SURPRISE LIVE! - MS Zaandam - Boston to Montreal

*Miss G*

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you Turtles!  Yes, I definitely remember our convo regarding Brooklyn.  lol  Will you be sailing with HAL in the Fall?

We were originally booked on the Zuiderdam for the fall, one-way from Boston to Quebec City.   But the Celebrity Summit's RT from Cape Liberty, with an overnight in QC, turned out to work better for us, so we "jumped ship" to that.  (The Summit has just gotten a major refresh [part of Celebrity's "revolutionizing" of its M- and S-class ships], and we are also looking forward to being aboard for that reason as well.)

BTW, if you wind up eating donair in Halifax, let us know what you think about it.  :classic_smile:

6 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We were originally booked on the Zuiderdam for the fall, one-way from Boston to Quebec City.   But the Celebrity Summit's RT from Cape Liberty, with an overnight in QC, turned out to work better for us, so we "jumped ship" to that.  (The Summit has just gotten a major refresh [part of Celebrity's "revolutionizing" of its M- and S-class ships], and we are also looking forward to being aboard for that reason as well.)

BTW, if you wind up eating donair in Halifax, let us know what you think about it.  :classic_smile:

The Summit sounds really nice!  An overnight in QC and a RT are even better.  Looking forward to hearing about it.

Ah yes, donairs.  I haven’t had one of those since my youth, but I remember they were delicious.  Did you like them?

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Ah yes, donairs.  I haven’t had one of those since my youth, but I remember they were delicious.  Did you like them?

Oh, we haven't tried them yet.  When we were in Halifax last fall, we had (wonderful) seafood.  But this fall, who knows; I'm happy to hear you liked donair!    And I guess we have to try poutine in QC.  :classic_smile:

I am looking forwards to your thoughts and impressions.. a) because we are balcony dwellers, though I have weaned dh off suites exclusively (for which he said, "feel lucky" 🙄) so an OV is an adventure and b) we love this itinerary but probably spent less time on our balconies on the two we have done than any other cruises including Alaska. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jhannah said:

We are looking forward to this itinerary on the Zaandam in August to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. We've sailed this itinerary and Zaandam before, and are looking forward to going again.

I'll second the eating at Geddy's in Bar Harbor. That's our plan this time, too.

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary.

A cruise is a great way to celebrate.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary.

Thank you! On our anniversary day we will have high tea at the Chateau Frontenac. We thought that would be a notable way to celebrate. (Plus a Pinnacle dinner that night.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Looking forward to your live review of cruising  on board the Zaandam.

Wishing you safe travelling and a fabulous cruise.

Thank you erewhon!

@KK, sorry to have mislead!  We actually depart next weekend.  I got too eager!!

@jhannah, that sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate.  🌹

Thanks KK and IG!  Hope you get to do it again soon!

T-4 SLEEPS

I had read that the Zaandam electrical outlets are sparse, with no USB ports in the lower category cabins, so I did a  search for my super duper international travel charger.  So far I cannot find it.  On the bright side, I found a multi-port USB charger that I forgot I had.  I will bring that in a pinch.

We may get to sail to Montreal after all!  This week’s sailing got to get as far as T3, which isn’t the new terminal but it’s closer than Quebec City!  I have hopes now because bus rides are not my thing.

Today’s mission is to see if there is a wine store close to our hotel in Boston.  I would rather pick it up there than here.  First, because of the weight factor and, second, because I just know that one day I am going to find broken wine bottle and soaked clothes in my suitcase.  With white I could send it to the laundry but red will be disastrous.  My success rate with luggage and airports is not great.  Even with brand new guaranteed-not-to-break luggage.  It will and it does.

Bon voyage, MissG!:classic_smile:  We did the same itinerary a couple of years ago, on Rotterdam.  Enjoyed it very much.  There was a place mentioned in Montreal or QC, I can't remember, as we didn't get there, but I'm still thinking about it, that has poutine with confit of duck! 

