Buffet Silverware

MsSoCalCruiser

8 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

It was that way on the Royal Princess recently too but not on the Emerald Princess last Nov.  (maybe it's that way by now though). 

As a minor germ-a-phob, it surprisingly doesn't bother me the way they have the utinsils on the tables now.  I guess I figure people grab the ones on top and don't really touch the napkins underneath. 

It doesn’t stop me from going places or doing things but I always think about germs and viruses... I guess that’s what happens when you beat the odds and survive after inhaling a bacteria (no idea how or where) and ending up in the hospital for close to a month.  I’ve been on nine cruises since that happened to me so obviously it doesn’t bother me too much but we do totally wipe down our cabin, lol.  It just makes you think and wonder a bit more.... but it doesn’t stop me from eating at the buffet 😊😊😊  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Don't put your fingers in your mouth or nose.  Don't touch your food, for example don't eat fries with your fingers.  You probably will touch the back of the chair, table top, salt, etc.  If you don't trust the napkins on the table then don't trust them ever - just don't put your hands on your face.  That is what is under your control.

I don’t put my fingers in my mouth or nose but I do eat fries with my fingers. Thank you for telling me that;  I will try to remember to use a fork.  

On 5/21/2019 at 2:08 AM, steelers36 said:

Since when are they doing it that way?  And, on what ship?

Hi my friend Mr. Steelers.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in January and they were doing it that way.😳

Tony

27 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi my friend Mr. Steelers.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in January and they were doing it that way.😳

Tony

I guess Majestic had not changed (Feb).  I am not worked up over it either way they do it.  I wish they would stir up the OJ more as the top of the pitcher is watery and the good stuff is at the bottom.

The best defense in the buffet is to resanitize your hands after you have sat down and pulled your chair in.  Even if you wash/sanitize on the way in, how many surfaces did you touch - including the bottom edge of the chair when you pulled it in?

Don't unwrap your silverware burrito and lay your silverware on the table - you have no idea how well the table was cleaned before you sat down and I've seen the crew wipe them off with a used cloth napkin.

Always be on the lookout for cross-contamination opportunities and resantize if you are not sure.

I cultured swabs from salt and pepper shakers, "clean" tabletops, menus, and chair bottoms, serving tong handles, and other common use surfaces as part of a project during a public health course. You would not believe what lives on those surfaces and if you touch them and then your mouth, you are transferring them to an excellent growth medium - the human body.

A few simple precautions can keep you healthy - unless you don't mind a little norovirus or the green apple quick step.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Yikes, SargassoPirate.  That makes me even more worried about them now.  I can only imagine what your results were.  :classic_huh:

That's why we are very carefull to resanitize after getting seated and before we touch any food.  And it works.  We hardly ever get sick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I cultured swabs from salt and pepper shakers, "clean" tabletops, menus, and chair bottoms, serving tong handles, and other common use surfaces as part of a project during a public health course. You would not believe what lives on those surfaces and if you touch them and then your mouth, you are transferring them to an excellent growth medium - the human body.

I did the same thing in my Bacteriology class: wash hands, culture, wash again culture again, clean with a stronger sanitizer, culture again...got growth on EVERY sampling.

We live in a world full of germs... :classic_laugh::classic_ninja:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I did the same thing in my Bacteriology class: wash hands, culture, wash again culture again, clean with a stronger sanitizer, culture again...got growth on EVERY sampling.

We live in a world full of germs... :classic_laugh::classic_ninja:

We also did the same series and it was interesting how much growth you would get even after several washings.  The first one was always the best, with so much growth it looked like a glove on the petri dish.  

I would love to be able to culture a few of those ubiquitous plastic gloves that food service workers wear and seldom change 

Yep it's a germ filled world.  That's the reason we were raised to wash our hands before dinner.

Edited by SargassoPirate

On 5/21/2019 at 11:28 AM, Diver2014 said:

We were on the Crown Princess last November and will be again this Saturday for 12 days.  The containers on the tables with the silverware wrapped in napkins are certainly more sanitary than people grabbing utensils from a circular container on a rack.

I have not seen anyone rifling thru the napkins containing the silverware on the tables.  Certainly not something to worry about.

Have you ever tried to hold onto a napkin, silverware and a plate while trying to add food to your plate while in line at a buffet?  The napkin/silverware on the table is so much more convenient.  If you distrust what's on the table, ask a waiter for a 'fresh' napkin/silverware.  I think the OP is sweating the small stuff.  There are so many more things on a ship that everyone touches than the napkins and silverware on the tables.  

We are also boarding the Crown this Saturday (can’t wait). I understand the importance of being vigilant with your hygiene on a cruise ship, but honestly, some of you should perhaps pack a hazmat suit to walk around in if germs concern you this much.  😜

You’re  on VACATION...try and have fun.  Cheers🥂

33 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Yeah, there's only so much you can do.  I just wish everyone would wash their hands with soap.  I love the Noro wipes from Amazon. Noro Wipes  We wipe down the whole cabin the first time we walk in, then I re-wipe mid-week.  The cabin stewards transfer a lot of germs too. 

How about wiping down the cabin steward.   I figure that getting lots of germs on me is the reason that I am almost never sick.

DON