Japan Visa for Chinese citizens

colorado35

Do Chinese citizens need a  visa for Japan if arriving by cruise ship.  I know if arriving by airline and visiting for an extended time a visa is required, but is one required if using a cruise ship and only being in a port city for approximately 8 to 12 hours.  Spectrum of the Seas will be departing and returning from Shanghai for 5 days.  Being fairly new to posting, I don't even know if Chinese citizens even are aware of Cruise Critic.  I am hoping someone knows for sure the answer.  Thank you all for your time.

1 hour ago, colorado35 said:

Do Chinese citizens need a  visa for Japan if arriving by cruise ship.  I know if arriving by airline and visiting for an extended time a visa is required, but is one required if using a cruise ship and only being in a port city for approximately 8 to 12 hours.  Spectrum of the Seas will be departing and returning from Shanghai for 5 days.  Being fairly new to posting, I don't even know if Chinese citizens even are aware of Cruise Critic.  I am hoping someone knows for sure the answer.  Thank you all for your time.

The odds of getting a truly reliable answer is small...let alone a truly reliable answer with legitimacy behind it. As mentioned above, the only truly reliable way to get an answer is to contact a Japanese diplomatic mission in China, be it the embassy or a consulate.

According to this website, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/topics/china.html

A Chinese citizen still residing in China obtains a Japanese visa through an approved Chinese travel agency for group or individual travel.   The Chinese travel agency booking the cruise should be able to answer this question.

If you read Mandarin you can check this: https://www.rcclchina.com.cn/Rccl.CustomPage/Faq/Detail/152?shipCategory=海洋光谱号&shipSubCategory=上海出发

I can't read it but I put it in Google Translate:

"Mainland guests taking part in the voyage of Shanghai to the home port of Shanghai:

You do not need to apply for a Japanese visa. On the day of arrival, please make a face-to-face check at the designated place of the ship and receive the “Japan Onshore Sightseeing Landing Permit”."

When I was on Quantum on a Shanghai RT, all passengers were just given a PLP (Provisional Landing Permit) which is a sticker put on the photocopy of your passport, so I assume that visas weren't required.