Disembarkation night dress code

Windsurfboy

No, cases can be put out after dinner.

Last cruise we had a formal night on our last night (It's happening again this year).

We went back to the cabin after dinner and the show to pack our formal clothes and finished the evening in the Golden Lion.

15 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Do Cunard relax jacket rule on disembarkation night. As I would want to have packed my clothes before dinner.

No relaxation on Cunard for evening attire, as packed suitcases cases can be put out up to 24.00 hours, and unofficially later.  

However, there is always the Buffets, but been given to understand on the last night, the buffets are somewhat busy with guests not wishing to dine formally, whatever the reason may be.

• Like 2

Thanks I avoid buffet like the plague , not giving up QG for the canteen. Wi

4 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

No relaxation on Cunard for evening attire, as packed suitcases cases can be put out up to 24.00 hours, and unofficially later.  

However, there is always the Buffets, but been given to understand on the last night, the buffets are somewhat busy with guests not wishing to dine formally, whatever the reason may be.

ll just hope I get in before midnight and my suitcase turns into a pumpkin

One additional note to add is that on the QM2 crossings I have been on, the theatre show on the last evening for second sitting has been scheduled before dinner at 7:00pm rather than 10:30pm. So for those on second sitting in Britannia (or those who prefer to dine later in the Grills), that allows plenty of time after dinner to finish packing their dinner clothes and have their suit cases out before midnight without missing the show.

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Thanks Hattie ,  impossible to find answer to this simple question on Cunard faq

The evening before disembarkation for you is not necessarily disembarkation for other guests . 

You'll have to manage this on the day. 

• Like 1

Cunard do sometimes relax the jacket rule, check your cruise personaliser and see what it says for that night. Ours states the below message for Queen Elizabeth to Alaska.

BRITANNIA RESTDining Time: 18:00Dress Code: Smart Attire - Jacket Optional

Monday
10 View your itinerary day by day with the calendar

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Yep, always adhered to the 'Unofficial' later programme.

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Cunard do sometimes relax the jacket rule, check your cruise personaliser and see what it says for that night. Ours states the below message for Queen Elizabeth to Alaska.

BRITANNIA REST Dining Time: 18:00 Dress Code: Smart Attire - Jacket Optional

I wonder if this is something new for the QE Alaska itineraries. I know Cunard used to specify "Jacket Optional" on embarkation day for their QV Mediterranean fly cruises. This is this first time I've seen this mentioned on other types of cruises (and on the last evening rather than embarkation day). Are others seeing "Jacket Optional" on other itineraries? Not seeing it on our upcoming QM2 crossings, but I can see why they might do that on itineraries such as the QE Alaska itineraries where the last day is not a sea day.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

BRITANNIA RESTDining Time: 18:00Dress Code: Smart Attire - Jacket Optional

Monday
10 View your itinerary day by day with the calendar

Is that for the last evening ?

• Like 1

Of course I will follow the dress code. It is a little bit of an inconvenience for me but not as bad as for the crew , it necessitates a late night for the crew, who will also have an early and hard day ahead of them preparing for new passengers. 

Personally I think if everyone's going to this trouble / inconvenience then let's at least make the last night a special grand ball, an end of term , GALA night.

But I'm one of the people who'd like every sea night to be a GALA night.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

On my VP for the 10 June cruise it is for the first night.  The dress code for the non-gala nights has been "relaxed" a lot in the past decade or so. It should not be a problem for most people.

9 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

So am I. I well remember the days before the ship had to tell people what night was what. It was so simple, at least in First Class or on a one-class cruise: it was formal every night except the first, last, when in port and, on voyages longer than an Atlantic crossing, Sundays.

I have never gone to dinner on a Cunard ship without a minimum of jacket and tie and I won't start now. As I mentioned before, there are only two gala nights on these 10-night Alaska cruises. One of our friends and I will create a third on a sea day even if we are the only ones. Cunard suggested that is something we can do if we are not happy with the lack of gala nights.

9 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

On my VP for the 10 June cruise it is for the first night.  ...

Ah, thanks for that. I guess I misinterpreted yorkshirephil's post about "Jacket Optional" as being for the last evening. So it looks like the QE Alaska itineraries are being treated like the QV Mediterannean fly cruises were then.

14 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Of course I will follow the dress code. It is a little bit of an inconvenience for me but not as bad as for the crew , it necessitates a late night for the crew, who will also have an early and hard day ahead of them preparing for new passengers. 

I believe it would far more of an "inconvenience" for the crew if they were required to gather the thousands of suitcases earlier in the day or evening when the passengers are roaming the hallways.  This is part of their job and they are very efficient at doing it.

5 minutes ago, BobBranst said:

I believe it would far more of an "inconvenience" for the crew if they were required to gather the thousands of suitcases earlier in the day or evening when the passengers are roaming the hallways.  This is part of their job and they are very efficient at doing it.

In my experience, they seem to do a sweep before dinner, when there aren't too many passengers about. I've no doubt they are glad to get as many cases as they can out of the way at this stage.

It would be great if every sea night was formal and made a special occasion. I also think formal nights would appeal to a significant subset of younger people who enjoy a "party" and like to go as a to impress.

On the other hand perhaps port night could different, a very smart casual. Not the ubiquitous  ,golf club attire of polo shirt and chinos as on many lines and certainly  not scruffy and looking as if you were going to the supermarket. Looking as if you'd made an effort but less prescriptive than a jacket. The trouble is that this is hard to define and police,  whereas the smart attire jacket rule is easy to police. 

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

It is for the last evening, it is also the same on the first evening. Not sure whether it is a sign of things to come or just for Alaska?

We only have 2 formal nights out of 10 nights too, which is unusual.

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is for the last evening, it is also the same on the first evening. Not sure whether it is a sign of things to come or just for Alaska?

We only have 2 formal nights out of 10 nights too, which is unusual.

Ah, thanks for that. So I didn't misinterpret your post after all. I'll be interested to see if this is indeed a sign of things to come or just for Alaska.

19 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It would be great if every sea night was formal and made a special occasion. I also think formal nights would appeal to a significant subset of younger people who enjoy a "party" and like to go as a to impress.

On the other hand perhaps port night could different, a very smart casual. Not the ubiquitous  ,golf club attire of polo shirt and chinos as on many lines and certainly  not scruffy and looking as if you were going to the supermarket. Looking as if you'd made an effort but less prescriptive than a jacket. The trouble is that this is hard to define and police,  whereas the smart attire jacket rule is easy to police. 

I never look scruffy when I go to the supermarket, and always wear a jacket. Otherwise it feel so cold by the freezer counters.😀

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Personally I think if everyone's going to this trouble / inconvenience then let's at least make the last night a special grand ball, an end of term , GALA night.

I wouldn't worry about it being an inconvenience for the crew, ie your stateroom steward/ess.  Those responsible for  the collection  of the luggage are those who are  rostered for working throughout the night  ( usually 6pm -6am )  

I usually go back to my cabin and change into my "going home" clothes after the show.  This has the advantage of making sure I have everything I need for the following day before I put my case out.