Any Canadians Use the Prepaid CIBC Travel Visa??

It looks like you can load up to 10 currencies on to the card.  I have  travel companions who is nervous about using their credit card on the Baltic cruise. Looks like the prepaid Visa might be a great option.  No fees and you can use it in any of the countries you have loaded and it will automatically convert to that country's currency.  Anyone used it?  Any downsides?  Thanks.

I've never used a pre-paid debit card, but I'm aware of one downside.

They're mainly not accepted by cruise lines for setting up  your on-board account, for car rentals, some hotels. and any other vendor that needs an undefined sum to be guaranteed - known to banks & merchants as a "hold"

For instance, car rental agencies reserve funds on your credit or debit card, against damage, traffic fines, road tolls etc. Those funds aren't taken so they won't appear on your card statements,, they're merely set aside in case they need to charge for something subsequently. When the car is returned & they're happy, they release that "hold".

It's not possible to place a "hold" on (most? all?) pre-paid cards, they take the money or they don't. 

Hence not usually accepted in those examples, but of course not a problem paying for purchases from a shop or restaurant.

JB  :classic_smile:  

The only Baltic currency is Euros so I cant see it working in Russia, Sweden ,  Denmark, Poland, or Norway.

They have your money up front so you are giving them an interest free loan.- not an issue for small amounts..

Stick with a credit card.  

• 1 month later...

The CIBC Canadian VISA prepaid travel cards are NOT many currencies for 1 card.  There are separate cards for US dollars, Mexican pesos, Euros and British Pounds.  4 different cards for 4 different currencies.

I have the US dollar card and find it quite handy.....except for hotels and some gas stations.

Considering there is a fee ($7.00 ) to get each card, I’ve decided to use my regular CIBC Canadian credit card and pay the extra 2.5 % in fees (over the normal exchange rate), as we probably won’t be shopping much where we will want the foreign cash....especially since many of the Northern European countries seem to prefer credit/debit cards.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, Earl Rosebery said:

The only Baltic currency is Euros so I cant see it working in Russia, Sweden ,  Denmark, Poland, or Norway.

They have your money up front so you are giving them an interest free loan.- not an issue for small amounts..

Stick with a credit card.  

several Baltic countries don't use the Euro

Russia-Rubles

Sweden-Krone

Denmark-Krone[but not same as Swedish Krone]

Estonia-Kuna

and if you include UK pounds 

2 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

several Baltic countries don't use the Euro

Estonia-Kuna

A while since you've visited Estonia (Tallinn), Fab&40+ ?

It's been the euro for quite a few years now :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile: