Travel agent

Andie 49

We just came off our first cruise about 10 days ago. We want to book a second and had a great travel agent. It was one click away from this site but I dont think that kind of info is allowed so my main question is what is the etiquette with having a great travel agent but finding a deal on another site. Ibhave not found that situation yet but just wondering what protocol should be.

14 minutes ago, Andy49 said:

We just came off our first cruise about 10 days ago. We want to book a second and had a great travel agent. It was one click away from this site but I dont think that kind of info is allowed so my main question is what is the etiquette with having a great travel agent but finding a deal on another site. Ibhave not found that situation yet but just wondering what protocol should be.

We work diligently to identify/maintain/modify (as needed) a flexible "short list" of our preferred TAs. Whenever we  have a specific booking in mind (including "book onboard"), we "shop it around" using the same basic email message asking "what can you add to the equation?"

These TAs are generally in the same ballpark on perks but one may occasionally have added consortium amenities or a cruise line "partner quiet sale" that makes an unbeatable deal. Whatever may be the reason for our choice of a TA for "that" cruise, we almost always let the other TAs know "why" with the caveat that we've made our decision and are not interested in a revisited "competitive" bid).

In that way, we avoid that bit of "bidding" unpleasantness while making sure that the TAs know we always remain interested in getting a good deal.

Andy, you do not owe that travel agent anything beyond what you have already done, give them the booking for your last cruise.  That agent was compensated (via commission and possible overrides).  It may well be that you found the perfect agent, they have the best deals, and you should use them forever :).  On the other hand, if you shop around you might find another agent/agency that can save you real money on your next booking.   If you are so inclined, shop around for the best deal and then call that TA you like, tell them about the deal you can get, and give them the chance to match it.  

Booking a cruise is simply business.  If you decide to treat it as something more then a business transaction and pay more, then you can just look at the extra money you pay as a charitable contribution.   I have often told my favorite cruise agent (who gets about 70% of my bookings) that she is my favorite agent as long as she has the best deal :).  or in other words, she is only as good as her last booking.

Han

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Andy, you do not owe that travel agent anything beyond what you have already done, give them the booking for your last cruise.  That agent was compensated (via commission and possible overrides).  It may well be that you found the perfect agent, they have the best deals, and you should use them forever :).  On the other hand, if you shop around you might find another agent/agency that can save you real money on your next booking.   If you are so inclined, shop around for the best deal and then call that TA you like, tell them about the deal you can get, and give them the chance to match it.  

Booking a cruise is simply business.  If you decide to treat it as something more then a business transaction and pay more, then you can just look at the extra money you pay as a charitable contribution.   I have often told my favorite cruise agent (who gets about 70% of my bookings) that she is my favorite agent as long as she has the best deal :).  or in other words, she is only as good as her last booking.

Han

I agree.

We used to use one particular travel agent, until we realised there were better deals to be had.

We now ask for quotes for cruise,with specific cabin, specific international flights, from our local airport and occasionally transfers /hotels from at least three agents . There is a local agent who will look at details and usually offer us a deal that offers the best of all three. However, we will not stick with them when they are not offering the best deal. 

It's your money, be careful how you spend it.

Did you buy any Future Cruise Credits/Deposits ? They are worth getting but can only buy whilst aboard, as far as I am aware. They last for up to two years and can be used by any agent, giving you the opportunity to use as a smaller deposit and have some OBC (On Board Credit).

Book on board for the best perks, not necessarily the best price. If you booked the cruise you are on with t a travel agent, they automatically give them the credit for the booking and send it to them. Once you book a cruise, never pay it off till it must be. Finding a better deal then the one your agent give you is not uncommon. Just let them know where you received it. They will check. if they can match. They will. They can also offer perks that he other company may not offer. A small difference in price is not worth it if your travel agent is a good one that looks out for you.

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

If you booked the cruise you are on with t a travel agent, they automatically give them the credit for the booking and send it to them. 

They will, unless you ask otherwise.   You can ask the cruise line to hold the booking until you decide on an agent.  You can ask the cruise line to send the booking to a travel agent other than the one who booked the current cruise.  It's all your decision.

21 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

My experience. if I booked the cruise I am on with a travel agent. It MUST go to them. I wanted a different agent with the same Company and they would not do it.

I think we're hung up over what is a "travel agent".  Sounds like your issue is with the company the two travel agents worked for.  Does that company have a policy about their agents poaching from other employees?

