NCL Bliss Oceanview vs Mini Suite with Balcony for Quad

GoToAgent

I am currently booked in an Oceanview for NCL Bliss in June for Alaska.  My cabin is 240 square feet.

I am trying to decide whether or not to request and bid on an upgrade to a Balcony room or Mini Suite with Balcony.    The Mini Suite with Balcony shows a Total of 249 square feet.  The balcony is 42 square feet and my understanding is that is "included" in the 249, so essentially you have less space inside the cabin, than with the oceanview.  Is that correct?

I'd like a balcony, just not sure it is worth giving up space with 2 parents and a 12 & 14 year old in the same cabin.

Thoughts?  Am I correct about the square footage?  What preference would others have between the 2 choices?

Thank You.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no cabin expert but from what I understand the balcony is added into the square footage so you would be correct. 

We just sailed the EPIC over Easter and had a family mini suite.  I absolutely loved having the balcony.  Didn't think I would ever book anything but a balcony going forward. Having said that, when looking at the categories on the Bliss, which we just booked for December, I decided to go with the family ocean view with large picture window instead of a balcony or mini suite.  While the price wasn't much less, I felt the space and layout would work for us (there are a few of this category of room that are configured differently so they are a bit larger).  We are also a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens.  I think the biggest difference is that the Bliss has the waterfront so I think there are plenty of places on the deck to sit and enjoy whereas the EPIC was lacking a waterfront.  So we are trying the family ocean view to see how we like it.   

I'm not sure if a balcony is a must for an Alaskan itinerary though.  From what I've seen, people go out on the upper decks to view the Glacier, etc.  My Bliss itinerary sails from New York in December so we will have a few cold days at sea and therefore I didn't feel we would utilize a balcony as much.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how NCL measures their balcony/rooms.....RCI separates the measurements....so if the cabin is 240 sq. ft, and the balcony is 42 sq. ft....the balcony is NOT included in the cabin space.

If you have 2 teens, you will want the largest cabin space you can get....even 240 sq. ft is gonna be tight....and the kids won't care about a balcony at all.