Who has traveled and partner was a no show

cruisinmeme

It does not make sense to me that we have paid for two people (myself and husband) now two weeks before cruising he has decided not to go. To cancel him would cost another 1000.00 (besides what we already paid in full) so him being a no show is the only answer. My question is who has done this and at check in did you just play stupid or did you say “oh that idiot ain’t coming”

there will be family on this trip so i am fine going alone.

surely someone can shed light on what i should say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

It does not make sense to me that we have paid for two people (myself and husband) now two weeks before cruising he has decided not to go. To cancel him would cost another 1000.00 (besides what we already paid in full) so him being a no show is the only answer. My question is who has done this and at check in did you just play stupid or did you say “oh that idiot ain’t coming”

Why are you starting another thread, you already have an active one on this very subect.

~ puzzled ~

A couple years ago my son couldn't go because he got a summer job as a seasonal police officer. It was kind of heartbreakingm but it would have cost additional money to take someone in his place.  It happens, and you owe nobody onboard an explanation.  Just simply say, "unfortunately, he is not sailing afterall".  At the main dining room, they always said all of our names.  A reminder that we were missing one!  😞

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Are you allowed to take his name off and someone elses name on?  If so how much would that cost? What cruise is it?

Edited by Newleno

47 minutes ago, Melli56566 said:

A couple years ago my son couldn't go because he got a summer job as a seasonal police officer. It was kind of heartbreakingm but it would have cost additional money to take someone in his place.  

why would it cost additional $ to take someone else in his place?

that makes no sense.

and to the OP:

yeah, it also makes no sense that removing him costs $1000 more than a no show

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

that makes no sense.

and to the OP:

There is a fee to change names/docs

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

that makes no sense.

and to the OP:

makes no sense to me either, but when I called the cruise line there was a change fee.

1 minute ago, Gigi1068 said:

A few weeks before we were set to sail in October, My husband informed me that he would not be able to go.  I simply changed the cruise from him to my mother, no extra charge involved.

perhaps it depends on the cruise line.  Lucky for you!!

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Why are you starting another thread, you already have an active one on this very subect.

~ puzzled ~

Now that i know for sure how NCL handles a cancellation i wanted to hear from someone that actually went this route, not just hearsay theories. Yes, i have read there is a huge upcharge for someone not traveling but i read a lot of stuff, doesn’t make it fact.

For everyone else with suggestions, thanks.  Yes because i do not have my insurance with NCL i can change the name (no charge) but we are looking at last minute flights. Also we are just 2 weeks out. Already have available family going on this trip.

BTW i do have a very good insurance with my trip but just not wanting to go isn’t an option.  Well aware no money back, just didnt expect to pay even more.

will ride out the next 14 days and if nothing pops up on solo he will just be a no show. Then when someone ask i can tell the story first hand.

Two or three years ago I had to bail out of a trip due to family illness.  It was only a couple of days before sailing (Breakaway) and my sister was able to change my name to a friend's name with no issues or costs.  All prepaid, no additional costs.

We planned a family trip last Dec. On the Gem. Son and his wife and 3 kids plus hubby and I. They were first time cruisers. In Oct. Son had surgery for a broken foot and died at 41 of a blood clot 3 weeks later. Went back and forth as to go or not but since it was past final payment and the kids still wanted to go we did. Told them at check in he wouldn't be sailing. No problem. Will inform the ship. That didn't happen and they sent letters to their cabin about not showing up for muster drill and poor cabin steward asked the kids where their dad was. We worried if we told them ahead of time they would screw up the drink package they had and if anyone needed a drink it was her. On board they removed the dsc and 2 weeks later we were refunded port fees and taxes and drink service charge. Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, highwaynan said:

We planned a family trip last Dec. On the Gem. Son and his wife and 3 kids plus hubby and I. They were first time cruisers. In Oct. Son had surgery for a broken foot and died at 41 of a blood clot 3 weeks later. Went back and forth as to go or not but since it was past final payment and the kids still wanted to go we did. Told them at check in he wouldn't be sailing. No problem. Will inform the ship. That didn't happen and they sent letters to their cabin about not showing up for muster drill and poor cabin steward asked the kids where their dad was. We worried if we told them ahead of time they would screw up the drink package they had and if anyone needed a drink it was her. On board they removed the dsc and 2 weeks later we were refunded port fees and taxes and drink service charge. Hope this helps.

highwaynan, my very deepest condolences to you and your family. What a terrible thing to have happen...

