Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 21

Pictures taken between Monday, May 20 and Sunday, May 26.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

From a visit to a tourist oriented sheep farm near Sydney this week

One of the dogs addresses the visitors 😉

RX014242.thumb.JPG.7d66dbda7cb97f16cb780a21cc11682b.JPG

Shearing demo - before ...

RX014272.thumb.JPG.4c087e6eaabd9b4adfb13548e2a81e4f.JPG

... and after  (This was someone's pet sheep so extra care was taken in the process)

RX014296.thumb.JPG.5b88a8551f52b9e1c8c6188c24192bce.JPG

This one looked rather impressive

RX014256.thumb.JPG.49f8e0113013eff6644d28981284c479.JPG

Can't quite reach that itch ...

RX014239.thumb.JPG.3521e3b8d3f89a206e749d9f4850d8b8.JPG

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

Flowers. Pretty flowers, but really just a picture of flowers. Society Garlic or tulbaghia violacea to be specific. Once again the back yard provided me with a reasonably attractive Picture-A-Week filler for a slow week in photography. This week’s spare time was consumed with processing photos from our cruise, a drive into Los Angeles for our Global Entry interview and some reorganization in the garage prepping for a return to the remodeling assault on the kitchen. Saturday was consumed with designing and assembling a cabinet carcass for said kitchen and some much-needed grocery shopping. Sunday was John Wick 3 and smoked tri-tip dinner with the kids. So... Flowers this week.

Slow Week

p3437089127-5.jpg

Dave

Down under birds are such a colorful treat!  We have some colorful birds, but not quite to the lorikeet's display.  Here are some of Saturday's Florida wetlands shots:

Black-necked stilt circling around and calling out loudly:

original.jpg

And this is why...she was making sure no predators made any moves on her adorable chicks:

original.jpg

Some examples of our birds of color - the bold pink roseate spoonbill:

original.jpg

I also spend time on wetlands days in my swimming pool - after walking around in mid-90 degree super-humid swamps, you need to cool off, so I hit the pool and bring the camera out there to photograph some of the backyard birds while in my pool:

Here's a cardinal visiting my hibiscus tree:

original.jpg

And a blue jay, visiting the same tree:

original.jpg

The grackle is just a black bird, but in the sun he qualifies as 'colorful' because of the iridescence of his feathers:

original.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pierces said:

This week’s spare time was consumed with processing photos from our cruise, a drive into Los Angeles for our Global Entry interview and some reorganization in the garage prepping for a return to the remodeling assault on the kitchen.

Dave

Spare time? What is this "spare time" you speak of? I work full time, take 3-6 credit hours in grad school (May 2020!) and try to work out (really, ice skate) twice a week.  I'd like some "spare time". 

42 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Spare time? What is this "spare time" you speak of? I work full time, take 3-6 credit hours in grad school (May 2020!) and try to work out (really, ice skate) twice a week.  I'd like some "spare time". 

Spare time is the euphemism i use for what's left over after 50 to 55 hours of work, remodeling our 70 year old suburban home and reading any and all news about science and tech (work-related hobby/lifelong passion.). That "spare" time is spent pursuing my lifelong passion for photography and a 30 year passion for travel. The photography started when I was ten and the travel passion started in the late '80s when I called about an RV we were considering to use in the much smaller volume of "spare" time that a longer work week afforded me at the time. The owner explained the great price was because she just wanted to be rid of it. Her husband had worked overtime and without a vacation or day off towards retirement all his life, retired, bought the RV and a boat, then dropped dead three weeks later. I thanked her, hung up and told my wife were were going to take more time out of our life span to actually live. I work hard but I no longer live to work. I call it spare time but it is really time i have purposely allocated to spend with my wife, family and friends to enjoy life. Sometimes a week comes up a little short, but I don't let it become a habit. 

🙂

Dave

• Like 1

I joke about it and usually feel far behind in school work, but I usually take Friday evenings after work and most of Saturday off. Only when I'm up against the wall do I do school-related stuff on Fridays (usually because it's one of those respond-every-day kind of assignments).  My skating is my "spare time". It's hard to think about anything else when you're balancing on 1/8" knives. 

In other words, I'm busy as he**, but I make time for myself to live. In spite of work and school (leading to a lateral change in career), I LIVE.  And I love to hear that others do too.

PS--I live vicariously through all the photos on this board.

I feel for you. We are also retired, I do volunteer work at a couple of places, honey do lists and at times it seems like I'm busier now then when I was working for a living. Enjoy life while you can, like they say drink the good wine first and use the good dishes, what are you saving them for?  

Been away a bit the past two months...All of April on a 28 Day cruise to the South Pacific..I'm still sorting through all those photos.

Last weekend we drove up to St.Louis to catch a ball game.

Saturday May 25th 2019.

Catchers interference... Tyler Flowers (Atlanta) catching...Paul Goldschmidt (St. Louis) batting.

Goldschmidt would eventually come around and score the Cardinals first run.

RX402556.thumb.jpg.e690a16043ee1a06a9e4ef23dca54de5.jpg

Sunday May 26th.

In my opinion two of the best Catchers in Baseball today. Yadier Molina #4 (Cardinals) and Brian McCann #16 (Atlanta)

RX402713.thumb.jpg.3fe8477710c95f394b170cf155473de4.jpg

I finally captured a play at the plate.

Marcell Ozuna #23 (Cardinals) scoring. Brian McCann (Atlanta) catching. Fan Favorite Yadier Molina (Cardinals) in the background.

RX402720.thumb.jpg.5c111990d155c98d59e2298492ba3dda.jpg

Next weekend a trip to Great American Ballpark to see the Cincinnati Reds vs the Washington Nationals.

BTW Sony RX10M4. 

Mark

Edited by WYTinman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some really good shots folks!

Another couple from a trip to Palm Desert, CA:

A9%20Westin%205-2021-19-24.jpg

Hummingbird getting a drink from a water feature

A9%20Westin%205-2021-19-60.jpg

Momma feeding a juvenile (i'm guessing Brewer's Blackbirds)

A9%20Westin%205-2021-19-99.jpg

And a Common Raven (not so common for this East Coast Guy).

• Like 1