When are cabins typically ready? (in lieu of FTTF)

We are travelling in August on the Elation (5 day cruise).  Not really interested in spending $80 for FTTF to get on early/gain early access to cabins.  We will be flying in a few days early and thus will be able to head to Port Canaveral whenever we want.  

What time are cabins usually ready?  

How early can you board without FTTF?

edit to add... and if I change my mind and decide to get it.... how early can I get on?

Edited by 773 Miles Away

10 minutes ago, 773 Miles Away said:

We are travelling in August on the Elation (5 day cruise).  Not really interested in spending $80 for FTTF to get on early/gain early access to cabins.  We will be flying in a few days early and thus will be able to head to Port Canaveral whenever we want.  

edit to add... and if I change my mind and decide to get it.... how early can I get on?

Rooms are usually ready at 1:30

There’s no set time for anyone to board. There can be any number of reasons why boarding can be delayed. If you don’t have FTTF, you can only check in at port during your assigned check in time, which you choose in your Cruise Manager.  Or you can show up later than your assigned time. But not earlier. 

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

There’s no set time for anyone to board. There can be any number of reasons why boarding can be delayed. If you don’t have FTTF, you can only check in at port during your assigned check in time, which you choose in your Cruise Manager.  Or you can show up later than your assigned time. But not earlier. 

You can show up earlier than your check-in  window, at least for ports in Florida. Each port has a separate line for early/late guests. The downside of showing up outside your check-in window is the line can potentially be very long. 

2 hours ago, 773 Miles Away said:

90 days prior to your cruise, you'll be able to complete your online check-in from your Cruise Manager. Here you'll pick your check-in time (or arrival time). It's a half-hour window. The sooner you pick this time, the earlier the time you can get for general boarding. The earliest times are reserved for priority passengers. Check-in at the terminal goes pretty fast nowadays, but when you board depends on the arrival time you get and the general boarding zone number you're issued at check-in. Boarding for priority passengers has often started around 11:00. We had FTTF last year and were on board, dropped off our carry-on bags, and were done eating lunch by 11:25. But from what I've read on here, boarding has been starting a bit later in recent months, like around 11:30-12:00.

2 hours ago, 773 Miles Away said:

If you do get FTTF, you'll board after wedding parties, Platinum/Diamond, and suites. Again, when they start depends on how soon they clear the ship after the previous cruise.

3 hours ago, 773 Miles Away said:

Just an FYI, FTTF frequently sells out so it might not be available if you change your mind later on. Also, FTTF has benefits beyond early boarding and early cabin access. 

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an FYI, FTTF frequently sells out so it might not be available if you change your mind later on. Also, FTTF has benefits beyond early boarding and early cabin access. 

This is the first thing I noticed also. Just because it's available right now, it'll probably be sold out in an hour. ESPECIALLY for a cruise that's in August. 

16 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You can show up earlier than your check-in  window, at least for ports in Florida. Each port has a separate line for early/late guests. The downside of showing up outside your check-in window is the line can potentially be very long. 

With all due respect, the whole point of staggered check-in is to keep the port from getting too congested. Which makes things a nightmare for everyone. So no, you should not show up before your time slot. 

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

With all due respect, the whole point of staggered check-in is to keep the port from getting too congested. Which makes things a nightmare for everyone. So no, you should not show up before your time slot. 

While I don’t disagree with your point, Carnival’s current boarding process allows people to show up early if they want to. Personally I don’t care how crowded the port gets due to lots of people showing up early, and if you cruise often like we do, you know this is the norm. We still haven’t had to wait more than a few minutes in the priority line no matter what time we show up to the port, and that is our main concern. If other people want to show up early and wait in line for an hour or longer at times, it is not my place to tell them they can’t do that when Carnival allows for it. 

• Like 1

We've typically arrived early and lines if any were short. Even with fttf. Somtimes luggage wouldn't show till after 4. Only time I was glad I bought it was when we  were sailing out of Nola with family I also bought fttf for as when we showed up lines were pretty long and got through pretty quick. Cabins beng ready varied every cruise. 

I like arriving to port about 1. Less likely to stuck in a sea of people from a delay, don't have to pay $100 to get to my room, port isn't congested, and my room is ready. Never understood the allure of two more hours being worth an extra $100.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I like arriving to port about 1. Less likely to stuck in a sea of people from a delay, don't have to pay $100 to get to my room, port isn't congested, and my room is ready. Never understood the allure of two more hours being worth an extra $100.

Yeah I don't understand the allure of paying that much money just for a couple extra hours neither, luckily though FTTF offers much more than just that 

Edited by StarOne1
  • Like 1

Although we've had FTTF more often than not the last few cruises, I have been on a few where they made the announcement that cabins were ready a bit earlier than 1:30- once at a few minutes after 1, another time I recall it was about 1:15... not significant, but if you're in a hurry to drop off your carry-ons before eating or exploring, it helps!

There's lots of things other people do on a cruise that I don't do myself. Things that I, personally, think are a waste of time and/or money. But I recognize that everyone vacations differently. It doesn't make sense to get so worked up over what other people do when it doesn't affect me at all. The never-ending rants against people who buy FTTF is quite tiresome.

• Like 1

I don't use FTTF but it's to my advantage when others do.  I see people carrying on ice chest, 12 packs, etc.. their total volume of carry on is greater than my check in.  The quicker they get rid of it the less congestions  there is in the buffet area, elevators and hall ways.  Add kids with backpacks and those small roll-ons.  I think it is worth it for those people.  I prefer to check as much as I can and carry as little as possible.

44 minutes ago, TxShipShape said:

I don't use FTTF but it's to my advantage when others do.  I see people carrying on ice chest, 12 packs, etc.. their total volume of carry on is greater than my check in.  The quicker they get rid of it the less congestions  there is in the buffet area, elevators and hall ways.  Add kids with backpacks and those small roll-ons.  I think it is worth it for those people.  I prefer to check as much as I can and carry as little as possible.

Odd.....but ok. I haven't witnessed what you have described but if you did and it makes you happy then party on and have a great cruise. 

We will be boarding in San Juan one September on the Fascination which rarely has lines for

anyrhing.  Didn’t buy FTTF but want to drop all bags (except maybe a backpack) to travel around OSJ.  I may just choose going to Barrachinas restaurant first since they store baggage for free between 9-5 & taxi to the port (not far from the restaurant but will have several bags).  Appears to be a better option than dropping off “some” bags at port on a schedule & waiting any before our scheduled time.  Might even take the LATEST check-in time (sails at 6pm).

Edited by soonernstlouis