‘t understand why they are not docking one ship in Manhattan and shuttle people back and force. 

Logistics of stocking the ship (supplies in the warehouse at CL already will need to be loaded on trucks and trucked into Manhattan).  Royal has no "stake" in the Manhattan terminal, getting computers set up there for a Royal ship (RCI or Celebrity) would be a nightmare.  Imagine being on the cruise that gets pushed to the Manhattan terminal - now you either need to park at CL and ride a bus over to Manhattan or you disembark in Manhattan (on the arriving cruise) and then have to get shuttled to CL to get your vehicle.  There's also the small matter of the fact that the Manhattan terminal is being used by NCL today and tomorrow!

Is Anthem pushing off after disembarking passengers or is there enough space to have both ships at the pier at the same time?  I know both won't have access to the gangways so Anthem WOULD need to move for that.

19 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

I don‘t understand why they are not docking one ship in Manhattan and shuttle people back and force. 

Might start with having 5,000 people and their luggage to move. That'd be at least 100 round-trips, probably more because of excessive luggage. Anthem uses tablets for everything so no monstrous infrastructure need; just WiFi and printers. But there's still the matter of making a deal to even use the space.

1 hour ago, JasonMason said:

So we got checked into our hotel at Staten Island last night, we decided to just stay with it and cruise anyway (definitely agree with whomever said earlier that 4 days cruising is always better than 4 days at work!). All hotels in the area were booked solid for tonight, but at 9:00 this morning we got a call from the front desk saying that due to a cancellation, we would be able to stay another night at the rate we booked the first night for - BIG relief! So we are just gonna hang out in New York for an extra day and hopefully get to watch Anthem sail in and dock tonight!

Glad you got a hotel room for tonight, that is a big relief. We have left the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth and arrived at the Westin in Jersey City Newport. Nice hotel, nice area. But even with my Marriott member discount, it is $349 for tonight.