Anthem of the Seas - Status Update

21 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

I don‘t understand why they are not docking one ship in Manhattan and shuttle people back and force. 

Before new Bayonne terminal it was cumbersome to just shuttle passengers between ship and terminal.  Anthem wouldn't fit in NYC, too long.  Shuttling two thousand X passengers and their luggage each way between NY to NJ would be a nightmare.  

4 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Might start with having 5,000 people and their luggage to move.

10,000.  5,000 getting off the arriving ship, 5,000 getting on to go back out.  I also noted in my post that the Manhattan terminal is already booked for NCL ships on 5/18 (Dawn) and 5/19 (Escape).

1 minute ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Anthem wouldn't fit in NYC, too long.

Is it?  I think NCL's Bliss ports there from time to time and is only 40 feet shorter, is it that tight for that ship?

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

I don‘t understand why they are not docking one ship in Manhattan and shuttle people back and force. 

Manhattan isn't really feasible as others have said.  But does anyone know if they can still dock a second ship further west in Cape Liberty (see the photo on their website).  Shuttling that far would be similar to the old days at Cape Liberty.

https://www.panynj.gov/port/cruise-terminals.html

2 hours ago, Keasel said:

Manhattan isn't really feasible as others have said.  But does anyone know if they can still dock a second ship further west in Cape Liberty (see the photo on their website).  Shuttling that far would be similar to the old days at Cape Liberty.

https://www.panynj.gov/port/cruise-terminals.html

There's no issue with the depth of the area. So they might be able to dock both ships and at least be able to handle cargo until it's time to board passengers. It's probably likely someone will report what happens. 🙂

6 minutes ago, dswallow said:

There's no issue with the depth of the area. So they might be able to dock both ships and at least be able to handle cargo until it's time to board passengers. It's probably likely someone will report what happens. 🙂

Hasn't someone already said what they're going to do?  Debark Anthem passengers, have Anthem pull out and then bring in Summit to debark and board new passengers and then bring Anthem back to load.  They can't handle cargo for both ships without a lot of logisitical changes and personnel.  They can't just say hey we're going to do xyz because that's what we want.  Way too many people, equipment, space, etc impacted.  If there are even enough of any of those to do it anyway.  I think there's a lot of speculation that just isn't going to happen.  Anthem isn't sailing until around 11 pm which means they will be loading people and cargo like they normally would, only delayed.

51 minutes ago, BND said:

have Anthem pull out

I don't think it's quite that simple.  They can't just pull out into the channel and drop anchor, NY harbor is a busy place.  Anthem probably needs to get out past the bridge, or even farther before calling full stop.  Just backing to that inner berth would make more sense, if it's available.

I do agree on the rest - trying to provision both ships at the same time would involve calling in additional Longshoremen, if they could find some.  I know bunkering (fueling) takes a while, they might need a second bunker barge anyway (I don't know how long they take to reload to fuel the next ship) so they might be able to handle fueling both ships at once.

38 minutes ago, hallux said:

I don't think it's quite that simple.  They can't just pull out into the channel and drop anchor, NY harbor is a busy place.  Anthem probably needs to get out past the bridge, or even farther before calling full stop.  Just backing to that inner berth would make more sense, if it's available.

I do agree on the rest - trying to provision both ships at the same time would involve calling in additional Longshoremen, if they could find some.  I know bunkering (fueling) takes a while, they might need a second bunker barge anyway (I don't know how long they take to reload to fuel the next ship) so they might be able to handle fueling both ships at once.

The inner berth adjoins the terminal.  It has the automated gangways.  The outer berth at the end of the pier is where they used to dock prior to renovations.  It required shuttle buses to transport passengers to the terminal.  Not sure if there's room for both ships.

If Anthem is arriving at midnight she has all night to re-fuel, re-supply and unload luggage before passengers disembark at 6am.  With the blessing of the port authority she can then move into the harbor to make room for Summit.  Plenty of room for her there and little harbor activity on a Sunday.  Commuted on the S.I. ferry for many years past anchored ships.

