Live- From New York, its the Dawn to NE-Canada 5-18-19

seadog67

If the ship is due to arrive at 7am, you could be off the ship as early as 8am or 8:30am if you do self assist walk off with your luggage. There is NO place to store your luggage, the last folks are usually off the ship by 10am or 10:30am, and it takes roughly 45mins - 1 hour to get to LGA from midtown NYC depending on traffic of course.

Hi,

Do you remember what dining room was open at embarkation? The buffet on that day is just too savage.

Also, I read about free shuttle to Acadia NP and about town, was that operating as of yet?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, bones774 said:

Hi,

Do you remember what dining room was open at embarkation? The buffet on that day is just too savage.

Also, I read about free shuttle to Acadia NP and about town, was that operating as of yet?

Thanks

So to answer Q2-I just called the Explorer shuttle bus and service does not start until the 23. Also said no other public trans to get there, tour operators only.

1 hour ago, bones774 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Main DR open at embarkation...Venetian

29 minutes ago, bones774 said:

Did anyone see Prosciutto and Smoked Salmon (Lox) onboard? Where and When?

Thanks

Saw no prosciutto and smoked salmon in DR on breakfast menu...in buffet it is salmon mouse.

Great review and pictures.  Was hoping to see some pictures of the Spinnaker Lounge or whatever they call the forward observation room on deck 12 or 13.  Was thinking of booking the Dawn, wanted to see the layout and the views.  Spinnaker is my favorite spot on the Gem and the Jewel.

5 minutes ago, Até said:

Dawn and Star lost their forward observation lounges to added suites in 2010. 

Thank you, Ate.  Taking Dawn and Star off my future list.  Just two more four letter words.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, mking8288 said:

If only NCL folks know about seafood feasts at City Island ... for us, 20 minutes over the BWB if traffic isn't bad (although, prices had gone up in 2019 ... business is just as good.)  

Lived on CI for several years…loved every minute!

On 5/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, amygutman said:

Loved the photos of the front of the ship - going to be in 10506 June 15th and seeing the front view of the balcony just made me smile. 

Enjoy and thank you in advance! 

Amy

Amy, we will be in 10510 in July!  Taking a shot on a sideways inside...hoping we don’t regret it!! 

5 hours ago, Juvesgirl said:

Lived on CI for several years…loved every minute!

Amy, we will be in 10510 in July!  Taking a shot on a sideways inside...hoping we don’t regret it!! 

That's wonderful...I'll see If I can grab a few photos for you!

On CruideDeckPlans.com, there is a photo of the outside balcony of 10501 - looks like a fantastic balcony...OK...most balconies are fantastic, but it's unobstructed and high up which generally = a lovely view. 

Amy

17 hours ago, bones774 said:

Did anyone see Prosciutto and Smoked Salmon (Lox) onboard? Where and When?

Thanks

Bagel & Lox on the MDR breakfast menu daily, I ordered them several times on the Dawn.  Moderno's buffet has them. 

I am not sure if they still have a stash of smoked salmon hidden under/behind the counter - refrigerated - in the Garden Cafe during morning breakfast - had to ask them for it (Gem & Escape) as they stopped putting them out

IMG_20190514_094333057.jpg

IMG_20190515_174131074.jpg

Edited by mking8288

9 hours ago, amygutman said:

That's wonderful...I'll see If I can grab a few photos for you!

On CruideDeckPlans.com, there is a photo of the outside balcony of 10501 - looks like a fantastic balcony...OK...most balconies are fantastic, but it's unobstructed and high up which generally = a lovely view. 

Amy

Gosh, that would be amazing, thank you!!!  Maybe the door will be propped open when you board 🙂

Crossing my fingers that your balcony is as great as the pic you saw!!

Are you heading north to Canada or South to FL and Bahamas?

On 6/1/2019 at 4:30 PM, Juvesgirl said:

Gosh, that would be amazing, thank you!!!  Maybe the door will be propped open when you board 🙂

Crossing my fingers that your balcony is as great as the pic you saw!!

Are you heading north to Canada or South to FL and Bahamas?

Bahamas / Florida - love Canada, but I need some SUN after toiling on night shifts since January!

It's our first time on the Dawn so I'm sure we will taking a ton of photos...I do not have the dedication that our favorite live and semi-live streamers do though! 

Actually...I read here somewhere that one of cruisecritic regulars is doing a youtube review of the Dawn in the next week - troll the boards and see if you can find out who and see if you can get your photos even before we get on the boat next week!

Amy

On 6/8/2019 at 3:10 PM, amygutman said:

Bahamas / Florida - love Canada, but I need some SUN after toiling on night shifts since January!

It's our first time on the Dawn so I'm sure we will taking a ton of photos...I do not have the dedication that our favorite live and semi-live streamers do though! 

Actually...I read here somewhere that one of cruisecritic regulars is doing a youtube review of the Dawn in the next week - troll the boards and see if you can find out who and see if you can get your photos even before we get on the boat next week!

Amy

Good to know, I will keep my eyes peeled!  And wow, you do need a break - night shifts must be a challenge!!

Any plans for the ports? We have the same itinerary (we stop in Freeport - not sure if you stop there or Nassau?).  We were thinking Tannio Beach maybe for Freeport and perhaps kayaking near the Manatees in Port Canaveral, but no finalized plans yet.

Thanks again!! 

1 hour ago, Juvesgirl said:

Good to know, I will keep my eyes peeled!  And wow, you do need a break - night shifts must be a challenge!!

Any plans for the ports? We have the same itinerary (we stop in Freeport - not sure if you stop there or Nassau?).  We were thinking Tannio Beach maybe for Freeport and perhaps kayaking near the Manatees in Port Canaveral, but no finalized plans yet.

Thanks again!! 

As per this thread...if you do go ashore to Nassau a few recs:

The Shoal for Johnny cake, The Drop in the Fish Fry area for anything! Hail a cab at the port (tons of aggressive cabbies so watch out...best to wait a few hours on board the ship until it clears out a bit) and have them join you for lunch. It's a great way to get a feel for island life and make a new friend. We've also done the Malia hotel from resorts for a day - it's on the opposite side of the island than the cruise ports and Atlantis (about a 20 minute cab ride) and it's lovely - I will add photos of all three to this post.

This time, we have hired Sharad from advice on TripAdvisor - runs a taxi service with awesome reviews. We've asked him to take us to hidden spots on the island...looking forward to meeting him and seeing new things. 

The only thing we have done tour-wise in Port Canaveral is NASA - highly recommend. It's an amazing day, you feel burstingly proud to be an American, and if you are lucky, meet a real astronaut. One of the docents in the museum joined us for lunch - turns out he is a retired engineer who was on shift on the day of the infamous Jim Lovell "Houston...we have a problem" who gave us a challenge coin and gave us a spontaneous history lesson over fries and ice cream.

Go to the cruise critic port forums or trip advisor for tons of ideas - but remember that opinions are like...well...you know. Experiences are deeply personal - hence the reason to keep travelling and experience these things for yourself...it's truly joyful.  Amy

malia 1.JPG

shoal.JPG

the drop.JPG

drop2.JPG

malia 2.JPG