Cancelling Query

First of all I am in the UK.

Unfortunately, it looks like we are going to have to cancel our cruise at very short notice - 31 May 2019!

My husband had to have an emergency op last week (eye) and consultant has advised it’s unwise to travel - it’s not a ‘you must not travel’.  Husband is in pain and will not be able to see out of one eye for several weeks.

It’s extremely unlikely the insurance will pay out - it’s complicated!

I will be ringing RCI tomorrow.  Ahead of that though I wondered if anyone has ever managed to get them to put the money they have paid towards another cruise within a certain time period?

I fully understand we will not get any refund.

Edited by trafford

45 minutes ago, trafford said:

Unfortunately, it looks like we are going to have to cancel our cruise at very short notice - 31 May 2019!

My husband had to have an emergency op last week (eye) and consultant has advised it’s unwise to travel - it’s not a ‘you must not travel’.  Husband is in pain and will not be able to see out of one eye for several weeks.

I will be ringing RCI tomorrow.  Ahead of that though I wondered if anyone has ever managed to get them to put the money they have paid towards another cruise within a certain time period?

Do you have a Cancel For Any Reason Travel Insurance? This is the reason for travel insurance and I pray that you can recoup as much of the money as possible. Also ask the Doctor if flying would cause pressure. When I had an eye surgery I was told not to fly for three weeks and luckily i had no trips planned. 

Its better to err on the side of caution and not travel. What would happen if you are out in the ocean and something happens to your husband's eye. When they did my corneal transplant at the post-op visit the day after they found out that it was not healing and had me return the next day to fix the operation. Was I disappointed? No I  did not mind having to go back and was so grateful that I was not traveling when the next surgery took place. 

I did not travel for a few weeks and did the eye drop regimen. I  feel for your husband as I had another surgery to fix my lazy eye as an adult then a procedure to fix the kerataconus in my right eye.

If my eye doctor said to postpone travel then I would do so! 

1 hour ago, trafford said:

Ask your doctor to say (in writing) that travel is prohibited at the present time.  That should satisfy the insurance.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Ask your doctor to say (in writing) that travel is prohibited at the present time.  That should satisfy the insurance.

This is a great idea Bob! I hope it turns out for the OP!

If the patient is reticent, don't go.  We once had a cruise planned, and hubby needed a pacemaker about 3 weeks prior.  The doctor gave him the "all clear", but in hubby's mind, he was NOT "clear"...he had a miserable time.  Let the patient decide when/if they're ready.

Hopefully, this wasn't "pre-existing" and insurance will cover it....have the doctor say he shouldn't travel.  If not, the money may be "wasted" IF you go....good luck and fast recovery!

If insurance is not an option, then there is no harm in asking RCI if they will apply your down pmt to a later date.   Answer might be no, but you will never know until you ask.  

Good luck.  Hope all goes well.   

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

If insurance is not an option, then there is no harm in asking RCI if they will apply your down pmt to a later date.   Answer might be no, but you will never know until you ask.  

Good luck.  Hope all goes well.   

Les than 2 weeks from cruise, it is not a down payment, it is FULL payment.

On 5/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, cb at sea said:

If the patient is reticent, don't go.  We once had a cruise planned, and hubby needed a pacemaker about 3 weeks prior.  The doctor gave him the "all clear", but in hubby's mind, he was NOT "clear"...he had a miserable time.  Let the patient decide when/if they're ready.

Hopefully, this wasn't "pre-existing" and insurance will cover it....have the doctor say he shouldn't travel.  If not, the money may be "wasted" IF you go....good luck and fast recovery!

Agree 150 %%