Balcony room, bed close to door or balcony? (Will have scooter.)

ksignorini

My mom will be renting a scooter for our cruise in October. They are in a standard balcony room. I've seen that some balcony rooms have the bed close to the balcony and the couch nearer the entrance door--that would be idea for bringing in and parking the scooter. I also see, on NCL's website, that the floorplan is couch near the balcony and bed near the door--not as ideal.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Where were the couch/bed on your cruise?

For that matter, any comments on her getting around by scooter? NCL assures me it's no problem.

39 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Ask the cabin steward to arranged your bed as a hammock.  This will give you enough room for a scooter.  I had this set up on our April 1st cruise.

Can I ask what that means to have it be a Hammock? Do you have a picture or something?

also to the original poster...my mom had this issue before on a cruise and she had rented the scooter on board; it shows up in your state room on day 1. so when she couldn’t get the scooter into the room she talked to her cabin steward and he was able to move it for her whenever she needed. she would just leave it in the hallway right in front of her door  as close as she could and they would come knock on the door to move it when they needed it moved and when she was in For the night they would take it maybe to the elevator lobby or someplace else and then she would call in the morning and he would come bring it to her not super ideal because she had to know a few minutes ahead of time that she wanted to leave but she would like or when she was getting ready to take a shower and then it would be there for herFor the night they would take it maybe to the elevator lobby or someplace else and then she would call in the morning and he would come bring it to her not super ideal because she had to know a few minutes ahead of time that she wanted to leave but she would like or when she was getting ready to take a shower and then it would be there for her

1 hour ago, cruisewithbaby said:

Can I ask what that means to have it be a Hammock? Do you have a picture or something?

I believe that it means to set up the pullman bed and leave the sofa-bed as a sofa. This would give more ground space for the scooter. This could be an option IF the stateroom has a pullman. Without knowing the stateroom number (even if it is Joy), we don't know if there is a pullman in the OP's stateroom. 

....or the hammock was an April Fool's joke. :classic_cool: 

So, OP's back! LOL

Yes to the Joy. I thought I mentioned that, but I had to write the original post twice and must have missed it the second time.

Regarding rooms, they're on Sail Away so we don't know room assignment yet. However, I have my room number but no matter what I do, I can't see the layout anywhere of an actual room by number. Everything on NCL's site is generic from what I can tell (that is, the only layout they show in the plan view drawing is couch by window) but I know from online vids that there are two configurations.

My room is 13128--how could I check, definitively, if my room has couch near balcony or near door?

Not sure how hammock with pullman down/couch up would work. They are counting on a queen size for my parents (maybe I didn't make it clear that it's not just my mom, but both my mom and dad in the room) and using the couch as a couch (although my son will be staying with them, he's little and the couch will most likely work as a bed for him without pulling it out).

Here's the only floor plan link I can find: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-ship/joy/staterooms/Balcony#JOY_Balcony_BD_BF-staterooms-gallery and in fact, the photo shows couch by door but the plan view shows couch by balcony!

2 hours ago, cruisewithbaby said:

also to the original poster...my mom had this issue before on a cruise and she had rented the scooter on board; it shows up in your state room on day 1. so when she couldn’t get the scooter into the room she talked to her cabin steward and he was able to move it for her whenever she needed. she would just leave it in the hallway right in front of her door  as close as she could and they would come knock on the door to move it when they needed it moved and when she was in For the night they would take it maybe to the elevator lobby or someplace else and then she would call in the morning and he would come bring it to her not super ideal because she had to know a few minutes ahead of time that she wanted to leave but she would like or when she was getting ready to take a shower and then it would be there for herFor the night they would take it maybe to the elevator lobby or someplace else and then she would call in the morning and he would come bring it to her not super ideal because she had to know a few minutes ahead of time that she wanted to leave but she would like or when she was getting ready to take a shower and then it would be there for her

So worst case, this might work. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, ksignorini said:

My room is 13128--how could I check, definitively, if my room has couch near balcony or near door?

According to the deck-plan, 13128 is bed near balcony. Since it sleeps 4, the pull-man will be near the closet and above the sofa-bed. This is for all standard balcony/mini-suite staterooms for the BA and BA Plus ships. 

Just now, need2cruisesoon said:

Bliss 13292, bed by balcony, sleeps 4

IMG_2062.jpg

Thanks. No, I realize that some are like this on the Joy... but I also know that some are the other way around. But thanks for posting a real pic!

3 minutes ago, ksignorini said:

How can you know from the deck plan? From what I can tell, all the rooms show the same thing.

For the BA/BA Plus ships, if a standard balcony or mini-suite sleeps 4, the configuration will be as the photo above shows. If it sleeps 3, it can be either as above (but no pull-man) or bed near the closet 

Is the scooter a narrow one? Are you renting it from the ship? As you can see in the pics, the doors are very narrow. However, the doors do open toward the outside so that's a plus because you could store a narrow scooter int he entryway opposite the bathroom. That's where we stored our 3 huge bags the first night, with plenty of space to walk by. 

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For the BA/BA Plus ships, if a standard balcony or mini-suite sleeps 4, the configuration will be as the photo above shows. If it sleeps 3, it can be either as above (but no pull-man) or bed near the closet 

Is there confirmation on this? We were trying to figure out the same information for the Bliss before our cruise. We had a 4 person cabin and it was configured like your photo but I had also heard that the room configurations alternate, one being bed near the closet, the next with the bed by the balcony. If you look at the deck plan, that does not always follow with the 3/4 person indicators.

24 minutes ago, alisonslp said:

We had a 4 person cabin and it was configured like your photo but I had also heard that the room configurations alternate, one being bed near the closet, the next with the bed by the balcony.

For the most part, the configurations alternate. If there are 2 "sleeps 4" staterooms back-to-back, they will both have the same configuration and the pattern will branch out from there. When a HC stateroom is in the mix, the pattern can be broken and start fresh after that point. 

Usually, after a "sleeps 4", there is a "sleeps 3" which will have the opposite configuration. When there are multiple "sleeps 3" all in a row, the configuration will alternate but without pictures, it is impossible to know which "sleeps 3" configuration is which. 

29 minutes ago, alisonslp said:

If you look at the deck plan, that does not always follow with the 3/4 person indicators.

Deck-plans can be correct, incorrect, or incomplete. What doesn't change for the BA/BA Plus class is the configuration for a "sleeps 4" standard balcony or mini-suite. All "sleeps 4" will be bed near balcony. 

• Like 1