alaska cruise motion sickness

twentyknots

Up until our last trip to Alaska, I would have said we had smooth water.   We've been on 9 Alaska cruises.   But the last one had Beaufort 8 one one of the days.  We were late getting out of Vancouver and the captain chose to hit the ocean instead of spending most of the time in protected waters.

If you're worried about getting seasick, pick a location in the middle of the ship.  We're doing Cape Horn next year, so we opted for a midship room.  Usually on scenic cruising days, we'll try for an aft.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I always take Bonine which is non drowsy.  I never wanted to try the patch because of the side effects.  I take the Bonine everyday, no matter what and even try to start it a few days ahead of traveling (even flying) so it is my system.  That might be overkill or just all in my mind but it helps.  I always try to get a piece of ginger after dinner in the MDR too.  Never thought to bring my own, I just might do that as others have recommended.  We did this same itinerary 7 years ago on the Oosterdam in an aft balcony and I didn't have a problem at all.  And we are on the same cruise as you June 2nd in a cabin really near yours 5172 and I do not anticipate at problem.

We are really excited, only 12 days to go!

Sharon, I see that you're signed up on the Roll Call.  Looks like a meet and greet is planned in the Ocean's Bar during Happy Hour on Monday.  Hope to see you there.

My spouse suffers from motion sickness but had no difficulties last week while we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam roundtrip Vancouver to Alaska.  We did feel some motion when the ship was further out but otherwise it was quite calm closer to land. 

20 hours ago, twentyknots said:

Sharon, I see that you're signed up on the Roll Call.  Looks like a meet and greet is planned in the Ocean's Bar during Happy Hour on Monday.  Hope to see you there.

twentyknots, I haven't been to the Roll Call in a while, I'll go check it out.  Looking forward to meeting everyone.  Only 10 days!

I always take Bonine  the day we begin a cruise...for one thing, it’lll help me sleep that first night when I’m excited! By the next day, I’m fine. That “outside Vancouver Island” passage can be rough, so you might want another day of Bonine.  The patch can have side effects that aren’t nice...and SHOULD NOT be taken off until it says you can (if I recall 72 hours)...can have a reaction if you do. Yes, ALWAYS have something in your stomach! I keep crackers in the room for when I feel like I’m on empty.