I was referring to this situation:  You book a cruise with Interplanetary Cruises.  While on that cruise you book another cruise and you decide you want to transfer that booking to Intergalactic Cruises.  HAL will allow that.  Unless you tell HAL otherwise, HAL would send that booking to Interplanetary Cruises but you can request that HAL hold the booking or send it to a different cruise company.  I have been on a cruise booked with Travel Agency AA and have had no issues sending that booking to Travel Agency BB.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

I think we're hung up over what is a "travel agent".  Sounds like your issue is with the company the two travel agents worked for.  Does that company have a policy about their agents poaching from other employees?

I was referring to this situation:  You book a cruise with Interplanetary Cruises.  While on that cruise you book another cruise and you decide you want to transfer that booking to Intergalactic Cruises.  HAL will allow that.  Unless you tell HAL otherwise, HAL would send that booking to Interplanetary Cruises but you can request that HAL hold the booking or send it to a different cruise company.  I have been on a cruise booked with Travel Agency AA and have had no issues sending that booking to Travel Agency BB.

You are correct. I wanted it to go to a different agent for the same company. I had a major problem with the one that I booked that cruise with. he gave me a price and then charged me more and said he never gave me that price. problem was. It was an email he sent that I had. sent it to the franchise owner and they apologized and gave me a different agent to book with if I still wanted to do bookings with them. I did. This travel agent is wonderful and extremely helpful all of the time. I also got the first price quoted. they ate it. I bet so did he.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

You are correct. I wanted it to go to a different agent for the same company. I had a major problem with the one that I booked that cruise with. he gave me a price and then charged me more and said he never gave me that price. problem was. It was an email he sent that I had. sent it to the franchise owner and they apologized and gave me a different agent to book with if I still wanted to do bookings with them. I did. This travel agent is wonderful and extremely helpful all of the time. I also got the first price quoted. they ate it. I bet so did he.

I've never encountered that problem.  My go to travel agency is a two, sometimes three, person shop.  Doesn't really matter which person's name is on the booking, they can all work the booking.  And, yes, they answer emails on weekends, etc.

The lady I use works out of her home not in the main office. The person that messed me up worked in the main office. Retired from the Miami police department and does this to keep herself occupied. She cruises a lot and has a ton of info to offer. She is always on the ball and constantly checks for any price changes for me. She has saved me a lot. Been working with this major company for many years now. Could not be happier.  90% of the time she is able to get more OBC from the company and she also give me some from her commission. She has told me on more than one occasion. Does not do this for the money. So she give to her clients.

Every Onboard Booking we have ever done involved a Form with an Option to transfer the booking to the Agency that booked our current 

cruise , or not .

If you like the Agency but not the TA , just don’t check that box , and have your preferred TA at the Agency do the transfer when you get home.

• 2 weeks later...

Even many of the larger high volume agencies assign one specific agent to a particular customer.  Any subsequent business you do with that company, even if you book online without using an agent, is routed to your assigned agent.  This is good because you form a relationship and the agent becomes familiar with your preferences, but it can be a real negative if you do not like that agent.  In that case you can call the agency, ask to speak to the manager or owner, and request that you get a different agent.

But, I keep reiterating that it pays to shop around and not get into the "loyalty" thing.  The bulk of our cruises (probably 100+) have been handled by a single cruise agency (on and off for over 20 years) who always seems to have the best prices and great customer service.  But I recently had some issues with my assigned agent and decided to shop around for a cruise (which we booked yesterday).  I used an online site that allows various agencies to bid for one's business and I got a terrific bid from an agency we have never used, but we know is very reputable.  They got my booking (done by me online) and within an hour the agent who was assigned to me (she had actually responded to my original bid request) telephoned my home to introduce herself and discuss the booking (we had to get a Future Cruise credit applied to the reservation).  They got my business because they undercut both of my long term agencies by about $200 on a $5000 booking.  And keep in mind that if we had booked that same cruise directly with the cruise line we would have paid nearly $800 more then from any of these agencies.

So I repeat (ad nauseum) that those who fail to shop around are likely costing themselves hundreds or even thousands of dollars.  

Hank

On 6/11/2019 at 7:45 AM, Hlitner said:

So I repeat (ad nauseum) that those who fail to shop around are likely costing themselves hundreds or even thousands of dollars.  

Hank

Yes, but they get to "control their own booking".  

• Haha 1