CHICAGOPAUL LIVE!!!! Our First ALASKA CRUISE on the ECLIPSE!!! May 19th Sailing

chicagopaul

29 minutes ago, DavietheScot said:

Hi Paul, we were on the Eclipse doing the transatlantic in November and Ade and Imade were in the Martini Bar on that crossing along with Donny and Putu, they were all great Martini barmen who made our cruise very enjoyable, we are big fans of that bar but like you we did notice that it could be on some nights very quiet which was a first for us, however say hallo to them all from us Davie and Christine from Scotland. 

Hi Davie,

would that hat have been Putu with bald head and from Bali? We’re on eclipse 11th August and love Putu. I drink like a fish but my wife is teetotal. Every day he would make her a different “special” non-alcoholic cocktail. And it made her feel special!! He’d gauge her arrival from me turning up (early!) and present her each night!! Top bloke!!

Phil

27 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

Hi Davie,

would that hat have been Putu with bald head and from Bali? We’re on eclipse 11th August and love Putu. I drink like a fish but my wife is teetotal. Every day he would make her a different “special” non-alcoholic cocktail. And it made her feel special!! He’d gauge her arrival from me turning up (early!) and present her each night!! Top bloke!!

Phil

My understanding is Putu the bald guy left Celebrity, however the Putu that was on the trans atlantic is pictured below.

Oops with have to post from my phone pics on not on my laptop.

6570E1A5-E9AB-4E9B-A953-77E0B2C54058.jpeg

Edited by h20cruzer

Paul you will find a whole different demographic of people on an Alaskan cruise than on a Caribbean or a transatlantic cruise not that it’s bad it’s just different. A lot of people go to bed early because they want to get up and go to all of those expensive shore excursions.

here are 2 pics from last week on the Millie. Bartenders took great care of me!!!

E09882A6-13ED-40AF-A52C-9373777FC41D.jpeg

26182078-B7E7-4A6E-999B-3EE4D3208A41.jpeg

4 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

I believe there is. On the Daily I see a beyond the podium talk about Alaska at 12:30 with Milos Radakovich. I think we will check it out. Thanks for mentioning this. I didn’t even think to look for it! 

Hi Paul. I'm so excited to find another one of your cruise reports.  You have been so helpful in the past. You will love Milos.  He is so entertaining and knowledgeable.  We've cruised to Alaska twice and love it. I'm looking forward to learning all about your adventures. 

• Like 1

I’m really going to enjoy this as we got off the Eclipse as you got on yesterday!  We are currently marking time in our Vancouver hotel, Marriott’s Delta close to the port and a Sky Train station.  Flying home with BA tonight and came out with them to Calgary and then took a 9 day driving tour (arranged ourselves) to enjoy the Rockies and Vancouver before our 10 night cruise which began on 9th May.  We used Alamo and were delighted that the drop-off location for the car was under the Pan Pacific hotel, right at the cruise port.  I added those details for the other Brits who may be interested.

We very much enjoyed the nature guy, Milos - entertaining as well as smart - and you have my favourite CD, Alejandro, whose humour I love.  I even watch his morning ‘infomercials’ on channel 2 he’s that funny.

We did not get to see Hubbard glacier and had to turn back. The good weather had resulted in huge chunks of ice in the water and it was deemed too dangerous.  On the plus side, we had lots of good weather.

Enjoy.  I’ll be following your every word, so thanks for taking the time to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul, following along on another one of your great blogs.  We are this cruise leaving June 16th. We are in a Sky Suite on Deck 12. I know we can dine in Luminae.  My question is can we order off the MDR menu if we find something we like?  I’m glad you enjoyed Miku because we made a reservation based on your report.

• Like 1

Today we walked around the ship early. We didn’t see many people. Usually al Bacio is packed on a cool morning. We walked on the top deck and it was windy and cold. We watched a little of the glass blowing snow but they’d went inside. We were at passport bar promptly at 10am for my morning beverage. We then decided to join the galley tour. Lots of people came to it. They gave us numbers and would do tours in small groups. In the meantime the F & B director and head chef were answering questions while we all sat in the MDR waiting. It was actually very interesting and entertaining. We learned a lot about random things such as how they source food, why they don’t source some things locally, etc. 

the actual galley tour itself was relatively quick but was great to see. We’ve never done this before but glad we finally did. 

5275CED0-B9A7-4946-ACEC-56BB149E081C.thumb.jpeg.8237eaee7a20b803a2e0f6c1dac3385a.jpeg

FA770DDF-4323-4276-B867-F43B796F5223.thumb.jpeg.66ba3dc50fb68f8fe66fbe8326fd409a.jpeg

D4550514-8D1F-4FE3-A56B-98EA0C7667E6.thumb.jpeg.268e01fd4affc082adf2949b913f4817.jpeg

6CC3533E-DB8D-4C13-9F77-6F21A52F8637.thumb.jpeg.6afdaf1c487c60d8767ad0941337a32d.jpeg

4E209338-856D-45E2-860C-EC12DFDFADB2.thumb.jpeg.3e47e73da05b49dd90bce23f07590e57.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

We will be on the Eclipse, boarding on June 2, less than 2 weeks to go. Have been reading your write-ups since yesterday, thanks for all the info. Looking forward to reading more. Appreciate all you put into your info.

