Rome to Civitavecchia - trains reliable?

phoenix1975

I'm on a cruise from Civitavecchia in July and am travelling from the UK by train. I'm trying to decide whether it is best to stay in Rome the previous night (will actually be 2 if I stay here) or Civitavecchia. Are the trains from Rome to Civitavecchia reliable - i.e. they run every day and if for some reason they weren't running, what other options would I have to get to Civitavecchia? 

I don't want to be in the situation of being in Rome and not being able to get to the cruise ship!

10 minutes ago, phoenix1975 said:

I'm on a cruise from Civitavecchia in July and am travelling from the UK by train. I'm trying to decide whether it is best to stay in Rome the previous night (will actually be 2 if I stay here) or Civitavecchia. Are the trains from Rome to Civitavecchia reliable - i.e. they run every day and if for some reason they weren't running, what other options would I have to get to Civitavecchia? 

I don't want to be in the situation of being in Rome and not being able to get to the cruise ship!

Every time I have used that train they have run to schedule.

The risk that springs immediately to mind is that of train strikes, but they don't actually happen that often. Even if one did then you would know about it a while in advance and have time to make alternative arrangements.

If you were really stuck then a taxi will get you there. It would cost €100+, but in my opinion the risk is so low that I would accept it with no hesitation. I would certainly stay in Rome for the two nights and go to Civitavecchia on embarkation day.

One thing I would strongly recommend is going to trenitalia.com to book your train tickets in advance. There are express trains from Termini to Civitavecchia. They cost a little bit more than the local train, but if you prebook them then you will get a reserved seat. It is quicker and the local train could be very uncomfortable if lots of people are heading to port with bags etc.

I recently called NCL on another matter for our Sept. 2020 trip and asked if they offered any transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia.  The agent told me NCL offers a shuttle bus that goes from the airport in Rome directly to the port in Civitavecchia for $60US per person.  She said it takes between 90 and 120 minutes.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

There are express trains from Termini to Civitavecchia. They cost a little bit more than the local train, but if you prebook them then you will get a reserved seat. It is quicker and the local train could be very uncomfortable if lots of people are heading to port with bags etc. 

Yes. My train from Rome was packed beyond the gills from Termini to more than halfway to Civitavecchia. While it may not be worth the extra cost to save a few minutes with the express, I think it is worthwhile to be sure of having a seat.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

One thing I would strongly recommend is going to trenitalia.com to book your train tickets in advance. There are express trains from Termini to Civitavecchia. They cost a little bit more than the local train, but if you prebook them then you will get a reserved seat. It is quicker and the local train could be very uncomfortable if lots of people are heading to port with bags etc.

We are leaving out of Rome in about a month and was looking into buying train tickets in advance.  I would rather pay a little more and be on a non stop train with reserved seats.  Do these tickets need to be validated?  How early should we get to Termini?  Thanks for the help!

14 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

We are leaving out of Rome in about a month and was looking into buying train tickets in advance.  I would rather pay a little more and be on a non stop train with reserved seats.  Do these tickets need to be validated?  How early should we get to Termini?  Thanks for the help!

It's a few years since I used it, but we got a print at home ticket, which didn't need validating. As it is valid on a specific train, that takes away the need to do so.

I would aim to be at Termini a little while in advance, as it is quite a big station and you need to find the correct platform etc. You can board and wait on the train for a while before it leaves, so better not to be rushing at the station.

14 minutes ago, phoenix1975 said:

Thanks for all the advice. How soon will I know when I can board the cruise ship in Civitavecchia and how much time should I allow to get from the train station to the cruise ship (minimum)?

Boarding should start about 11.30-12am, but if you want to get onboard at that time you probably need to get there earlier than that, unless you have priority boarding (i.e. suite or platinum latitudes). If you are boarding the Epic then it may be relatively quiet as most people board in Barcelona.

I would allow up to an hour to get to the cruise terminal. You need to buy a bus ticket, get that bus to the port and then transfer to the port shuttle. If things work out it should take less than that, but you never know.

22 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Boarding should start about 11.30-12am, but if you want to get onboard at that time you probably need to get there earlier than that, unless you have priority boarding (i.e. suite or platinum latitudes). If you are boarding the Epic then it may be relatively quiet as most people board in Barcelona.

I would allow up to an hour to get to the cruise terminal. You need to buy a bus ticket, get that bus to the port and then transfer to the port shuttle. If things work out it should take less than that, but you never know.

