SURPRISE LIVE! - MS Zaandam - Boston to Montreal

*Miss G*

This map is for the Montreal HoHo bus. The pickup point appears to be outside the Pointe-A-Calliere museum along the street very close to the T-1 berth of the cruise terminal. If the water level is down to normal, you should be at that spot. If not, you can expect a shuttle from the container dock to the same location.

Montreal Hop On Hop Off Bus

3 hours ago, lij1972 said:

I've got my cabin card and I'm waiting to board!

13 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I’m right with KK🥂🎉🤩🤩🤩

This is a great day and the CC crowd here is saying

BON VOYAGE 

Denise🌺👍

BON VOYAGE!!!!!

Have a fabulous cruise 😄 🙂 😄 

• Like 1

DAY ONE - BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 

Thank you everyone!

At noon we checked out of our hotel and hopped in a taxi to the port.  Husband said we walked Boston yesterday so it’s been done.  Okay with me.  We drop off our bags and go straight through Security.  No lines.  No waits.  Gosh I love not having to fill in those paper health forms.

We boarded on Deck 3 and made our way down to Deck 1 (aka “the basement”).  There is a musty damp smell that hits you (well, me, anyway) in these areas.  

THE ROOM

First impression is that the room is small, dark, and drab.  Everything is a dull beige monotone.  Except for the bathroom, which is sort of a fleshy pink and beige monotone.  The passage from the cabin door is narrow so if you have a scooter you’re not getting through. 

The bathroom shows its age.  My husband looks into it and says someone needs to rinse it down.  Now it takes a lot for my husband to notice things like that so take from that what you will.  Mostly it’s attributable to the age of the ship, but it can definitely use “a rinse down”.  Based on the amount of hair in and around the tub it looks like the previous tenant was a balding Sasquatch.  (If you get my drift.) But Sasquatch kept clean teeth, as evidenced by the toothpaste splatters around the sink.

The small TV is up on a shelf near the ceiling.  The screen is about the size of my laptop.  It is tuned to the emergency safety drill channel and the sound from the speaker is poor.  There is a small DVD player screwed to the underside but, based on previous reviews, I know not to bother with the DVD library.  I was already aware this ship did not have the large interactive TV’s so I came prepared with books. 

Boy was it hot in here when we entered!  I went to turn the thermostat down and discovered it was on its lowest setting.  In fact, it felt like everywhere we went in the entire ship it was boiling hot.  I did not bring summer clothes so this has me concerned.  Especially for sleeping.  Turns out I shouldn’t have been worried.  Once we were underway the AC suddenly kicked in and then it was freezing everywhere we went.  Hopefully they’ll figure out the controls so we can get to a happy medium.

Here are the light switches behind each of our pillows.  The lights turn on and off every time you move, so that’s fun.

F571FFED-5B8D-47F1-9197-1927D51A0C2E.jpeg

Miss G,

I'm on that deck as well.  I didn't notice a musty smell but I agree that the decore needs updating as it is tired.  My room was comfortable (about 72F) when I got in.  All the cabin were ready before they started embarkation which was a first for me.  I had one issue with the room which was fixed (a very loose grab bar which left rust in the tub).  They only had done half the job as I had to clean the tub before showering but I told my Steward. I didn't have issues with the light switches in bed.

Other than that it was good.  I did feel/hear the thrusters this morning but that didn't wake me up.  (I sleep with earplugs).  

Lij

Here is the Hoover.  It is actually a hair dryer disguised as a vacuum cleaner.  There is a shaving outlet in the middle.  It charges my husband’s toothbrush and my nightlight works too.

FFA80D8E-E657-4F34-BC4B-28397A33B5A6.jpeg

LUNCH IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM

We make our way to the main dining room for lunch to avoid the crowds at the buffet.  This ship is like the Winchester Mansion.  Everywhere leads to nowhere and we keep finding ourselves at a dead end.  We run into others with the same lost looks on their faces but we eventually find our way.

Lunch in the MDR reinforces our decision to eat in the Pinnacle Grill every night.  I watch in astonishment as my husband’s first course is whisked away and his main course served while I am still eating salad.  I lay down my fork and watch him eat while I wait for them to remember that I have a main course too.  

The wine steward does a hard sell on a wine tasting to be held on the sea day.  It will be us and 198 of our closest friends.  “It is an unlimited pour so you can get as drunk as you like.”  She actually included those words as part of her marketing strategy.  I think she missed Day One in Marketing class because they also tell you to know your audience.  But she is persistent so I’ll give her that.

