Attire. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Budget Queen

Just a suggestion. ย  ย I just got off the Bliss yesterday. ย  I observed a LOT of very wrong assumptions with attire. ย You WILL need a range. ย But you need more than t shirts and sandals. ย And leave the winter boots at home. ย  ย This is a factor that can ruin a trip here. ย  ย  ย  ย 

ย 

Additionally. ย I saw a lot of wildlife so be certain to bring binoculars. ย  ย Most people did not.ย  ย Iโ€™m jumping on the Jewel today and staying on for extra trips. ย  Alaska is in over supply with huge price dumps. ย  Perhaps consider taking advantage!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

People actually thought they needed only tee-shirts and sandals?ย 

ย 

Yes that not hyperbole.ย  I've seen them, too.ย  Usually only once, then they retreat to warmer indoor spaces and are never seen again.ย 

We are on the Jewel, tentatively, Sept 2020.ย  We had thought about winter boots, from the northeast.ย  So we would be good with just some decent insulated hiking boots?ย  Even out on deck and balcony?ย  That would save on considerable weight.

• Like 1

A big part depends on your excursions as well as the ship.

Ovation is possible while on board to wear a short sleeve shirt and be comfortable IF you don't go out on a balcony or upper decks that are outside.

I was wearing a heavy down coat on my balcony at 630 this morning on the way into Dawes glacier.

ย 

On deck at 10 it was in the 50's with very little wind.

Yesterday tour to Yukon from Skagway we were all layering down as it was hot. Way home storm clouds and cool.

ย Just bring layers and waterproof rain coat.

ย 

Walked almost a mile back to the ship in the rain in ISP. Was sunny and comfortable when I left in the morning.

Listen to BQ.

A

ย 

I was thrilled that I had waterproof hiking boots and my winter boots.ย  But my definition of winter boots and yours are probably different.ย  I live in Houston.ย  Alaska felt like the dead of winter to me at 50 degrees and rainy!ย  That's exactly what a Houston winter day feels like.ย  I wore my cute, zip up leather boots with leggings to dinner several times.

• Like 1

What is funny, right now it is colder in the Los Angeles area than it is in Skagway (last I checked tonight) and we have on sweats, socks and have our fireplace and heater running. Not the norm, but it has us ready for Sunday ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  I plan on wearing my bearpaw boots onto the boat so I do not have to pack them. Once my toes are cold, game over, so if I am wearing them now, I am not worried but do have all seasons packed ready to go. hahaha

17 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Just a quick temperature note.ย  The high temperature today in Las Vegas was 64.ย  The high temperature today in Fairbanks was 68.

ย 

But what was the "feels like X" temperature when on a small tour boat near a glacier?ย 

• Like 1

Prepare to bundle when viewing a glacier from a small boat.ย  We like to be up front of the boat when approaching a glacier and it is COLD and sometimes windy so make sure you're warm so you can enjoy the view --- that's why we say layer in Alaska.

ย 

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last week...

ย 

Day 1 - Vancouver - very warm - tshirt was perfect

Day 2 - Inside Passage - cooler, but sunny, but we needed our coats to walk on the promenade and we both had our lightweight gloves to keep the chill off our hands and we're Atlantic Canadians!

Day 3 - Juneau - much like Vancouver, we saw people wearing t-shirts and shorts, a light jacket or sweater was probably too much for the afternoon but we needed them in the evening even though the sun was out.ย  We did an excursion to Mendenhall Glacier in the afternoon and it was very comfortable - an average sweater was probably enough.ย  In the evening we took the Mount Roberts Tramway and while the sun was out and it was still comfortable, it was cooler at the top of the mountain.

Day 4 - Skagway - not as warm as Juneau but sunny and comfortable - we did an excursion to the Yukon - it was a very comfortable day throughout - lightweight jacket - gloves were not needed, windy in some areas, still in others.

