HAL Mariner Recognition Program/Pins

The Tsar

23 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Jewelry out of the shop does not seem to count either. I bought a nice ring for the DW on our last cruise and the cost of it did not count towards our Cruise Days count at the end when they posted. 

Interesting, I didn't know that since I don't shop for "good" jewelry when I travel.  I wonder if it's because the high-end stores don't belong to HAL, they're contracted vendors. 

We have traveled on Hal for over 280 days and never received any pins. We did get a medal for 100 days and our grandsons love playing assorted games with them. Yes, the free laundry is a great perk.

6 minutes ago, GateGuardian said:

I hate how they make you go to the lunch to get the tile/pin. Can't they just send it to my stateroom????? I missed out of getting one for the Eurodam because of this 😞

All you had to do was ask at Guest Services.  They could have given you one right away or delivered to your room.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

All you had to do was ask at Guest Services.  They could have given you one right away or delivered to your room.

I did that on the Statendam and I got the N*th degree (in a very polite way) about why I didn't go to the luncheon.

2 minutes ago, GateGuardian said:

I did that on the Statendam and I got the N*th degree (in a very polite way) about why I didn't go to the luncheon.

Did you say "please" ? 🙂 We very rarely go to the luncheon and have enough tiles for a kitchen back splash.  Never had a problem.  Alternatively, you could just ask your room steward to get you one. 

Just now, taxmantoo said:

Did you say "please" ? 🙂 We very rarely go to the luncheon and have enough tiles for a kitchen back splash.  Never had a problem.  Alternatively, you could just ask your room steward to get you one. 

As a fellow Canadian, you should know we are always polite 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GateGuardian said:

I hate how they make you go to the lunch to get the tile/pin. Can't they just send it to my stateroom????? I missed out of getting one for the Eurodam because of this 😞

Just ask for one at Guest Services. They will insure that you get one. I bailed on the luncheon on our last cruise, because there was an event I needed to attend (Blackjack tournament), but a quick stop by GS and it showed up that evening. 

3 hours ago, ToBe said:

We have traveled on Hal for over 280 days and never received any pins. We did get a medal for 100 days and our grandsons love playing assorted games with them. Yes, the free laundry is a great perk.

So, you will be receiving your Silver Medallion once you hit 300 days!  Next cruise, so ask for the pin you are entitled to.  For us, the Medallions are the important part, besides the rewards, so the pins are secondary and we don't wear them, but nice to have.

Here's a heads-up for 5 stars:  we qualified for 5 star level when it was added to the Mariner program several years ago.  The white 5 star pins were mailed.

When we received our Platinum Medallions, one was mostly white and the other silver in colour. 

Now on our recent Noordam cruise, we given new 5 star pins which were silver in colour.

Perhaps we should wear both 5 star pins?  :)

19 hours ago, iancal said:

A pin or a badge?  Really? 

How about something a little more tangible?    Perhaps a discount off certain levels of cabin.  Increasing with both the cabin classes and also with the number of cruise days.  

What would you rather have.  A $400 or $500 discount on a cruise or a platinum pin that sits in a drawer at home.  Heck, if you select the right TA you could get an OBC as much or more as this, depending on the TA and the cruise, on your very first buy from that TA.

Last time I got a lapel pin from another cruise line it never left the ship. or should I say that it went straight into the cabin round file.

These may be fine rewards for their current loyal customers but somehow I do not think that they will hold much attraction for the next generation of cruisers.

I read the responses in this thread and yours is what I agree with most. But it brought back some memories. Three years ago I had 250 days needing 50 more for my next Medallion and we are 4 star. Very loyal and sailed only HAL. Today I still have the same amount of days and star status. Not bashing Holland here my choice was to leave and cruise other lines that offered better discounts and perks that went along with similar itineraries. And yes my wife misses the free laundry but she got over it. I'm not done with Holland yet. I will return at some point but for us the pins & medallions don't mean as much to us as they do to other HAL cruisers. Like Iancal  states OBC and a cabin discounts(better than what is now offered) might entice folks like me to return sooner rather than later. Maybe HA could set up a program similar to their Military Credit Program. If you sail XXX number of days you get $$$ OBC and (add) your Star status will get you YYY cabin discount. With the other perks in their promotions could be very attracting for folks. 

WOW - The majority of responses to my original Post, have caused me to take a step back.

One thing is very clear - We seem to view the HAL pins in a totally different light.  I view the Pins as a window to the past.  Maybe, it is because we are in our late seventies, quickly (too quickly) approaching our eighties.  When I hold/wear the Pin(s), I remember the wonderful moments I have spent with my Wife, not the money spent.  It was war time and I was in the Service, when we were married.  It was not until almost twenty-five years later, before we were able to go on our honeymoon - A Holland America cruise.

Therefore, the Pins represent more than just a past cruise(s), but the enchanting and thrilling time spent together.  As to all perks and other benefits, although very important at the time, tend to quickly fade with the passing of time.  I can not remember how much I spent on any of the cruises, but I do remember the joy in my Wife's eyes while cruising together.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, The Tsar said:

Therefore, the Pins represent more than just a past cruise(s), but the enchanting and thrilling time spent together. 

