European SIM Cards - do they work on a cruise ship?

Freshycat

We're cruising the Baltic Sea on the NCL Getaway this August. Anybody know if Europe SIM cards will work on a cruise ship (e.g., is there any interference in the signal), and whether there's any signal in the Baltic Sea or part of it? I'm planning to get "Orange" SIM cards. 

Just to be clear, I'm not wondering whether it is worth it, as we'll be travelling in Europe for a couple weeks prior to the cruise and will need the SIM cards anyway. I'm just wondering if they'll be any use on board the ship. We're travelling with teenagers (14 and 15) and I'd like to give them independence but also keep in touch. Also, if the SIM cards work, we'll stretch out the flat amount of data a bit longer. 

Thanks for any responses!

Dont know where those spotty connections should be.

Depending on your itinerary you might be close to Finland coast either the day before or after St. Petersburg - or close to Åland islands, Gotland or Bornholm - - definitely nothing to count on!

the SIM card will help with a connection to a LAND site ... so if/when you are close to land you might grab a connection ... if the land system recognizes your SIM

the ship satellite system is a 'closed' system ... the ship controls access ...... unless the ship recognizes your SIM you're blocked . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

Dont know where those spotty connections should be.

Depending on your itinerary you might be close to Finland coast either the day before or after St. Petersburg - or close to Åland islands, Gotland or Bornholm - - definitely nothing to count on!

We're porting in Warnemunde in Germany, Gdynia in Poland, Talinn in Estonia and St. Petersburg. Orange is supposed to work everywhere except St. Petersburg so the cards will be useful in port at least.

I read a thread where somebody said they were sometimes able to pick up a signal at sea. They must have been close-ish to shore when it happened but I wondered if the range was known. 

I do not know about Canada, but T-Mobile in the US has one of the best international packages available.

Unlimited texting and data, 25 cent per minute calling in over 210 countries.  And supports wifi calling.

We have done several trips on cruise ferries in the Baltic. You can get some signal now and then near Sweden, Åland, Finland, Estonia, Germany and Poland but not at open sea.

Edited by Extra Kim

27 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

We have done several trips on cruise ferries in the Baltic. You can get some signal now and then near Sweden, Åland, Finland, Estonia, Germany and Poland but not at open sea.

Thanks, that's handy. We're porting in Germany, Estonia and Poland so I will look for a signal if we are close to shore.