Transfer City Center to Civitvecchia ?

cowboygene

This past December we stayed in a hotel in Rome city center.  To get to the port we used a company called NCC Airport.  They do transfers between the city, Rome's airport and the cruise port.  We used their shared shuttle. (they also have private transfers)

The shared shuttle was 70 euros for both of us.  This was the fee for a transfer from any hotel in the city center to the port.

They were great.  On time, in a nice comfortable van.  They had emailed me the day before to confirm the time, sent a photo of our driver and told us what type of vehicle to expect.  The driver was great.

We shared the ride with two other people who had been picked up prior to us.  They were going on the same cruise as us.

We each had a large case and a carry on case.  There was lots of room for both passengers and luggage.

It was nice to be picked up right at the front door of the hotel and dropped off right at the door to the cruise terminal. Totslly stress free.  

Oh, I forgot -  you have the option of paying online before the trip, in cash to the driver, or by credit card to the driver.  We paid credit card to the driver.

Edited by Daisyloo

The train is the best option on the way back.

When I went, we booked a car to take us to the Trevi fountain, then went to the Vatican to see the Pope, museums, and stuff, then just walked a couple of block behind the museum to the train.

It's super clean and quick.  Someone here should tell you how to get back to your ship from the Civ station.  I wasn't paying attention, and ended up walking back to the ship from the train station, which a realllllllyyyyy long walk that you don't want to do.

I think that there is a shuttle from the train station into the port, that's a couple of bucks.

If you take any of the regional trains from Rome to Civitavecchia you can get on the train at Termini (the main station, S. Pietro, or any of several other Rome train stations.  Since the train originates at Termini that is the best bet to get seats if you are traveling around rush hour.

Once in Civitavecchia you will need to take the shuttle bus (which boards just across the street from the main entrance/exit of the station) to the Largo Della Pace transfer point.  The last time we took this shuttle bus it cost 2  Euros and you had to buy tickets at the coffee shop in the station (not sure if this has changed).  It is a short shuttle ride (about 1 mile) to Largo della Pace where you will need to grab you luggage and get on the free port bus designated for your ship.  The system works well, but does take some time.

An alternative to all of this is to take a private transfer from your Rome hotel directly to the port.  This will cost about 120 Euros but is sure convenient.  If you want a private shuttle we recommend RomeCabs.com.  There are a few other good private transfer companies (like Romeinlimo) or you could just use a regular taxi (but make sure you know the fare before you get in the taxi).

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:30 AM, Hlitner said:

If you take any of the regional trains from Rome to Civitavecchia you can get on the train at Termini (the main station, S. Pietro, or any of several other Rome train stations.  Since the train originates at Termini that is the best bet to get seats if you are traveling around rush hour.

Once in Civitavecchia you will need to take the shuttle bus (which boards just across the street from the main entrance/exit of the station) to the Largo Della Pace transfer point.  The last time we took this shuttle bus it cost 2  Euros and you had to buy tickets at the coffee shop in the station (not sure if this has changed).  It is a short shuttle ride (about 1 mile) to Largo della Pace where you will need to grab you luggage and get on the free port bus designated for your ship.  The system works well, but does take some time.

An alternative to all of this is to take a private transfer from your Rome hotel directly to the port.  This will cost about 120 Euros but is sure convenient.  If you want a private shuttle we recommend RomeCabs.com.  There are a few other good private transfer companies (like Romeinlimo) or you could just use a regular taxi (but make sure you know the fare before you get in the taxi).

Hank

I need help going the opposite way.  From Cavi to Rome.  I also need suggestions for a hotel in Rome.  Could you help us?  Thanks

Can anyone tell me the price of an individual taxi transfer (2 people + luggage) from Civitavecchia to a hotel in Rome?  We will be arriving on a Saturday in late October.

Can we just pick up a taxi at the port, or is it best to have a transfer pre booked? 

On 5/26/2019 at 10:13 AM, nicksmom67 said:

I need help going the opposite way.  From Cavi to Rome.  I also need suggestions for a hotel in Rome.  Could you help us?  Thanks

Am cruising but will be home tomorrow.  Then we can give you lots of help:)

Hank

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, nicksmom67 said:

Am home now.  Did you find the info you need or do you have additional questions :).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Am home now.  Did you find the info you need or do you have additional questions :).

Hank

Hi.  thanks for helping.  I have hotel Smeraldo booked for 2 nights but I am open to other suggestions if you feel it is not in a good spot.  Looking for recommendations for tours.  My husband wants to go the Vatican and Basilica Square.  My husband has balance issues.  I found some  guided excursions on Viator where you take a golf cart instead of walking a lot and I think that will be good for him.  Also best ways to get from the port to the hotel in Rome and also from the hotel to the airport.  We live in Florida and I am also looking for suggestions on the best time to look for flights back to Florida.  Now seems to early.    I know its a lot of information I am looking for and I appreciate your offer to help me.  It is our first time in Rome and we are there for two nights.  May 4th and 5th 2020.  thank you

1 hour ago, nicksmom67 said:

Hi.  thanks for helping.  I have hotel Smeraldo booked for 2 nights but I am open to other suggestions if you feel it is not in a good spot.  Looking for recommendations for tours.  My husband wants to go the Vatican and Basilica Square.  My husband has balance issues.  I found some  guided excursions on Viator where you take a golf cart instead of walking a lot and I think that will be good for him.  Also best ways to get from the port to the hotel in Rome and also from the hotel to the airport.  We live in Florida and I am also looking for suggestions on the best time to look for flights back to Florida.  Now seems to early.    I know its a lot of information I am looking for and I appreciate your offer to help me.  It is our first time in Rome and we are there for two nights.  May 4th and 5th 2020.  thank you

I am not familiar with your hotel so will have to leave that advice for others.  But I do like the location since it is only a few blocks from the Campo de Fiori.  If your DH can manage (safety) with some kind of walking assistance device (such as a cane) you can certainly have some fun walking in that neighborhood.  You are probably aware that Viator is simply a booking service (they do not actually operate tours) that books with local providers.  Many love the convenience of Viator although our own preference would be to deal directly with the local providers.  But that golf cart idea sounds great.   As to the great mystery of the best time to book flights you really do need a Crystal Ball.   You should repost your air question here on CC under the "Cruise Discussion Topics,"  "Cruise Air" blog.  There are some experts on that blog that really have a great feel for the airline industry.   Certainly check with your cruise line to see if they have some special pricing on air.  Our own experience has been very positive with some lines  when looking for European air fares...especially Business Class.

Since your DH has balance issues we are thinking that using a train transfer from the port to Rome is not a good idea.  Keep in mind that when using trains you have to negotiate long walks, steps, and handle your own luggage.  In your case we will again strongly recommend RomeCabs.com (you can look at their web site and pricing) or one of the other reputable transfer companies (Romeinlimo is another popular company here on CC).  These companies will meet you at the port (usually they will have a sign with your name), take care of your luggage and get you door to door.  You might consider posting on the Cruise Critic Roll Call (this is specific to your cruise) to look for 1 or 2 other couples who might want to share your transfer.  When dealing with companies like RomeCabs or Romeinlimo they can even deal with dropping passengers at different hotels although they prefer hotels that are relatively convenient to each other.  

You do have lots of time for planning.  Keep an open mind, read lots of comments and reviews and then make or alter your decisions.  Unless you committed to a non-refundable deposit you have plenty of time to change hotels, find the best transfer company, etc.  You cannot even book air until 330 days prior to the flight and many would say that you have plenty of time beyond that 330 day limit...to make your decision.

Hank