I'm like you, I like looking at the pins and our medallions, remembering the places we've been and the people we've met.  I regard my medallion as my most expensive piece of jewelery and wear it (with the pins attached) to the Mariner luncheon on every cruise.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

I guess many of us are not drawing a distinction between the memorabilia and the loyalty program.   I actually do enjoy the luncheon and other Mariner activities but I sure wish the loyalty program was more generous, don’t we all.  That is just what consumers want - more bargains.  

On 5/20/2019 at 7:39 PM, Palm Bay Cruise Couple said:

Well, I do believe you are in the minority!

We can certainly agree to disagree!

I see so few people wearing their pins and medallions, that I am guessing they don't care that much about them.  I'm basing my guess about how people feel about getting them from numerous conversations we have had onboard with others.  

I still think most people would happily give up cheap pins if a new perk was introduced instead -- whether it be a bit of OBC or another benefit.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

We can certainly agree to disagree!

I see so few people wearing their pins and medallions, that I am guessing they don't care that much about them.  I'm basing my guess about how people feel about getting them from numerous conversations we have had onboard with others.  

I still think most people would happily give up cheap pins if a new perk was introduced instead -- whether it be a bit of OBC or another benefit.  

Considering the price of those pins, equivalent OBC wouldn't buy a beer onboard.

But I do think the loyalty program could do with an overhaul. Having traveled only as a couple and now a single, I have never used the reduced/free 3rd-4th passenger benefit.  Why not offer a choice of benefits, so that there's something to benefit people in a variety of situations. Offer the reduced fare for 3rd-4th passengers for people traveling with kids, OR a reduction in single supplement for singles, OR something specific for couples (spa pass or free grats?). 

14 hours ago, The Tsar said:

Therefore, the Pins represent more than just a past cruise(s), but the enchanting and thrilling time spent together.  As to all perks and other benefits, although very important at the time, tend to quickly fade with the passing of time.  I can not remember how much I spent on any of the cruises, but I do remember the joy in my Wife's eyes while cruising together.

Very eloquently spoken.

Lori & George

15 hours ago, The Tsar said:

And that is what it is all about.   It is the memories you make with those you love and care about that are the best perk you could ever get.  

On 5/21/2019 at 10:27 AM, GateGuardian said:

Just go to the front desk to ask for your tile.  If you are in the PS or a Neptune Suite, have the concierges get the tiles for you -- that is what we do since we do not go to the brunches any more.

You can call the Mariner Society and ask for your Eurodam tiles:  1-800-547-9139

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Considering the price of those pins, equivalent OBC wouldn't buy a beer onboard.

But I do think the loyalty program could do with an overhaul. Having traveled only as a couple and now a single, I have never used the reduced/free 3rd-4th passenger benefit.  Why not offer a choice of benefits, so that there's something to benefit people in a variety of situations. Offer the reduced fare for 3rd-4th passengers for people traveling with kids, OR a reduction in single supplement for singles, OR something specific for couples (spa pass or free grats?). 

That makes perfect sense.  We never take advantage of the 3rd-4th person free -- it really only benefits families with kids -- hard to squeeze four adults into most cabins -- comfortably, that is.  

But, even if they don't give OBC or whatever ----- I'm happy to see the end of the junk pins.

We attended the Mariner Lunch on the Nieuw Amsterdam last week.  The cruise director said they had given out some bronze medallions earlier that morning.  They gave out the tiles at the end of the lunch as guests departed. 

We have 92 cruise days and will be on a 14 night cruise this summer.  Since we will hit 100 cruise days while onboard (on day 9), will we get our Bronze Medallion at the Mariner luncheon on this sailing or will we have to wait until our Fall cruise?  (doesn't matter either way, just curious how it usually works)

26 minutes ago, zelker said:

We have 92 cruise days and will be on a 14 night cruise this summer.  Since we will hit 100 cruise days while onboard (on day 9), will we get our Bronze Medallion at the Mariner luncheon on this sailing or will we have to wait until our Fall cruise?  (doesn't matter either way, just curious how it usually works)

You should get it on the cruise you are on.  Medallions are normally awarded on the cruise where they are obtained unlike improved Mariner status which benefits you on the next cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:11 AM, JR42 said:

Usually when there is a medallion ceremony those invited are the awardees and 4 and 5 * mariners then all mariners are invited to the luncheon.

The Medallion program is totally separate from the Star program, and only awardees and current medallion holders are invited. And yes, you can be 4-star without being a medallion holder: just 67 days on board is enough with all suites and max spending. 

Edited by catl331

The industry has been changing.  HAL is building larger ships.  Their marketing is changing to attract a new breed of cruisers.

I simply do not believe that pins and medals will hold much attraction for the next generation of cruisers.  These folks are travel savvy, internet savvy, and I doubt are committed to any brand.  A medal, a lunch, some laundry,  a tile or a preferred boarding will not do it for them.   I suspect that HAL will have to enhance their loyalty programs if they hope to capture their target percentage of this demographic.   At the moment, HAL's loyalty program is considered by many to be at the the very bottom of the pack.

Even we, in our late 60's, are in no way attracted to HAL solely because of their loyalty program.  The opposite is true.   If we are choosing between two ships that we consider equal HAL will typically loose simply because of the loyalty perks on competing lines.  We do not buy on the basis of loyalty perks.  We only consider them when all other items are equal, based on our preferences.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2