Tell me about 5 night cruises.

mek

We are taking a 5 night cruise on Elation next Feb - my husband, son, grandson, and great grandson, who will be 5 1/2 at the time of sailing.  It will be his first cruise and a tie-in with a Disney land vacation.

I already know about no lobster on 5 nighters, but is there anything else different?  Is the Hasbro game show still one of the entertainment options for an evening?  I personally hate that, but he will think it's fun.

Is there any kind of deck party on 5 night cruises?

I know about the Dr. Suess breakfast and he will love that.

I have no idea if he will want to go to Camp Carnival, so that we will just play by ear.  Because it's a short cruise, he might just want to be with us most of the time.

We have never cruised with anyone under 12, so this will be a new experience for us.

Depending on the week, there may be quite a few kids on board, which might make the camp more fun for him.  Usually around President's day spring break starts to ramp up.  If your signature is accurate and this is your first time on Carnival, you will find it's somewhat different than Celebrity but not, in my opinion, terribly different from Royal Caribbean.  I do like the self-serve laundry on Carnival, which could come in handy with a grubby kiddo. 

According to Carnival's website Hasbro the Game Show is on board.  I think all of Elation's itineraries are 5 nights or 4 nights so the schedule should be pretty consistent from sailing to sailing.

There should be a sailaway party on deck and usually at least one other deck party. Carnival's menus in the main dining room are consistent across the fleet but with a little kid you may find the lido buffet to be more convenient most nights.  Also 5 nights may not feel like a short cruise to him!

Towel Animal theatre is  good daytime activity along with all of the Seuss stuff as you mention - parade and storytime, and maybe the character brunch on sea day.

56 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Depending on the week, there may be quite a few kids on board, which might make the camp more fun for him.  Usually around President's day spring break starts to ramp up.  If your signature is accurate and this is your first time on Carnival, you will find it's somewhat different than Celebrity but not, in my opinion, terribly different from Royal Caribbean.  I do like the self-serve laundry on Carnival, which could come in handy with a grubby kiddo. 

According to Carnival's website Hasbro the Game Show is on board.  I think all of Elation's itineraries are 5 nights or 4 nights so the schedule should be pretty consistent from sailing to sailing.

There should be a sailaway party on deck and usually at least one other deck party. Carnival's menus in the main dining room are consistent across the fleet but with a little kid you may find the lido buffet to be more convenient most nights.  Also 5 nights may not feel like a short cruise to him!

Towel Animal theatre is  good daytime activity along with all of the Seuss stuff as you mention - parade and storytime, and maybe the character brunch on sea day.

Thanks for the reply.  No, this isn't my first Carnival cruise - I'm Platinum, but just haven't cruised with them for the past 5 years.

Agree that 5 nights may not seem short to him  and we don't want him to be too tired for Disney - one of the reasons we didn't try to do a 7 night.

Towel Animal theater is a Camp Carnival activity?

11 minutes ago, mek said:

Thanks for the reply.  No, this isn't my first Carnival cruise - I'm Platinum, but just haven't cruised with them for the past 5 years.

Agree that 5 nights may not seem short to him  and we don't want him to be too tired for Disney - one of the reasons we didn't try to do a 7 night.

Towel Animal theater is a Camp Carnival activity?

Kids can go to Towel Animal Theater without going to Camp Carnival. It usually follows the Dr. Seuss parade. My kids usually visit Camp Carnival a bit just to know other kids that they will see around. We look at the camp schedules just to see if anything interests them. By the end of a 5 nighter, they are pretty involved even missing the last dinner to be with friends. 

6 minutes ago, mek said:

Also, is the kids menu always the same in the MDR?

Yes, and it has basically children favorite foods like chicken tenders, simple pasta with butter or tomato sauce, grilled cheese with fries, etc. More or less entrees that can be brought to the table quickly, to forestall hunger pains. But there is no reason that a child could not order off the adult menu if there is something there they like or the parents wish them to try.

Also I've been know to order off children's menu especially on hot days in port when my appetite isn't that great. Try the ice cream sundae for dessert.

As for deck parties and entertainment on 5 day cruise, we sailed the Paradise in Sept '18. I don't remember any speciality "fly-on" acts like the magician, juggler, or hypnotist, just 3 main production themed variety shows and the standards game shows. I don't remember clearly the themed variety shows but I'm fairly sure there was a latin danced theme, a motown music center one, and an 80's mini musical. The comedians also were less just 2 doing the days 2 and 3 and 2 more after the last port but only for the nigh before debarkation. As for deck parties I think they had the Mexican Fiesta on the night we were in Cozumel. The 80's Glo party was done but not as a deck party. It was held in the Atrium on the last night of the cruise.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  He loves to dance, so hope there is a fun deck party one night - we are doing the eastern itinerary.

Edited by mek