Edited by Greenpea2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, highwaynan said:

I am so sorry for your families heartache. What a decision to make.(to go or not)

my case is so minor compared to yours.  Guess at this point i will just tell them he isn’t sailing. This is the first time i paid tips ahead of time and booked excursions. 

It would all be so simple if they didn’t penalize you by charging a grand more for going alone and already paid my husbands fare. 

Well i know not to book anything that involves a flight.  Lesson learned.

sorry again about your son. 

8 hours ago, highwaynan said:

I am really very sorry for your loss.

I am certain in this case they would have done something more than just refund the tax, fees and port charges.

When in December 2017 our daughter in a cabin as a single couldn't go with us at the last minute, we informed NCL at check-in. We forfeited the fare, but were not charged any taxes or port fees.(Small refund.)  I think if we had informed them ahead of time, there may have been some compensation if they had been able to rebook the cabin.

OP are you sure you are on the right forum?  I know Carnival will charge for a name change BUT NCL DOES NOT

If your husband is listed as passenger number 1, call and ask to have him moved to passenger number 2.  Then ask to drop his name and add someone in his place.  They do it all the time.  You are still maintaining your original booking and  then there are no fees for cancellation nor for name change.

11 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

OP are you sure you are on the right forum?  I know Carnival will charge for a name change BUT NCL DOES NOT

If your husband is listed as passenger number 1, call and ask to have him moved to passenger number 2.  Then ask to drop his name and add someone in his place.  They do it all the time.  You are still maintaining your original booking and  then there are no fees for cancellation nor for name change.

Correct! I was told I could do a name change at NO CHARGE  (was told because we didn’t have our insurance with NCL) problem is family is sailing with me already and I don’t have anyone I care to room with. It is granddaughters graduation cruise so I want to spend time with family and not be obligated to pal with someone else.Plus a flight from New Orleans to miami added to the mix. I am very willing to forfeit all the money spent. Just don’t want to pay more than what I already paid. When NCL told me if we cancel my husband I would be considered a solo and it would be an additional 1000.00 on top of what I already paid for the 2 of us.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/4/2020 at 12:38 AM, IRMO12HD said:

@cruisinmeme, if you don't mind saying, what happened?  Were you able to make the cruise?  Did the "no show" process work out okay?

I was able to work things out that i did not have to pay any extra.  I did end up going solo (in my cabin) but it still cost the price of the two of us. Does this make sense. Originally i was told it would be the fair (say 1800.00) X 2. Plus additional 1000.00 I couldn’t wrap my head around that theory.  Anyway i would never pay 3600.00 just for me, but i ended up doing that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

I was able to work things out that i did not have to pay any extra.  I did end up going solo (in my cabin) but it still cost the price of the two of us. Does this make sense. Originally i was told it would be the fair (say 1800.00) X 2. Plus additional 1000.00 I couldn’t wrap my head around that theory.  Anyway i would never pay 3600.00 just for me, but i ended up doing that.

I'm glad to hear you didn't have to pay anything extra.  That additional $1000 didn't make sense to me either.  Hopefully you had a great time!

In October 2010 I was scheduled to sail the Jewel with my then girlfriend. About 10 days before the cruise we broke up. She did not want to sail and I had already had the time off. NCL would not allow me to update the guest name as it was past the final payment date (that was what they told me for a reason). So I sailed alone in an Aft Mini-Suite. Nice cruise and very relaxing actually. I did get taxes and port fees returned to me. Today, I don't think I could cruise without my Wife; if I could take my dogs, they would join us too.

Good luck!

• Like 1