Newcastle /Port of Tyne - travel guidance please

We are looking at the L1919 cruise out of Newcastle on 7th August, "Cruising European Rivers & Canals" for nine nights.

Very conveniently there is a one night repositioning cruise from Rosyth (not far along the road from us) to Newcastle the day before, so we can add that and cut out a journey down to Geordieland.

Obviously that leaves the question of getting home when the cruise ends in Newcastle on 16th August.

Can the resident experts here please advise - is it easy enough to get from the port to Newcastle rail station, or any other suggestions on how to get back to central Jockland ?

When we sailed from there, Fred ran a shuttle from just outside the train station to the port which is a number of miles away.  I am pretty sure it was a charged for service but with luggage could be worth it, if it is still an option from Fred - it was a few years back so may not be done now. 

Thanks Tring - we need to go in the opposite direction, port to rail station. as soon as possible after berthing.

I'll 'phone Fred again and ask - when I called the other day to enquire it was a waste of time and effort.

I was presuming that if there was a shuttle it would run both directions, but we were disembarking elsewhere.  May not be done now though.  We were on a cruise from Dover in April and Fred was offering a bus journey to the station on disembarkation, leaving at 8am - I did not get the impression that it had been pre booked by anyone before they embarked for the cruise.  Dover station is much nearer than the Newcastle station though.

PS

Just found the Port of Tyne website - it says a taxi would only be about £15 for a 30 mins journey  (probably cheaper than a shuttle run by Fred)   https://www.portoftyne.co.uk/passenger-information/directions/directions-terminal

Good luck and enjoy the cruise. 

Edited by tring

There are taxis outside and its not that expensive to get back to the Train Station. 

We left the ship late as our train back home (Down South) was after lunch and still very easy to get a taxi.

This was around 4 years ago.

Thanks folks.

Taxi to rail station looks best option.

Can get 1/3 off train tickets if we buy a railcard, and I believe the "Two Together" card @ £30 is the best deal, rather than two separate cards, a 50% saving.

Update - I searched for Railcard on the Money Saving Expert forum and came up with a Tesco deal to get a "free" Two Together railcard.

You need £10 in Tesco vouchers, which 'er indoors had - then follow the instructions which are straightforward.

You need a passport size photo to include with your electronic application - all I needed to do was scan our passport images, crop them down and attach - there is a function on the application which allows you to fit (reduce or enlargen)the image to their specified size.

A £30 railcard for £10 value Tesco vouchers, plus a third off tickets from Newcastle to home is a decent saving.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
  • Like 1