Illness on Celebrity Edge TA-April 28/19

BodyViver

I’m sorry your husband got sick.  Hopefully he will recover quickly.

We have cruised a lot and on almost every trip 1 of us, usually me, gets what we call “cruise cough”.   Between a few thousand people in a confined space on board and many traveling in planes with very close quarters and recirculated air germs get spread.

Sorry to hear the news.

We had it the last two days on EDGE, as did out table neighbors in BLU.. It got  progressively worse and took awhile to shake it after the cruise...

Hope  your dh feels better

There was also a large outbreak of "cruises cough" on the Infinity TA crossing.   We both caught it the last day of the cruise and still have a dry cough but improving daily.    I know of at least one couple who both came down with bronchitis and were on antibiotics for most of the cruise.   

• Like 1

Coughs and colds are Soooo easy to pass around when you're flying and then in close quarters with a few thousand other people who may also have flown to the cruise. It would be the rare cruise indeed where NO one came down with something.

• Like 1

People who taught there kids to cover their mouths when coughing and sneezing, can't remember to do it themselves.  I saw many on Eclipse coughing all over other people in the theater, without the slightest effort to cover.  There was also the cool refreshing mist of a sneeze on the back of my neck.  How we avoided getting sick is beyond me.

Our 14 night Carnival cruise was even worse, EVERYONE got sick by the end of the cruise, out of 200 on social media.  We even witnessed a woman sneeze into her hands, grab jello without the tongs, fishing for just the right color.  The Carnival crew that saw it just shook his head and laughed.

Yikes!  I've become more aware of these sorts of things.  I appreciate how many times Celebrity restrooms have a restroom attendant and/or a button next to the door that auto-opens the door.  I can't say I've "caught" anything from eating in the buffet, but...

Also, I have good balance, so (oddly) try not to have to grab the handrails while taking the stairs.  Likewise, in the elevator, I use my index finger knuckle to push the buttons.  That said, it is impossible to completely avoid the germs.

19 hours ago, BodyViver said:

Just wondering if anyone else got the nasty virus that got my husband.  He started with a cold and a very bad cough about half way through the cruise and is still suffering.

We were on this cruise, along with four friends. None of us became ill, despite four of us having to fly to the port. I noticed that very few people used the new hand washing stations - though we thought they were a great idea - and there were the usual people who couldn’t be bothered to wash hands in the restrooms. I also noticed a couple inconsiderate passengers having coughing fits without covering their mouths, and gave them wide berth. Despite the crew constantly cleaning all surfaces, they can only do so much without passenger cooperation. I thought there were fewer people coughing on this cruise than there were on our April 2017 Reflection TA. I’m sorry your husband picked up a virus, and I hope he feels better very soon🌺

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

I think it happens to everyone eventually if you cruise enough.  After 30+ cruises I came off of our Silhouette TA last month with a nasty cold that I am still fighting.  I think it is finally starting to abate but it's already been 3 weeks.  Hopefully I won't get another cruise related illness for another 30 cruises!!!😁

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I read on a roll call thread that one person died and at least three were hospitalized on the recent Reflection transatlantic.  

Oh that's scary as I have done so many TA in the last couple of years. I guess those sea days can make it harder for even the staff. Prayers for the deceased and family. 

i is really a shame that the new hand washing stations are used so infrequently on Edge.  My DH and I made a point of stopping each and every time to wash our hands, while others just walked on by.  There was also a crew member catching those who did not wash; however, she could only catch a few that were willing.  The age limit on TA's is a little older han the norm, so i guess more "forgetfulness" takes over...I only heard one or two people coughing the entire 15 days, the fewest ever for a TA or any other cruise.  It is a shame to come home from being ill onboard, especially if you did everything right to take precautions.

Firstly,  Lastdance, that is very rude of you to state that "older" than norm people are forgetful in this regard when people with inconsiderate hygiene habits know no age limits.  If you intended it as a joke, well it is not.

Back on subject, we were not on that particular Edge sailing but returned from the Silhouette in April and both of us came down with sinus cold etc. issues after returning home - in spite of diligent hand washing and sanitizing on board as always.  Lasted for about two weeks.  Oddly enough the very same thing happened to us a year ago after returning from the very same ship. Coincidence or not?  Air conditioning systems or not?

6 minutes ago, Anchor Light said:

Back on subject, we were not on that particular Edge sailing but returned from the Silhouette in April and both of us came down with sinus cold etc. issues after returning home - in spite of diligent hand washing and sanitizing on board as always.  Lasted for about two weeks.  Oddly enough the very same thing happened to us a year ago after returning from the very same ship. Coincidence or not?  Air conditioning systems or not?

Interesting were you on the Silhouette TA in April?  That's the one I caught "something" that lasted almost 3 weeks...

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Interesting were you on the Silhouette TA in April?  That's the one I caught "something" that lasted almost 3 weeks...

Interesting indeed.  No, we disembarked April 5 and the TA was after the following cruise, I believe.  Some people were coughing on board and I know of at least one who had pneumonia - but I don't think that's all that unusual on ships.  The other thing worth noting is that we were on a cruise on a different ship in July (between the two Silhouette cruises) and no illness afterward.  Hmmm... puzzling.  Still wondering about the air vent/conditioning systems.