9 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

The inner berth adjoins the terminal.  It has the automated gangways.  The outer berth at the end of the pier is where they used to dock prior to renovations.  It required shuttle buses to transport passengers to the terminal.  Not sure if there's room for both ships.

If Anthem is arriving at midnight she has all night to re-fuel, re-supply and unload luggage before passengers disembark at 6am.  With the blessing of the port authority she can then move into the harbor to make room for Summit.  Plenty of room for her there and little harbor activity on a Sunday.  Commuted on the S.I. ferry for many years past anchored ships.

Unfortunately, Customs & Shoreside Support doesn’t arrive until 0600.  Since Cape Liberty 

commenced operations in the Spring of 2004, we have returned to the port early on many occasions due to Medical/Weather events. 

The initial $60 Investment for the new facility was only designed to accommodate  1 vessel at a time. Since Cape Liberty commenced operations in the Spring of 2004, this will be the first 

to embark/Disembark, 2 vessels with an 18 Hour period. 

85AC7510-76E0-4AC6-B3EB-352F6A52A5B6.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

You are speculating.  We've been out of CL 7 times including 4 times before the new terminal was built.  I'm very aware of how it is set up.  It takes more than the port authority approval to move the ship in and do what you are guessing at.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, Floridadude said:

The ships position @ 11:44 am is due east of West Palm beach.

Traveling @ 22.7 kn.

Its unfortunate for those who need to be off, and those impacted in the delay of their upcoming cruise.

I’m just happy that being retired, any delays are ok.

Also unfortunate for those with a medical emergency! Somewhere, that seems to have gotten lost in this string of posts!! I would be very disappointed, I would expect RC to compensate me, but I would hope I'd remember someone and their family are obviously in enough distress their ship had to go to Nassau!! Just saying...

• Like 2

Sailing on the anthem tomorrow. Quite upset about losing 2 full days but peoples lives are more important. I live on Long Island. We are driving into Cape Liberty. Since I'm driving, I plan to leave here about 1 pm as who the heck knows what the traffic will be on a Sunday afternoon. Good or bad, I'm a nervous traveler and would rather be there early than rushing and not making it. I plan to get to Bayonne around 3, 3:30 and we will stop and get a late lunch(I saw a couple of restaurants nearby on google maps.) 

I read all these posts and saw the summit leaves at 5 pm so we won't even attempt to show up at the terminal until at least 4:30,5. I did call RC yesterday and they said we can show up early at that time but they will not start boarding for us until 7 pm. Again, I'm anxious when I travel because the book of delayed/canceled vacations for me is getting longer. (How I became jinxed? no clue)  So I'd rather show up a little earlier even if it means to sit and wait. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 70SS350 said:

Anthem is currently of the Jersey Shore just north of Asbury Park.

Less than 45 Mins to the Ambrose Channel/Pilot pickup point

92012F2F-AA41-4EDC-980C-8E8069BC46E7.jpeg

• Like 1

I hope that the passengers who suffered medical emergencies are recovering.  I truly understand how difficult the situation is.  My father once suffered a medical emergency on a ship and went directly from the ship to ICU.  We were scheduled to sail on the Anthem today and after flying to Newark last night, circling the airport for over an hour due to airport issues.  Then, not being able to stay in the hotel we had booked for last night again tonight due to it being full for the BTS concert.  We transferred to a room in Jersey City.  Due to a chemical explosion a twenty minute ride took over an hour.  Then, we saw the weather warnings and felt that sailing through a tropical depression would not be fun for us.  We tried to turn lemons into lemonade and there were just too many lemons.  As a result, we finally decided to cancel.  Unfortunately, I will not have any time off from work until Thanksgiving.   For those of you sailing tomorrow night, I give you a lot of credit!  Enjoy your vacation!

I think we're going to wing it. We'll get there around 5 as Summit leaves to make sure we get parking and from  there what ever happens, happens.  If we can get on around 7 pm at least we'll salvage a Sunday night.  It's our 25th anniversary do we've basically pivoted this cruise to an elaborate 3 day, 1 night anniversary dinner.....

Edited by rundogrun
  • Like 1