Young passengers on Holland America

lippi1970

1 hour ago, lippi1970 said:

Hello everbody, we are planning a Cruise in august with our doughter Who is 19. Is our first time on HAL, usually are there teens and young adult?

Maybe you get more reactions if you mention part of the world, ship and length of the cruise? 

We were on a partial Panama cruise during spring break 2 years ago-it was a 10 day cruise.  We didn’t see many people under 25 years old.  

Like above poster said,  it may  be different depending on ship and area you’re cruising.

I cruise HAL with my 4 kids every summer. If it is a 7 day cruise during the summer, like to Alaska,  there will be several younger people in board. However,  we did 14 days in September and my teens were the only teens on the ship. They were pretty miserable.  My 17yo was so bored, he wont go again.  But we did 14 days in June the previous year and there was a bunch of teens, and he still talks to them. So it really depends on the time of year. 

4 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Maybe you get more reactions if you mention part of the world, ship and length of the cruise? 

Thanks to everybody.

I’m planning the mediterranean to Giblater, ten days, second half of August.

It would be our first Cruise with Holland American

21 hours ago, lippi1970 said:

Thanks to everybody.

I’m planning the mediterranean to Giblater, ten days, second half of August.

It would be our first Cruise with Holland American

We were on a 7 night HAL cruise to Alaska in July a couple years ago and there were 100 kids onboard. Our TA told us that typically you’ll find many multigenerational family groups on HAL in the summer and especially on the shorter itinerary 7 night cruises and that seemed to be the case on our cruise. You could join your roll call now to connect in advance with others your family might enjoy spending time with/booking tours with. If your daughter is looking for great nightlife with other young adults she may be disappointed on HAL but if this cruise is more about your family spending quality time together and exploring new destinations I think you can have a wonderful time on HAL. I think much of it is going in with realistic expectations. I hope you have a wonderful time together on your cruise!

Fellow young passenger here! Honestly, I think that your daughter's experience on HAL really depends on the kind of person she is. Me, I really didn't like kid's clubs when I was young and I didn't really hang out with the other kids on board. I would be totally happy to play by myself or with family so long as there was stuff on board that I could do. The introvert in me continues as I'm really not a big nightlife fan at all. Thus, it doesn't really bother me that HAL doesn't offer too much nightlife. I think sea days are a bit weak in terms of set activities she might be interested in, but if she's just looking to relax and enjoy herself, I'm sure they will find fun things to do together. How many sea days are you looking at?

How much they enjoy their cruise depends on what they make of it and what they need in a cruise. If they're super into teen clubs, nightlife, thrill activities, I don't think HAL is for them but if they're a bit more like me, they'll have a great time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

We were on a 7 night HAL cruise to Alaska in July a couple years ago and there were 100 kids onboard. Our TA told us that typically you’ll find many multigenerational family groups on HAL in the summer and especially on the shorter itinerary 7 night cruises and that seemed to be the case on our cruise. You could join your roll call now to connect in advance with others your family might enjoy spending time with/booking tours with. If your daughter is looking for great nightlife with other young adults she may be disappointed on HAL but if this cruise is more about your family spending quality time together and exploring new destinations I think you can have a wonderful time on HAL. I think much of it is going in with realistic expectations. I hope you have a wonderful time together on your cruise!

Thank you!

my doughter spend great night libe when she is home 😉

we like spending quality time together, I was only wondering about the presence of other young adult onboard.

I wait to know it here in the roll call 😁

7 hours ago, simplyrubies said:

Fellow young passenger here! Honestly, I think that your daughter's experience on HAL really depends on the kind of person she is. Me, I really didn't like kid's clubs when I was young and I didn't really hang out with the other kids on board. I would be totally happy to play by myself or with family so long as there was stuff on board that I could do. The introvert in me continues as I'm really not a big nightlife fan at all. Thus, it doesn't really bother me that HAL doesn't offer too much nightlife. I think sea days are a bit weak in terms of set activities she might be interested in, but if she's just looking to relax and enjoy herself, I'm sure they will find fun things to do together. How many sea days are you looking at?

How much they enjoy their cruise depends on what they make of it and what they need in a cruise. If they're super into teen clubs, nightlife, thrill activities, I don't think HAL is for them but if they're a bit more like me, they'll have a great time.

Hi, thanks for answering!

Elena usually  enjoyed the kids  club when she was 5/8. When she get older she liked spending the time with us on the cruises.

In the last years my niece always came with us in two long cruises. But I think Elena will enjoy this with us 😊

Nineteen is a difficult age for cruising. Too old for the teen club. Too young to drink legally. That much said, if you go on your cruise at a time when college aged kids are out of school, your daughter will find kids to hang with. At 18 (7 years ago), my daughter went on a HAL Mediterranean cruise and found a group of 10 young adults (18-21) to hang with. They were together for the entire cruise and several are still Facebook friends all these years later.

Bottom line: If your daughter is willing to make friends (don't hang out in the cabin all dsy and don't be afraid to say hello to someone), she will make friends!  

• Like 1