Advance planning

denmarks

It's always at the back of my mind once we've booked, so I'll start buying essentials as the time goes on, bit by bit. Like a lot of people, I have a cruise drawer, so I know what needs replenishing; I'll also be aware of the dress regulations so I'll be plotting clothes and checking OH's bow ties, and putting clean clothes away so that they aren't used before hand.

Interesting question.  I cannot think of anything that I have that is cruise-specific.  I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't buy anything special for a cruise.  If suiting up is required I guess I do make sure the dark suit doesn't need cleaning/pressing.   And I do usually get a hair cut a few days before we leave but that is about it.   

• Like 1

If you are referring to "stuff" to take with us on the cruise, that would be a couple of new books and maybe a memory card.  I get those a month or so in advance.  All the OTC meds and things like that get replenished as needed, before I pack away the suitcases from our previous cruise.  Clothes?  I can probably travel for 10 years with the contents of my "cruise closet", providing I don't gain weight 😉

If you are referring to buying tours, etc, in advance, we start considering them as soon as the cruise is booked and make our choices usually a few months before we sail.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

If you are referring to "stuff" to take with us on the cruise, that would be a couple of new books and maybe a memory card.  I get those a month or so in advance.  All the OTC meds and things like that get replenished as needed, before I pack away the suitcases from our previous cruise.  Clothes?  I can probably travel for 10 years with the contents of my "cruise closet", providing I don't gain weight 😉

If you are referring to buying tours, etc, in advance, we start considering them as soon as the cruise is booked and make our choices usually a few months before we sail.

Aw yes.  I need to revise my previous response.  I do load up the Kindle prior to a cruise (and any other vacation).  

• Like 1

About 12 months in advance, but only in as much as looking at seasonal sales for clothes for the kids. After new year and prom season are great time to find formal wear on sale if you need/want it.

Everything else we get a couple of weeks before, we (adults) have lots of cruise clothes and it's generally buying toiletries and kids shoes.

We take normal clothes for the days that we would typically wear at home, adding in items depending on destination.

Most of the items, apart from more formal evening wear is the same as we would buy and pack for a land holiday.

We pack walking shoes, swim wear and rain coats 😄. And hand sanitizer but I carry that in my bag every day.

We don't really have anything we purchase specifically for a cruise, but once the cruise is booked, (or any vacation for that matter), we look to see what needs to be replaced from the last one and start buying those things little by little.

This is a little different from what we use to do. We use to take inventory about a month pre-cruse/vacation and do our shopping over that last month. Now we are usually done before we reach that last month.

I start throwing my cruise stuff in a pile or replenishing needed items about a month before the cruise.  I found some individually wrapped hand sanitizer wipes on Amazon.  I always bring a small back-lit clock, portable hamper, towel clips, luggage tag holders, lanyards, etc that I use only on my cruises.   So I make sure I have everything specific for my cruise beginning the month before my cruise, at the latest.

I don't have "special" cruise things, either.  I bring what I have for the weather that is predicted.    Sundry items, like toiletries....same there!  If I need more, I'll get it, otherwise, what I have is what I bring!

We sail 9 weeks tomorrow.  DW already has a "forbidden list" of clothes i may not wear in the next 63 days.

I too have topped up my Kindle ( been a rash of free books on Facebook, so l have added them - they may be rubbish, but, hey, they were free!

Theres a big shopping bag in the spare bedroom with new toiletries " for the cruise".....

You could say we always start early..........

I budget out the big items. For example, I am going to need new pants, waterproof shoes and Euros. So, I have them marked out for my purchase schedule and get one thing done a month. Will still need travel toiletries, haircut and pedi just before the trip! 

I've learned to avoid buying some things too early.  I bought snacks for the 3-leg flight to San Juan about 6 weeks before the cruise. During the 6 weeks before the cruise, I got a sweet tooth on a couple of occasions.  Had to go back to Walmart and buy more snacks.  😂

• Haha 1

@denmarks

Funny you should ask! I just ordered 50SPF hats for both DH and myself, and two sun-protective shirts for myself, for a So.Pacific cruise next February... that will also be put away for a So.Caribbean back-to-back in January 2021! dr'spin regularly wears AirStrip type shirts that are sun-protective, but I'm lacking in them. I'm also researching water-shoes for the same trips.

Even though we live in sunny southern California, we do not spent much time in the sun, or at the beach! (Usually only when we have guests, haha.)