Char

Paul, I read somewhere that those in the High end suites, like yourselves, can sometimes get a more extensive gallery tour. May be worth asking about. I love the normal one and always see something different. 

Wendy

16 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’m really going to enjoy this as we got off the Eclipse as you got on yesterday!  We are currently marking time in our Vancouver hotel, Marriott’s Delta close to the port and a Sky Train station.  Flying home with BA tonight and came out with them to Calgary and then took a 9 day driving tour (arranged ourselves) to enjoy the Rockies and Vancouver before our 10 night cruise which began on 9th May.  We used Alamo and were delighted that the drop-off location for the car was under the Pan Pacific hotel, right at the cruise port.  I added those details for the other Brits who may be interested.

We very much enjoyed the nature guy, Milos - entertaining as well as smart - and you have my favourite CD, Alejandro, whose humour I love.  I even watch his morning ‘infomercials’ on channel 2 he’s that funny.

We did not get to see Hubbard glacier and had to turn back. The good weather had resulted in huge chunks of ice in the water and it was deemed too dangerous.  On the plus side, we had lots of good weather.

Enjoy.  I’ll be following your every word, so thanks for taking the time to do it.

mrsgoggins, thanks for your posting. I have 2 questions for you (or whoever else may know). First, are you saying that the ship did not go close to the Hubbard Glacier, or were you booked on the Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Excursion boat and that was cancelled? Second, did you get early check in at the Marriott's Delta? My cruise, June 30-July 7, returns to Vancouver at 7 am and my flight home is 11 pm, so looking for a hotel for 8 am - 8 pm if such a thing exists. 

2 minutes ago, dflawyer said:

July 7, returns to Vancouver at 7 am and my flight home is 11 pm, so looking for a hotel for 8 am - 8 pm if such a thing exists. 

Day hotel bookings certainly used to exist if you booked your air through Celebrity U.K.

You don’t give your home area, but I just wonder if it is U.K. as return flights usually leave in the evening.

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Paul,

i read that there was a float plane accident on Monday evening.outside Ketchikan (I think)

Will it impact any of your tours?

Good question. We heard about this accident and actually knew people who were in port as it happened. It won’t impact us. We have a helicopter tour and that is still a go. 

Good Morning from beautiful Alaska. We’re arriving at Icy Strait Point at 3:30 today. We woke up to such a beautiful view and spent our early hours just sitting on the balcony staring at the gorgeous view. This is only the start of the incredible scenery but I get it. I understand the allure of an Alaskan cruise and why so many of you say it’s your favorite. 

Before I recap all of yesterday here is today’s daily. 

B64D9F7D-0AF3-4AB8-93B6-80C108B87B2D.thumb.jpeg.330d3fccf6485c07230a435fd26044b7.jpeg

09C84A10-F01B-4319-8A78-9E4FAFD507A2.thumb.jpeg.6112288367be78c52ca69f299b58a39f.jpeg

272A57C1-AF52-4FE1-A747-7F893D095E00.thumb.jpeg.5c1bb5052c3da10207b8210222da2ee0.jpeg

298A0997-1DA6-41D5-BFD3-D54B48A1C0CF.thumb.jpeg.cc36200775254f7e1674599ca2346a9a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:13 AM, chicagopaul said:

Good Morning! As I’m sitting in our living room drinking coffee from al Bacio and nursing only a slight hangover, I’ll start with the Daily for today before I dive into drinks and dinner from last night.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

Paul can put back the sheet with the officers, it seems that there are 2 missing pages in the post only icons appear (May 20), thank you

Edited by gerelmx

2 hours ago, dflawyer said:

Second, did you get early check in at the Marriott's Delta? My cruise, June 30-July 7, returns to Vancouver at 7 am and my flight home is 11 pm, so looking for a hotel for 8 am - 8 pm if such a thing exists. 

If you don’t want a hotel for the day there is a facility at Canada Place cruise terminal that will store your luggage and even transfer it for later retrieval at the airport. We used this last year after our Hawaii cruise and toured Vancouver during the day. 

34 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Paul can put back the sheet with the officers, it seems that there are 2 missing pages in the post only icons appear (May 20), thank you

Thanks for letting me know. Here is the officers page 

4A73A87F-00B5-4D96-8ADA-9E46AF616571.thumb.jpeg.3f138111ab7188aeca6a285ef3eef8e4.jpeg

3 hours ago, dflawyer said:

My cruise, June 30-July 7, returns to Vancouver at 7 am and my flight home is 11 pm, so looking for a hotel for 8 am - 8 pm if such a thing exists. 

Also try these two websites:

hotelsbyday.com

dayuse.com