Day 5 - Glacier Bay - 2 degrees Celsius in the morning, overcast, fog, raining - I was frozen out on the bow with the heaviest clotes I had including gloves and a toque but we enjoyed every minute!ย  It warmed up a bit as the day went on and we exited GBNP.ย  I actually wished I had long-johns on to keep the chill off my legs and I was wearing heavier jeans.

Day 6 - Ketchikan - comfortable but light rain/heavy mist for most of the day - we didn't need gloves but an umbrella and light rain jacket was useful.

Day 7 - basically the same as Day 2 if outside on the promenade

Day 8 - Vancouver - warm again....like day 1

ย 

My best piece of advice for an Alaskan cruise - bring binoculars!ย  we brought a small pair each and we had them with us the majority of the time when we were outside on the ship or in port.

ย 

I wore sneakers (with waterproof spray coating) most of the cruise except during the Gala nights and they were more than adequate - with thick socks for Glacier Bay!ย 

ย 

This was our first cruise to Alaska and we loved it!ย 

Edited by RoyalVisit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, snplw said:

We are on the Jewel, tentatively, Sept 2020.ย  We had thought about winter boots, from the northeast.ย  So we would be good with just some decent insulated hiking boots?ย  Even out on deck and balcony?ย  That would save on considerable weight.

ย 

You don't need boots at all, unless you are doing very serious hiking.ย  Hiking/trail shoes are adequate if you are doing light hiking, orย sneakers if you are just doing casual touring and shopping.

Interesting that people don't check the 10 day forecast before they leave. I have been keeping my eye out, although we are not leaving for Vancouver until June 13th, the on the 16th for a 7 day cruise. Last week the temps were in the 70's. For the week coming up, the highs are in the 60's. As far as shorts and t-shirts, I see people getting off cruise ships in Florida, in the middle of winter, and getting on a flight to NY. People just think cruise=shorts and flip flops.ย 

ย  ย We will not dock in Icy Straight Point until 3:30 pm, then will leave at 10:00 pm I think. Hopefully it will be sunny so the 50's and 60's will feel warmer. But, I am going to be prepared with layers and rain jackets. Thanks for the reminder about binoculars, now I have to see if we have any around.

ย 

We have been to Alaska numerous times and do not rely on the forecast.ย  We have been on cruises where the weather forecast showed it would rain all week and we wound up with wonderful weather and vice versa.ย  The key, as many have said, is layers, layers, layers.ย  We go with no expectations when it comes to weather and work with whatever we get that day.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

The key, as many have said, is layers, layers, layers.ย  We go with no expectations when it comes to weather and work with whatever we get that day.ย 

ย 

This seems likeย the best advice of all.ย 

ย 

For me the next 3 questions to help figure out what to pack becomes:ย 

ย 

- What will I want to wear / need to wearย in the coldest and rainiest moments?ย ย 

- What will I want to wear on the warmer sunny days?ย  ย 

-ย What will I want with me in my day bag for when weather turns cooler or starts raining?

ย 

I actually hope when I'm there in August that it does not get into the 70's.

I'll be tired of the Texas heat at that point and would loveย to feel cool when outdoors in the summer.

Gosh, I hope everyone gets a day like this on their cruises. ย Itโ€™s up to 66 degrees, blue skies, an occasional orca orย eagle sighting. ย 17th cruise to Alaska, and it gets better every time. ย Just wow.

ย 

54F69816-DE7A-46A5-9DC5-826DE7464164.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Gosh, I hope everyone gets a day like this on their cruises. ย Itโ€™s up to 66 degrees, blue skies, an occasional orca orย eagle sighting. ย 17th cruise to Alaska, and it gets better every time. ย Just wow.

ย 

54F69816-DE7A-46A5-9DC5-826DE7464164.jpeg

Loving this view. ย  I hope I have this great weather in August. ย 

Only difference my feet would be propped up on the rail lol. ย ย