HAL Mariner Recognition Program/Pins

The Tsar

33 minutes ago, catl331 said:

The Medallion program is totally separate from the Star program, and only awardees and current medallion holders are invited. And yes, you can be 4-star without being a medallion holder: just 67 days on board is enough with all suites and max spending. 

I have been told that HAL was going to discontinue the Medallion program when they started the Mariner Program, but the push back from the customers was so great that they changed their mind and decided to keep both.  The Medallion Program I would think is a low cost program for them, as all you really get is a Medallion and an invite to the Medallion ceremony.

The only time I got irritated at the point system was when HAL had sent a message that I only needed two or three days to get a 4-star rating.

Then after reserving a voyage, HAL increased the days needed to reach 4-stars - I would imagine that HAL increased the requirements across the board.

Alas, I'm at the age where I don't think I will ever reach that status!

Some of the loyalty benefits that have, when all things were equal between competing ships, pushed us to other cruise lines:

-free internet minutes (and not 50 either)...DW likes this

-an extra $200 discount (not obc credit) on balcony and above bookings (cabin, not pp)...we both like this

-a private lounge w/ fabulous sea views.   Open all day, private concierge, specialty coffees all day, food all day,  and an open bar in the evening with choice of wines, liquers, beers, and great evening snacks,- seafood, cheeses, etc...I like this especially because it is a quiet place to have a continental breakfast/fruit in the morning.  Does not depend on cabin category though we are always in a balcony.

The rest...some bottles of water, a packet of cookies or soft drinks in the cabin, priority boarding, etc. etc. are completely meaningless to us.

Edited by iancal

iancal, I love the idea of a private Mariners' Lounge.  How nice that would be but HAL's ship aren't large enough yet for that.  Perhaps some day for 5 stars or maybe 4 and 5 stars.

Edited by SilvertoGold

10 hours ago, zelker said:

We have 92 cruise days and will be on a 14 night cruise this summer.  Since we will hit 100 cruise days while onboard (on day 9), will we get our Bronze Medallion at the Mariner luncheon on this sailing or will we have to wait until our Fall cruise?  (doesn't matter either way, just curious how it usually works)

I got my 100 day Medallion 7 years ago on the Oosterdam on an Alaskan cruise.  My 100 days happened while on board.  In just 10 days we board the same ship, same itinerary and my husband will get his 100 day Medallion.  He will reach his 100 days at some point during the cruise.  I got mine during an invitation only Medallion ceremony prior to the Mariner luncheon.  There were appetizers and drinks and photos taken of those receiving Medallions.  I hope the same ceremony happens for my husband even though he really doesn't care.  For me the Medallions are a special reminder of all the cruises I have been on and the star program are the perks. 

• Like 1

We just returned from a back to back on the Westerdam around Japan and back to Vancouver.  I thought we had enough days for our 500 day medallion on the first leg, but it didn't happen.  I inquired at the front desk and they checked with Seattle and said that we should have received it at that Mariner reception.  So we received them on the next leg.  We also cruise a lot with Princess and while we get free laundry on both, I think the free internet and mini bar setup on Princess are more useful for us.  While the gold medallion is pretty, I don't think I will bring it on the next cruise just to wear to the Mariner reception.  I have noticed that maybe one couple out of twenty wear them at that time even though a much higher percentage must have received one in the past.

21 hours ago, catl331 said:

The Medallion program is totally separate from the Star program, and only awardees and current medallion holders are invited. And yes, you can be 4-star without being a medallion holder: just 67 days on board is enough with all suites and max spending. 

Not only that but we will be 5 Star before we get to the Silver Medallion level!

17 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I don't think HAL has increased the "cruise days" to reach 4 star.

Correct. All levels have been the same since the program started:

2 star -  30 credits

3 star - 75 credits

4 star - 200 credits

5 star - 500 credits

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

Correct. All levels have been the same since the program started:

2 star -  30 credits

3 star - 75 credits

4 star - 200 credits

5 star - 500 credits

Right.  Thanks for calling them :credits".  this is what HAL should do to avoid the ongoing confusion with the medallions!

3 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Right.  Thanks for calling them :credits".  this is what HAL should do to avoid the ongoing confusion with the medallions!

That IS what they do.  Per their website ...  As a member, you’ll earn Cruise Day credits 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

That IS what they do.  Per their website ...  As a member, you’ll earn Cruise Day credits 😉

"Cruise day credits" is confusing, as you can see by some of the posts on this board over the years.

