Are there ever any repositioning cruises from Asia to North America?

naomisbb

Im sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasnt sure where to ask this.  Looking for any repositioning cruises from Asia to North America.  Maybe Hawaii if thats closest, but hoping there is something, but having difficulty finding out. Any advice?  Greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Have you looked at a Yokohama to Vancouver itineraries?  I know that Celebrity does them, but also suspect that other lines do as well.

Thank you. I will check that out. 

29 minutes ago, ShipsandDipper said:

We’re on a Yokohama to Seward crossing right now.  They tend to happen spring and fall. 

We did a Vancouver to Yokohama itinerary followed by a cruise around Japan in the fall of 2018 for a nice B2B pairing.  We are scheduled for a cruise around Japan followed by the TP crossing to Vancouver in the spring of 2021.  We spent some time in Tokyo in 2018 after we left the ship, and will spend time in Japan in 2021 before we board for the B2B.

Hope you enjoy Seward.  We drive down from Fairbanks almost every summer.

40 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We did a Vancouver to Yokohama itinerary followed by a cruise around Japan in the fall of 2018 for a nice B2B pairing.  We are scheduled for a cruise around Japan followed by the TP crossing to Vancouver in the spring of 2021.  We spent some time in Tokyo in 2018 after we left the ship, and will spend time in Japan in 2021 before we board for the B2B.

Hope you enjoy Seward.  We drive down from Fairbanks almost every summer.

It’ll be interesting to compare the time changes on the west-east to the east-west. We’ve been moving an hour forward every day since our last Japan stop and tomorrow have the interesting experience of a second Sunday May 19 as we cross the International Date Line tonight. We were trying to decide if it would be easier to be going the other way. 

• Like 1

Japan to Alaska (region) are definitely the most common I've seen listed. I've seen some that go from LA or other West Coast to South Pacific and/or Australia (and then some that go between Australia and China, other Asia). Many different cruise lines offer these options - best bet is to find a consolidator type website (which we cannot mention by name here) and search for repositioning cruises to see what's out there.....

7 hours ago, ShipsandDipper said:

It’ll be interesting to compare the time changes on the west-east to the east-west. We’ve been moving an hour forward every day since our last Japan stop and tomorrow have the interesting experience of a second Sunday May 19 as we cross the International Date Line tonight. We were trying to decide if it would be easier to be going the other way. 

We’ve found east-west much easier than west-east.  Our worst was in the Baltic when we went from Dover to St Petersburg with port stops and time zone changes almost every day.  So we kept getting up earlier and earlier for excursions.  The return trip back to Dover was much easier.  I thought our TransAtl trip would make the 5 time zone changes easier... but I found I was constantly tired instead just biting the bullet for one big time change.  The most interesting was when we did a Transpacific (FLL to Tahiti).  Because we stopped at Easter Island which is artificially in Chile’s time zone, we traveled for days without changing the clock and the sunset time changed dramatically.  After we left Easter Island, we changed a time zone every day until we caught up to the proper sunset time.  But that transition was much easier because we could sleep in rather than rise earlier as one does in the other direction.  That’s why we chose the AK to Tokyo trip in August.  We miss the cherry blossoms but we hope to be more energetic traveling west.

We did Vancouver to Yokohama on Celebrity then spent ten days in Japan before flying home.  We didn’t have a problem with time changes and arrived in Japan well rested.  We visited Kyoto, Nara, Hakone (for Mt. Fuji) and ended up in Tokyo.  It was easy to travel independently using a JR Pass for the first seven days then exploring Tokyo when the pass had run out.

Sheila

We've done Vancouver to Hong Kong twice on Holland America, both times on the Volendam and at the end of September. The first cruise, which took 32 days, was more interesting because we covered many Japanese ports, as well as Chinese and S. Korean ones. The second one, which was 28 days, went up to Alaska before crossing the Pacific, and we had just a few Japanese ports. I understand that Holland America also has repositioning cruises from Shanghai or Yokohama to North America, often in April so their ships can begin the Alaska season. You can go to their website to have a look.

Monica

I think the OP is looking for repositioning cruises from Asia to North America. These won't happen until next spring, and the earliest ones would be from Tokyo to Vancouver on HAL's Westerdam (16 nights) on April 25, 2020 and the Celebrity Millennium (13 nights) on May 10, 2020. I'm sure there are many more if you do a web search of the cruise agents.

Monica

I'm booked on Westerdam's TP crossing from Yokohama to Vancouver on April 25, 2020.  The itinerary is beautiful and there will be lots of relaxing days at sea.  This itinerary goes to Glacier Bay - Which is a plus!

There are lots of choices. :classic_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Japan is an upcoming cruise destination. Several Holland America ships go there from North American west coast cities and vice versa. In addition to the lines mentioned, you my want to check Ponant and Azamara. Some other ships cross the Pacific as part of their world cruise. You can buy the segment that is most convenient for you. Some go from Florida via the Panama Canal and Lima through the South Pacific.

On 5/19/2019 at 4:11 AM, naomisbb said:

Im sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasnt sure where to ask this.  Looking for any repositioning cruises from Asia to North America.  Maybe Hawaii if thats closest, but hoping there is something, but having difficulty finding out. Any advice?  Greatly appreciated.

There will likely be around the world cruises that you may be able to book a segment on that covers the Asia to North America, so if you can find a suitable itinerary, you can then search for segments, which are usually in March, or thereabouts.  The UK lines of P&O, Fred Olsen and Cunard do that sort of thing and I suspect other cruise lines as well e.g. Princess.  The itineraries often go west, but can go east some years and itineraries differ each year.  They go through Panama and the Carribbean, but I have seen stops in North America (e.g. California and/or Miami).  They are not regular cruises.

Good luck with your search, there must be loads, just a case of being able to find them 

Carnival Splendour is doing the opposite, from Long Beach, CA - Hawaii - Singapore with stops in between of course in Oct 2019. Maybe that might interest you!

Edited by Ethanol95

• 2 weeks later...

Celebrity Eclipse is cruising from Honolulu to Vancouver on Oct 3, 2019. We were planning on making it a B2B by sailing Vancouver to Tokyo on Millinium and then flying to Hawaii.  There are some good airfares from Tokyo to Honolulu.  

We ended up boooking a Viking cruise from Beijing to Hong Kong instead....I suspect we will regret it about an hour after we are aboard the long flights back!

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Have you looked at a Yokohama to Vancouver itineraries?  I know that Celebrity does them, but also suspect that other lines do as well.

Princess and HAL also have similar Japan to North America itineraries.  Some of the luxury lines also offer options.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Just came across this thread.  We just completed a Hong Kong to Tokyo + Tokyo to San Francisco (B2B) 5/9- 6/17, 2019 on the Crystal Symphony.  One flight to HK!  Stayed in the Marco Polo Hong Kong hotel that is adjacent to the Ocean Terminal Pier.   Smooth transfer to the ship. ---Missed the extreme heat and HK demonstrations.