16 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Bon voyage, MissG!:classic_smile:  We did the same itinerary a couple of years ago, on Rotterdam.  Enjoyed it very much.  There was a place mentioned in Montreal or QC, I can't remember, as we didn't get there, but I'm still thinking about it, that has poutine with confit of duck! 

Thank you Ann!  I am sorely tempted to get the charcuterie board in the Chateau Frontenac but there are so many other places to eat!  But that charcuterie board was amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

T-4 SLEEPS

I had read that the Zaandam electrical outlets are sparse, with no USB ports in the lower category cabins, so I did a  search for my super duper international travel charger.  So far I cannot find it.  On the bright side, I found a multi-port USB charger that I forgot I had.  I will bring that in a pinch.

We may get to sail to Montreal after all!  This week’s sailing got to get as far as T3, which isn’t the new terminal but it’s closer than Quebec City!  I have hopes now because bus rides are not my thing.

Today’s mission is to see if there is a wine store close to our hotel in Boston.  I would rather pick it up there than here.  First, because of the weight factor and, second, because I just know that one day I am going to find broken wine bottle and soaked clothes in my suitcase.  With white I could send it to the laundry but red will be disastrous.  My success rate with luggage and airports is not great.  Even with brand new guaranteed-not-to-break luggage.  It will and it does.

Where are you staying in Boston?

Okay, I think I’ve got this figured out.  

Wine at Mayhew Wine Shop.

Supper at The Barking Crab.

They look like they’re both within walking distance so we’re all set.  In fact, the port looks within walking distance also.  We’ll need to do a trial run to see if it can be done with luggage.  

Must remember to bring my wine bag.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

We are at the Boston Renaissance Waterfront.  (she said hopefully)

Last time we were in Boston, we stayed at the Seaport Hotel, which I will always love because they "rescued" me when my flight was cancelled at the end of a difficult business trip. When I stayed there on that trip many years ago, there wasn't a lot around. Now the area has many new buildings.I found a little liquor store last time--small, not a huge selection but we were just looking for some sailaway fizz, so it was OK. Fort Point Market (My itinerary from that trip is still on my computer, how obsessive is that?!?). However, looking on Googlemap, I see that there's what looks to be a pretty good store on D St, closer to your hotel. It's Seaport Wine and Spirits. 

Like you, I'm afraid to pack wine to take on a plane. I know people do it, but I don't want to tempt fate. 

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

T-4 SLEEPS

Enjoy your cruise! Hopefully it will be much warmer than it was last week. It actually snowed in Charlottetown, PEI the night before we arrived....

50 minutes ago, CDP Cruiser said:

Enjoy your cruise! Hopefully it will be much warmer than it was last week. It actually snowed in Charlottetown, PEI the night before we arrived....

Snow!!  :classic_ohmy:

That would not make me happy but I would not be surprised.  It will sure as heck surprise my husband though.  😂

Thank you, CDP Cruiser!

It has been a very cold and wet spring along the St. Lawrence and Great Lakes basin.  Flooding has slowed but not stopped.  It was 1 C this morning when I dropped my kids at the lake for rowing at 6:30.  But the sun was out which makes a huge difference.  

Here’s the long range forecasts in a number or the ports to help in packing.

Enjoy your cruise!

0E1B5006-30BD-4FA0-8583-3BEEB53DA5D3.jpeg

DCD00152-BA43-4068-B403-6CE2B6F708C1.jpeg

1A0989B5-43FF-4D54-8ADE-FCF0721A8448.jpeg

91F969E0-BD33-441F-9475-C8F91610A5A6.jpeg

Looking forward to your reports- I followed your last one and loved the humour.  It's thanks to you that I have booked the June 1st cruise from Montreal to Boston .  You mentioned the good deal which made me check and find the amazing prices for Oceanview.  I don't remember the last time I had an oceanview cabin so it will be interesting.  Can't wait to hear your reports.  I chose to go with departure from Montreal because of the docking issues - I didn't want that to be my arrival port.  If you hear anything during your cruise about whether they will make it to Montreal, please report.

• Like 1