CostaClub Changes 2019: No points for cheap bookings?

gkbiiii

Here is what the new website shows, do any of you have ideas on this:

THE OTHER RULES FOR EARNING POINTS REMAIN VALID:

ON-BOARD PURCHASE POINTS: 2 for every dollar spent on board or on costacruises.com before departure.

FLIGHT POINTS: up to 500 as a lump sum for expenses incurred for Costa flights.

3 YEARS OF VALIDITY:from 15 June of each year, only those points accumulated during the previous 3 years are considered valid.

RATES EXCLUDED: cruises purchased with the Basic Rate or other promotional rates and/or special discounts do not allow you to earn cruise points. Members who book with a group rate are awarded cruise points based on the cabin they select; double or triple points will not be awarded, even for advance bookings. Corporate Rates and students groups also do not qualify for cruise points. For these rates, however, you may still earn points through on-board purchases.

https://www.costacruises.com/costa-club/general-conditions-2019.html

These new guidelines make this by far, the most restrictive cruise loyalty program in existence. 

This and lots of other rules are totally unfair to their most loyal customers.

I have just returned from the Favolosa while on board I tried to again book a suite for Sept/Oct this year with cruise rep on board, even though I have 46.000 points & cruised with them at least twice a year since  1999, there are no suites available from most ports we can cruise from in the 'Med' Yet again people are miss-using the rules by booking so far in advance because they will only lose £50.00 each if cancelling eight weeks before cruise begins, with free cabin up-grades.

One more booked with them then never again. Also we are now getting less & less choices in the dining room, & if the Favolosa was anything to go by presentation takes preference over taste & flavour.

Edited by tenpin

• 2 weeks later...

So funny and apt, tenpin!!

We really liked Costa and got really good deals so didn't mind paying the service charge at the end. I know they have really changed their club rules but when we were on fascin ocas 2 days ago we had a free bottle of cabin water, tote bag and invitation to a private party. I am only at aquamarine level! We got a really good deal via a germa n website. We paid 600 pounds for basic inside for one week for 2 adults and one child with service charge included. Although we enjoyed it we won,t miss the  buffet scrum and endless white bread sandwiches! We are going to reserve hope by sailing on the new costs emeralda for the ship's christening and take it from there!!

Someone was asking about Costa for 14 nights and , in good faith I suggested celebrity as I don't know about you but 14 nights on costa, even the lovely costa med would be a bridge too far. I just think they have cut back too much.

I don't think there's anything new here, The no points for Basic has been around for a couple of years and the 3 year limit a lot longer. Costa gets huge numbers of repeat passengers, they had to do something about points. I recall a few years ago in Savona, there were so many people for priority boarding, regular boarding was easier. Even Diamond Pearl, there were nearly 300 on my last cruise.

I consider even Diamond Pearl is only worth at best €150. That's not enough to make me switch back to Cunard, which I consider the only viable option if I'm not with a group. And I fully admit that I may be a loyal customer, but I'm not a very profitable one.

Your opinion of Celebrity is far higher than mine, I consider it only one notch above Holland America. 14 nights would feel like a long 14 weeks.

Hi Bob,

My opinion is not the same as yours, loyalty must be rewarded, while I would be the first one to say there was to many higher club members three years ago the increase in points has lead to even more on the highest level, the upgrade's to suites are much to blame 450 points per day is double & booking a basic inside receiving a suite is totally daft.

We cruised with them up to four times a year in the past & always thought they gave great value (still do) Club levels are easy to control by making new higher levels harder to obtain, rewarding those of us who still cruise with them even though we are never give an up-grade, unless we cruise with them four times next year, almost impossible for us to predict this time next year or later.

Although we will remain Perla Diamante after June we have five cruise points being taken of this year, and next year even though we still cruise with them last year I was only able on due to illness then we will lose Perla Diamante status. 

36 since 2000 yet downgrade at club level so much for being loyal yet still think of staying with them as we know so many personal working for Costa.

One point I would make is with enough points and only cruising with them once every other year, you could in theory book an inside basic get upgraded to a suite, priority boarding, Intenditore drinks package, 75 OBC, club dining and free baggage transfer to & from ship, they must be losing out on those deals, almost paying you to go.