Last plane to land before we pass in front of the runway.

78B9390C-B128-4C39-A5B0-2CE60234A529.jpeg

6 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Great description but inquiring minds want to know if it  works?

It does!  I haven’t tried it on my hair but I took the hose out and it turned on.  There is also a normal hair dryer in the desk drawer.

47 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

No idea what this does.  Maybe it’s to turn the sound up and down in the next room because it certainly does nothing in this room.

3B931DB7-08AD-4F63-942E-9007CEB04531.jpeg

That used to be the radio -- you could play music and listen to announcements.  They have long since been disconnected.

40 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Here is the Hoover.  It is actually a hair dryer disguised as a vacuum cleaner.  There is a shaving outlet in the middle.  It charges my husband’s toothbrush and my nightlight works too.

FFA80D8E-E657-4F34-BC4B-28397A33B5A6.jpeg

Those hair dryers were taken out of many of the R and S class ships.  When they worked, they were powerful.

2 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

That used to be the radio -- you could play music and listen to announcements.  They have long since been disconnected.

Ohhh!  Mystery solved.  Thank you, KK!

8 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Glad you are safely on the ship.

We gave up going to the wine tastings when they cut it from six wines to taste to four. And you barely got an ounce to taste.

Looking forward to more reports. 

If I remember correctly (from the list she showed us) there were about 8 or 9 choices of varying varietals. Unlimited pour.  So more like a reception than a tasting.

Oh my, we will be boarding the Zaandam in a month.   From your description I suppose I shouldn’t even ask if the Zaandam has been refitted with the lower sided tubs or USB ports beside the bed.  

Silly me but I’ll ask anyway. Has it been?😀😀😀😀

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

If I remember correctly (from the list she showed us) there were about 8 or 9 choices of varying varietals. Unlimited pour.  So more like a reception than a tasting.

Sounds like it may be similar to the “Wines around the World”.  There are usually some decent wines there.  If it’s $25 pp then I suspect it’s the same 😉 

We had those hairdryers on the Rotterdam too.  I used the one in the drawer but that hair dryer is much stronger if one needs strength.  The hose gets hot on the hand though 😉 

• Like 1

Finally got caught up Miss G! A lot happening here at our condo in Maui🙄

Ill let you know at the end! Happy your on board and I agree how hot it was in the room and everywhere!! Thought I was going to have hot flashes the whole time on board LOL! What I am so surprised with is the old Hoover hair dryer!!!!! Jacqui is right I remember how hot the Handel got on it! I stay with the one in the drawer! Last time we were on her to Hawaii was in 2010!  Have a wonderful trip! I also would be enjoying our dinners in PG! My DH said he is surprised that she has not really been refurbished still have the old TVs!

Our condo is in Kaanapali and right next door is a wonderful park for barbecues and snorkeling and diving!!!

last 28 years we always go there do a lot of snorkeling and swim over to our place.

we are on 24 hour watch now!

Shark attack killed a 65 year old man 60 yards off shore yesterday there!! 😞 so sad! Helicopters are scanning shore line

seadoos in water signs up and no one in water! This is from Black Rock at the Sheraton going north past our place and the park! We were out in the water yesterday before breakfast!!

just now from balcony 2 more seadoos going by!

Anyway sorry for me explaining stuff here.

Denise🌺🌺😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sapper1 said:

Oh my, we will be boarding the Zaandam in a month.   From your description I suppose I shouldn’t even ask if the Zaandam has been refitted with the lower sided tubs or USB ports beside the bed.  

Silly me but I’ll ask anyway. Has it been?😀😀😀😀

No refitted tubs or USB ports.  The only plug in the entire room is above the desk.  I brought a multi-port charger for just that purpose.  Here is a pic.

1101F9B4-0AAB-4352-99B4-F78A57DDD967.jpeg

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sounds like it may be similar to the “Wines around the World”.  There are usually some decent wines there.  If it’s $25 pp then I suspect it’s the same 😉 

Yes!  It is Wines Around the World for $25!!  You are good.

26 minutes ago, kazu said:

We had those hairdryers on the Rotterdam too.  I used the one in the drawer but that hair dryer is much stronger if one needs strength.  The hose gets hot on the hand though 😉 

Oooh Matron!  😂

Thanks for the heads up on the hot hose!