Coffee Card: Two at a time?

Barry H

We will be on a long Medallion Cruise and want to buy more than one Coffee Package. However can only purchase one on the cruise personalizer.

Do I have to wait and purchase the second onboard?

We get a bar set-up  and turn it in for coffee package. 

If we buy coffee package from home and then exchange bar set up for coffee, will we have both packages credited on our account?

Comments, please.

Buy one, trade for one = 2.

Keep in mind that at the end of the cruise, your coffee vanishes.

If it's a short cruise (7 days or less) and you're a moderate coffee drinker, you might want to just have one. Maybe trade in the mini-bar and if you need more later on, calculate whether a second card makes sense $$wise or would it be cheaper just to buy coffee as you go.

If you decide to go with one, you can share the specialty coffees and be judicious about the "free" coffee, tea, hot chocolate.

Not sure we understand the OP's issue.  If you are Elite (and get a free mini-bar set-up) you can trade it for 2 Coffee Cards (which are now loaded onto your cruise card (or Medallion).  To trade you simply call room service (we try to reach them on embarkation day) and they will send somebody to your cabin to take all the items from your mini-bar and have the coffee cards added to your onboard account.  Not sure there is a good reason to also buy a coffee package prior to the cruise unless you want three packages.  Keep in mind that you can always buy more coffee card packages onboard at any bar or Guest Relations.

Hank

1 hour ago, Barry H said:

We will be on a long Medallion Cruise and want to buy more than one Coffee Package. However can only purchase one on the cruise personalizer.

Do I have to wait and purchase the second onboard?

We get a bar set-up  and turn it in for coffee package. 

If we buy coffee package from home and then exchange bar set up for coffee, will we have both packages credited on our account?

Comments, please.

Purchase question:

I looked at my cruise personlizer and the option for both of us to purchase the package is there. Are you trying to buy two packages, for one person? If that is the case then you would have to wait until you are on board to buy the 2nd one.

Assume you are Elite or in a full suite. If you trade your entire mini bar you can request two coffee packages. It's normal for a couple to each receive one on their account, but if you want both packages on one account, 30 specialty coffees, then just inform room service when you call.

If you are on a b2b remember that the free brewed coffee expires at the end of each leg. In that case you might want to delay the purchase of the 2nd package.

6 minutes ago, skynight said:

Purchase question:

I looked at my cruise personlizer and the option for both of us to purchase the package is there. Are you trying to buy two packages, for one person? If that is the case then you would have to wait until you are on board to buy the 2nd one.

Assume you are Elite or in a full suite. If you trade your entire mini bar you can request two coffee packages. It's normal for a couple to each receive one on their account, but if you want both packages on one account, 30 specialty coffees, then just inform room service when you call.

If you are on a b2b remember that the free brewed coffee expires at the end of each leg. In that case you might want to delay the purchase of the 2nd package.

But if they are on a b2b and have a mini bar they will get a 2nd mini bar for the 2nd leg so no need to purchase anything just do the trade ins

Coffee card issue is the longer cruises. Elite's get one bar set up for 28 day cruise plus. Coffee card is 15 specialty coffees only!

I am worried if I buy one from home and call room service to exchange the bar, room service will see a coffee package exists and will not credit my account for the second package.

I think the package will be more expensive if bought on the ship.

Buying the card from home in Canadian dollars is cheaper than buying it onboard in US dollars due to the exchange rate of 1.30.

Heather

Edited by Barry H

1 hour ago, Barry H said:

Coffee card issue is the longer cruises. Elite's get one bar set up for 28 day cruise plus. Coffee card is 15 specialty coffees only! I am worried if I buy one from home and call room service to exchange the bar, room service will see a coffee package exists and will not credit my account for the second package.

I think the package will be more expensive if bought on the ship. Buying the card from home in Canadian dollars is cheaper than buying it onboard in US dollars due to the exchange rate of 1.30.

You may not find anyone who knows for sure the answer to your worry above.  I doubt it will be a problem, but if it is, I am sure passenger services can straighten it out.  Just keep a copy of your purchase.

That said, I would not pre-purchase the package:

• The price in $US is the same whether you purchase in advance or aboard ship.
  • Any savings on the exchange rate will be minimal on such a small purchase. Plus, if you buy more cards than you need, they will go to waste.
  • You will get two "coffee cards" when you exchange your elite mini bar. If that turns out not to be enough, you can always purchase another one on board after the first two run out.  If you run out near the end of the cruise, you may decide it is a better deal to just purchase specialty coffees on the last few days.  In any case, the complimentary brewed coffees will last for the entire 28 days.
Edited by Jersey42

2 hours ago, Barry H said:

Coffee card issue is the longer cruises. Elite's get one bar set up for 28 day cruise plus. Coffee card is 15 specialty coffees only!

I am worried if I buy one from home and call room service to exchange the bar, room service will see a coffee package exists and will not credit my account for the second package.

I think the package will be more expensive if bought on the ship.

Buying the card from home in Canadian dollars is cheaper than buying it onboard in US dollars due to the exchange rate of 1.30.

Heather

Most 28  day cruises are going to be 2 or more segments.  Although many of us book these longer cruises as a single booking number they have (previously) refreshed the mini-bar at the beginning of each segment.  In theory I would assume you could still call Room Service and change the mini-bar for coffee cards at the beginning of each segment.  On the other hand, who knows what the policy is today or tomorrow and if it will change again next week and then next month.  

Hank

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Buy one, trade for one = 2.

Keep in mind that at the end of the cruise, your coffee vanishes.

If it's a short cruise (7 days or less) and you're a moderate coffee drinker, you might want to just have one. Maybe trade in the mini-bar and if you need more later on, calculate whether a second card makes sense $$wise or would it be cheaper just to buy coffee as you go.

If you decide to go with one, you can share the specialty coffees and be judicious about the "free" coffee, tea, hot chocolate.

Thanks to all posters for feedback.

The cruise is 28 days Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti with no segments.

Will exchange our bar set up and only buy an additional card, if needed. We will grin and bear not having that aha Cappuccino the first morning at sea if the coffee card is not activated. Small inconvenience.

Heather

7 minutes ago, Barry H said:

Thanks to all posters for feedback.

The cruise is 28 days Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti with no segments.

Will exchange our bar set up and only buy an additional card, if needed. We will grin and bear not having that aha Cappuccino the first morning at sea if the coffee card is not activated. Small inconvenience.

Heather

You can always get a brewed coffee & a Cappuccino at the same time but the card has to be in your name.