Two misdeamanors....

Chapparal

5 hours ago, Husky61 said:

And just how does RCL conduct these background checks?  They don't have access to NCIC, and a ship with 5,000 passengers would not be practical.

Where in the world did you get that information?

Directly from RCI. You can also confirm it through google. See chengkp75's post as well, which references Carnival as the other line currently doing this.

Much as I hate to provide a link to this bottom feeder's website, here is a well known anti-cruise line lawyer who states that both RCI and Carnival run background checks on passengers:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/11/articles/sexual-assault/do-cruise-lines-permit-registered-sexual-offenders-to-cruise/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Much as I hate to provide a link to this bottom feeder's website, here is a well known anti-cruise line lawyer who states that both RCI and Carnival run background checks on passengers:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/11/articles/sexual-assault/do-cruise-lines-permit-registered-sexual-offenders-to-cruise/

Thanks for the info. To be clear, I'm certainly not on any registered sexual offender list, etc. 

Edited by Chapparal

1 hour ago, Chapparal said:

Thanks for the info. To be clear, I'm certainly not on any registered sexual offender list, etc. 

Yeah, and misdemeanors are usually not of interest overseas (unless that misdemeanor is a felony in another country).  The disorderly conduct is no worries, the DUI will cause problems with Canada, but not with Mexico.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yeah, and misdemeanors are usually not of interest overseas (unless that misdemeanor is a felony in another country).  The disorderly conduct is no worries, the DUI will cause problems with Canada, but not with Mexico.

Thanks for the info,

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There are many third party companies that provide a variety of background checks, including criminal background checks.  While these may not have access to NCIC, they can search state and local court records and criminal databases, as well as sex offender databases.  I know that Carnival, at least, does screen all passengers through a sex offender background check.

Cheng,

I am well aware of third party companies that provide background checks.  However, the cost to any cruise line would be astronomical considering the thousands of passengers onboard, plus the time it would take to conduct the check..  Those background companies can only check one state at a time, and most of the states do not allow public access to their databases.  Court records are public records and open to the public, and that is where they get their records.  I was in law enforcement for over 30 years and I don't know of a state that allows any background company to access their criminal database. Quite frankly, I doubt that Carnival conducts a sex offender check on each and every passenger.

The link to the attorney supplies nothing but speculation about how often sex offenders cruise and for what purpose.😃

57 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Canada is the only country that has access to NCIC. No other foreign country is allowed to access NCIC, including Mexico.

7 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Cheng,

I am well aware of third party companies that provide background checks.  However, the cost to any cruise line would be astronomical considering the thousands of passengers onboard, plus the time it would take to conduct the check..  Those background companies can only check one state at a time, and most of the states do not allow public access to their databases.  Court records are public records and open to the public, and that is where they get their records.  I was in law enforcement for over 30 years and I don't know of a state that allows any background company to access their criminal database. Quite frankly, I doubt that Carnival conducts a sex offender check on each and every passenger.

The link to the attorney supplies nothing but speculation about how often sex offenders cruise and for what purpose.😃

Thank you for the info. Do you think it is worthwhile to contact the Mexican Embassy and/or Carnival to try and get a clarification?  Also, do you think they would notify me prior to my cruise if I was for some reason denied boarding? 

Don't the cruise lines submit passengers manifests to CBP? Since they are under the Dept. of Homeland Security I would assume they would have access to any federal database they'd want. This doesn't affect OP's situation. I am just curious since there was mention of background checks.

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

From the article:

"There was no indication that the man was on a sexual offender database at the time of the cruise; shortly after this incident Royal Caribbean starting performing background checks of passengers)."

Given his professional leanings, I would not expect him to claim the cruise line is doing something that they are not.  I can't say what a third party background company provides as services, I haven't used them, I am merely stating that the cruise lines can perform background checks (something you dismissed out of hand), and it comes reputably or not, depending on your view of Walker, that some lines do.  I also don't know the cost of these checks, nor what kinds of deals the cruise lines would get for doing large numbers of them, so I can't say whether it is economically feasible or not.

A search of background company websites at least claim that they can access criminal records at the state, county, and local level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

From the article:

", I am merely stating that the cruise lines can perform background checks (something you dismissed out of hand), and it comes reputably or not, depending on your view of Walker, that some lines do.  I also don't know the cost of these checks, nor what kinds of deals the cruise lines would get for doing large numbers of them, so I can't say whether it is economically feasible or not.

A search of background company websites at least claim that they can access criminal records at the state, county, and local level.

Of course the cruise lines can conduct background checks just like anyone can pay them for a check. But many of those background companies checks are unreliable and have incorrect information in them.  Conduct a check on yourself and see what info you get.  I know what they charge and their fees would be outlandish for  4,000 passengers on a ship. An example would be that the background company charges $45 for a check, (which is extremely low) the cost to the cruise line would be for 4,000 passengers $180,000, and the check would be cursory at best.

I have read many of your posts on this board and recognize your expertise and appreciate what you post.  I have a different expertise than you, and have 30 years of experience behind me.

Again, thanks for what you post.😃😃

53 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Of course the cruise lines can conduct background checks just like anyone can pay them for a check. But many of those background companies checks are unreliable and have incorrect information in them.  Conduct a check on yourself and see what info you get.  I know what they charge and their fees would be outlandish for  4,000 passengers on a ship. An example would be that the background company charges $45 for a check, (which is extremely low) the cost to the cruise line would be for 4,000 passengers $180,000, and the check would be cursory at best.

I have read many of your posts on this board and recognize your expertise and appreciate what you post.  I have a different expertise than you, and have 30 years of experience behind me.

Again, thanks for what you post.😃😃

Just to be sure we are clear with this, if you are suggesting that because of the cost associated to do so that RCI does not perform these checks, you would be incorrect.

By what method or manner or at what cost, I can't say.  But I can say for a fact that they do perform background checks on all passengers on a ship's manifest 30 days from sailing, as I originally posted.  RCI is one of two cruise lines that do this with every itinerary.

If I am misinterpreting your implication then I apologize. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Don't the cruise lines submit passengers manifests to CBP? Since they are under the Dept. of Homeland Security I would assume they would have access to any federal database they'd want. This doesn't affect OP's situation. I am just curious since there was mention of background checks.

The final manifest isn't transmitted to CBP until one hour before the cruise. Any checking they do, with the exception perhaps of checking  to see if anyone is on a terrorist watch list (and I'm not certain about that)  will occur during the cruise, not before the cruise departs. CBP could care less if any other country might not admit a passenger due to a criminal history...that's the responsibility of the other countries to determine, not CBP.  I have seen people taken into custody after the cruise returns to the US,  not before it departs, because during the cruise it was determined they had an outstanding warrant or other criminal issue. CBP could care less if you had a DUI years ago .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chapparal said:

Thank you for the info. Do you think it is worthwhile to contact the Mexican Embassy and/or Carnival to try and get a clarification?  Also, do you think they would notify me prior to my cruise if I was for some reason denied boarding? 

I would contact the Mexican Embassy BEFORE BOOKING to get confirmation on whether you're allowed to enter the country (I'm inclined to say it wouldn't be a problem at all).  

If you were denied boarding at the last minute, most cruise contracts simply state that you're responsible for all documentation necessary to enter any country on the itinerary -- they're not responsible for making sure you're eligible, and they're not responsible for refunding your money if you're refused boarding.  (Plenty of sob stories about people who didn't have proof of citizenship, passport, visa, etc., and being denied boarding with no refund.)  

Get something in writing (email) from the Mexican Embassy, then book your cruise with confidence.

• Like 1