Taking out the "day" part simplifies and concentrates the message.  Medallions = pure days;  Stars = credits ( day credits + suite credits + spending credits)

Edited by SilvertoGold

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

"Cruise day credits" is confusing, as you can see by some of the posts on this board over the years.

Taking out the "day" part simplifies and concentrates the message.  Medallions = pure days;  Stars = credits ( day credits + suite credits + spending credits)

Good idea, but if you're expecting HAL to do something that makes sense...

• Haha 1

Question for 5 Star Mariners:

We will be 5 star after our next cruise.   Has HAL "honored" you in any ways other than officially listed?  I ask because we saw a group go into a private room in PG for a special dinner with some staff people.  I know they weren't just suite guests, because one couple was rooming next door to us in a verandah "suite."  

It seems as though most cocktail parties, etc., include 4 and 5 star.  I wondered if the 5's do other things as well.

We have not been invited to anything special since becoming 5-Star Mariners other than the regular Mariner Receptions where the medals are handed out and a lunch in the MDR with the Hotel Director, but that had nothing to do with our Mariner level as we were the only 5-Star Mariners at the table with some 2-3 stars...  What you saw in the PG seems more like it might have been some "President's Club" members.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Question for 5 Star Mariners:

We will be 5 star after our next cruise.   Has HAL "honored" you in any ways other than officially listed?  I ask because we saw a group go into a private room in PG for a special dinner with some staff people.  I know they weren't just suite guests, because one couple was rooming next door to us in a verandah "suite."  

It seems as though most cocktail parties, etc., include 4 and 5 star.  I wondered if the 5's do other things as well.

Our ship (Prinsendam) was big on Gala nights inviting guests to join officers for dinner.  A drink in the Captain’s day room and then off to dinner with one of the various officers.

A slightly better menu, free wine and good company.  I think most 5*’s would have been invited over the course of the cruise (believe it or not, there weren’t that many 5*’s on our cruise) but others were invited as well including 4*’’s.

It’s one nice tradition that this ship does.  Westerdan did invites as well when we were on but it was a mix of people.  I think 5*’s were on their list to try to invite though 😉 

Not sure if you get invited because you are 5* or not, though.

Other than that, I haven’t seen anything else that I would call ‘special’ than the medallion ceremony but you don’t need to be 5* to be invited to that 😉 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  The group I saw could very well have been President's Club, as taxmantoo suggested.  The couple next door to us did have some astronomical number of days sailing with HAL.  Perhaps they were being honored, and then the rest of the guests were suites, etc. to make up a dinner party.  It looked lovely!

AncientWanderer:  we were 5 star when that level was added to the program.  At that time the ships generally did some extras, as the posts above testify to. It varied greatly ship to ship.  Then, the descent into less and less started.

One thing I will say: once you hit Platinum Medallion, things improve (on most ships)!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

One thing I will say: once you hit Platinum Medallion, things improve (on most ships)!!

I have to wonder if we will ever see that level. After 15 years of cruising HAL, we just made 4-Star and Bronze. 5-Star I can see on the horizon, the next medallion level is far, far away. 

I just received an email from HAL, touting Ryndam, new Food & Wine excursions, etc. At the bottom it has my name, Mariner ID and it says FOUR STAR. All correct.

Then it says "YOU ARE A WITH TOTAL CRUISE DAYS!" No blank spaces, but clearly someone forgot to tell it to pick up the specifics. 

27 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I just received an email from HAL, touting Ryndam, new Food & Wine excursions, etc. At the bottom it has my name, Mariner ID and it says FOUR STAR. All correct.

Then it says "YOU ARE A WITH TOTAL CRUISE DAYS!" No blank spaces, but clearly someone forgot to tell it to pick up the specifics. 

Mine doesn't say 5 star or the number of days, just the "you are a with total cruise days". An informative email, however.

28 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Same here ... HAL continues to have problems with anything having to do with its technology or programming.

• 4 years later...
On 5/20/2019 at 11:25 PM, zelker said:

Congrats on becoming 3 Star Mariners!  I don’t remember any recognition ceremony when we became 3 Star but will be interested to see what others say as we will become 4 Star on Amsterdam later this summer.

We did not have any type of acknowledgement when we hit 4 Star or when we received our 100 day medallion.   I was so looking forward to it.  We will be 5 Star very soon and I'm hoping we will have some type of acknowledgement.