22 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

We've left twice from Termini.  Trains leave every hour, we buy our tickets the day before about $5Euros.  Buy a 10 o'clock ticket, get their early, you can take the 9 o'clock train.  Both times our train left from the highest number track, in the 30s, I think, track is all the way to the left.  The trouble is your luggage, you have to get it to the train and watch it. If your train is at the 1st track at Civeticiah (?) you're ok otherwise you have to go down and up stairs with your luggage,  if you're not young or able to do it, it's tough.  No porters to help.  I'm 72, I did it ok, but, it wasn't easy.  I went back to help an older person, but, somebody was already helping.  So somebody would probably help you, if you needed it.  Then a bus is outside the station for a Euro or 2 to take you the port (not far) to a location where the different cruise lines pick you up in a bus (free).  It's cheap and easy, but, a little hard for an older person or couple.

5 minutes ago, daveispar said:

We've left twice from Termini.  Trains leave every hour, we buy our tickets the day before about $5Euros.  Buy a 10 o'clock ticket, get their early, you can take the 9 o'clock train.  Both times our train left from the highest number track, in the 30s, I think, track is all the way to the left.  The trouble is your luggage, you have to get it to the train and watch it. If your train is at the 1st track at Civeticiah (?) you're ok otherwise you have to go down and up stairs with your luggage,  if you're not young or able to do it, it's tough.  No porters to help.  I'm 72, I did it ok, but, it wasn't easy.  I went back to help an older person, but, somebody was already helping.  So somebody would probably help you, if you needed it.  Then a bus is outside the station for a Euro or 2 to take you the port (not far) to a location where the different cruise lines pick you up in a bus (free).  It's cheap and easy, but, a little hard for an older person or couple.

The train that leaves from platform 30 something is the regional train. It is, as you say about €5. My recommendation is to use the Intercity or Frecciabianca, which leave at 9.57 or 11.57 (on current timetables). These trains cost about €12 in comparison, but they have a number of benefits:

You don't have to walk all that way to that platform (and you are correct, it is quite a way).

You get a seat allocated.

The train is quieter and keeping an eye on your luggage is easier.

The journey takes about 48 minutes compared to between an hour and about 1 hour 20 minutes on the regional train.

We use those trains when we take that route. It costs about €6 per person extra each way and I think it is well worth that.

Hi, Keith,

I agree for 5 or 6 Euros, I would take your train, but, that still doesn't eliminate the luggage problem, if you had to carry it up and down those stairs to get under the tracks.  We travel with one relatively large suitcase each and a carry on.  There isn't any way, my wife could have carried her suitcase up and down those stairs.  I carried mine up and waited for her to come up while I went down and got hers.  Watching our luggage the whole time.  The 1st time we had to go up and down the stairs under the tracks.  But, last year we were lucky and our train stopped right next to the station !  That was great and easy !  If you only knew which track you were going to end up on.  Maybe, they do know and you could ask when you buy your ticket !

6 hours ago, daveispar said:

Hi, Keith,

I agree for 5 or 6 Euros, I would take your train, but, that still doesn't eliminate the luggage problem, if you had to carry it up and down those stairs to get under the tracks.  We travel with one relatively large suitcase each and a carry on.  There isn't any way, my wife could have carried her suitcase up and down those stairs.  I carried mine up and waited for her to come up while I went down and got hers.  Watching our luggage the whole time.  The 1st time we had to go up and down the stairs under the tracks.  But, last year we were lucky and our train stopped right next to the station !  That was great and easy !  If you only knew which track you were going to end up on.  Maybe, they do know and you could ask when you buy your ticket !

Absolutely. Carrying the luggage around at Civitavecchia is a potential problem.

It is something which people should take into account when deciding whether to take the train or not. However, the OP has already decided that they are taking the train, so I am just discussing their various choices. I am not aware of any specific train which will guarantee avoiding the stairs.

A word of warning if you are going to take the train from Termini - there are many pick-pockets operating on these trains which run to and from the port of Civitavecchia. 

DON'T leave ANY valuables lying on the seat!

A couple from England were robbed (passports, money, cameras etc) and they were not permitted to board the ship!  Poor people!!😨

We personally witnessed this during our train trip last year and it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. In terms of moving luggage around - this is not a problem for me as I travel by train throughout Europe each summer, it's only this year that I'm combining it with a cruise. I have a rucsac and an Osprey Shuttle holdall which is far easier than trying to move luggage about.