Cruise Critic Community

Our experiences with this are all different but it does not stop us all from becoming experts on the topic. We will never know the truth until an executive from Princess comes here and clarifies the situation. That is most unlikely to happen.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, 1emerald1 said:

I recently got off the Royal and asked my waiter if she gets to keep a cash tip and she said as long as I left the auto gratuity on she gets to keep the cash.  That was two weeks ago, so fairly fresh.

My question would be, if your waiter doesn't get to keep the extra cash, why would they ask for your cabin number? I always assumed it's so they can verify you paid your auto gratuities. The only person who never asks for our cabin number when we give a cash tip is our cabin steward. I assumed this is because they can easily check your auto gratuities since they know where you've been living. Why do they care what your cabin number is if they have to put it in the pool? I believe what your waiter told you is true but that is just an assumption based on this common question.

5 minutes ago, coopco said:

My question would be, if your waiter doesn't get to keep the extra cash, why would they ask for your cabin number? I always assumed it's so they can verify you paid your auto gratuities. The only person who never asks for our cabin number when we give a cash tip is our cabin steward. I assumed this is because they can easily check your auto gratuities since they know where you've been living. Why do they care what your cabin number is if they have to put it in the pool? I believe what your waiter told you is true but that is just an assumption based on this common question.

Yes, on another cruise my waiter brought my envelope back and asked me to write my name and cabin number on it. I already had but I guess he didn’t notice it.

See how many people here know more about how things work that the actual contract, just amazing.

My wife and I take longer cruises. (Retirement is a wonderful thing).  We do leave the the auto gratuities in place.  Weekly, we leave an extra tip on the bed in the morning with a nice note thanking him, or her for their good work.  Each week commenting on something else we are happy about.

What happens from there is not my concern.  The room steward at least knows how we feel, and can do whatever is required.

We almost always get a nice thank you from the steward the next time they see us.

We also do the comment cards, and mention to the steward that we gave them a good report.  That also gets a nice smile and "Thank You".

Thanks everyone! We tipped him $100 cash. He was excellent and always had a great attitude and fast to to help. We also filled out a comment card. We were on a 7 day cruise to Alaska in a full suite.

4 hours ago, HoneymoonCruiser5 said:

Thanks everyone! We tipped him $100 cash. He was excellent and always had a great attitude and fast to to help. We also filled out a comment card. We were on a 7 day cruise to Alaska in a full suite.

Same here!  Inside passage May 11th to May 18th, full suite, $100 cash tip.

He did so much more for us including balloons, a nice poster on our door, wash cloth bunnies, and a personal anniversary card for our 25th.  We filled out the recommendation cards for him and another staff member in Speak Easy Lounge (who we also tipped), and gave them glowing praise on the survey.