Rain on Viking Rhine Cruise

erniediane65

My husband and I, along with friends, will be on the Viking Rhine River Cruise beginning May 28th and the weather doesn’t look very promising! Does anyone have any experience with inclement weather on a Viking River Cruise, and did the weather ruin your trip? I’m so upset!!

That is a real bummer but the truth is that there is nothing you can do on any vacation to control the weather. It will be what it will be and since you have some advanced warning, prepare for it--both physically and mentally. At least you have time to shop for anything you might need.

Weather will ruin your trip only if you let it.

As another CC member put it:  travel with hope rather than expectation. 

And yes, I have been on cruises where the weather has been less than ideal and no, it did not ruin my trip. Nothing ruins my vacations: I am on a ship; someone else is doing the driving, the cooking, the cleaning, the organizing, the pampering and everything else except packing my bags at the end of the stay. If I never leave the ship, I am still on vacation.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 6

I find it does not look too bad. Anything between 16 degrees and 22 degrees is not nice, but o.k. and as I tend to say "it is not the North Yorkshire Moors" here in the Rhine valley, those Moors are only for the hiking fans and sheep in thick wool. Decent shoes against the rain and an umbrella - usually provided by Viking - will help much in our mild valley. There is normally shelter nearby, or a café for a decent warming cup of tea or coffee.

You are on holiday and you can trust Viking to take good care of you.

And if needs be, the ship is always close by (anything between 100m and 10km depending on where you dock), either on foot or by means of a shuttle.

There is not as much rain forecast as we have had in the last three days, so I am sure it will be better than you imagine, looking at the weather chart from a great distance as you currently need to do.

The Rhine levels are likely to fall, as well, so the situation will improve on the river.

You might not get brilliant photos but I am sure there will be enough opportunities to get decent shots as reminders of a memorable river cruise.

Enjoy.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Our last Provence cruise the forecasts were for cold and rain so we packed accordingly.  Weather is fickle and we got sunburned!

Viking provides umbrellas but they are huge and when walking in a group it is tough.  I brought my own small travel umbrella.  I suggest packing for the worst and knowing that everyone onboard will be in the same situation so if your hair is ruined, so be it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I find it does not look too bad. Anything between 16 degrees and 22 degrees is not nice, but o.k. and as I tend to say "it is not the North Yorkshire Moors" here in the Rhine valley, those Moors are only for the hiking fans and sheep in thick wool. Decent shoes against the rain and an umbrella - usually provided by Viking - will help much in our mild valley. There is normally shelter nearby, or a café for a decent warming cup of tea or coffee.

You are on holiday and you can trust Viking to take good care of you.

And if needs be, the ship is always close by (anything between 100m and 10km depending on where you dock), either on foot or by means of a shuttle.

There is not as much rain forecast as we have had in the last three days, so I am sure it will be better than you imagine, looking at the weather chart from a great distance as you currently need to do.

The Rhine levels are likely to fall, as well, so the situation will improve on the river.

You might not get brilliant photos but I am sure there will be enough opportunities to get decent shots as reminders of a memorable river cruise.

Enjoy.

notamermaid

Quick approximate conversion method from Centegrade to F for Americans

Double the degrees C; than add 30

" Anything between 16 degrees and 22 degrees"

16 doubled is 32; add 30 to get 62 degrees F  (actually 61 F by exact formula)

22 doubled is 44; add 30 to get 74 degrees F  (actually 71.6 F by exact formula)

This method reads hot as temperatures rise; better at low temps

1 hour ago, caradara said:

Our last Provence cruise the forecasts were for cold and rain so we packed accordingly.  Weather is fickle and we got sunburned!

Viking provides umbrellas but they are huge and when walking in a group it is tough.  I brought my own small travel umbrella.  I suggest packing for the worst and knowing that everyone onboard will be in the same situation so if your hair is ruined, so be it!

I agree with the suggestion to pack a travel umbrella.

Roz

In addition to always bringing a water repellent jacket with a hood, we always waterproof our walking shoes with silicone spray since 1) we are miserable with wet feet and 2) we don't bring an extra pair (they take up too much room in the luggage) and they take a long time to dry out.

• Like 1

We generally travel in April or October to avoid the heat and the crowds of summer. Along with those perks, we have a fair degree of cloudy skies and rain or showers. Of course, I would rather all sunny days, but I don't let that dampen my enjoyment of the trip. (Sorry for the pun - couldn't help myself!)

I do take lots of photos, and love looking at them from time to time, so that can be disappointing when the weather isn't cooperative. To compensate for that, on Flickr where I store my photos, I also keep an album of Favorites.  In that album, I collect other people's photos who happened to be at my destinations on the perfect sunny day, or just at sunrise, or sunset. That way I can admire their photographic skill and good fortune, and still have my own first hand experiences to recall.

9 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Quick approximate conversion method from Centegrade to F for Americans

Double the degrees C; than add 30

" Anything between 16 degrees and 22 degrees"

16 doubled is 32; add 30 to get 62 degrees F  (actually 61 F by exact formula)

22 doubled is 44; add 30 to get 74 degrees F  (actually 71.6 F by exact formula)

This method reads hot as temperatures rise; better at low temps

That's very complicated.  I prefer this ditty:

"30 is hot

20 is nice

10 is cold

0 is ice"

• Like 3

I totally agree with the above posters - you can't control the weather so just have fun.

We tend to travel to Europe in their winter as that is when it is easiest to get leave, plus I get to leave Australia's heat, which I don't really like.

We have been snowed in in Glasgow and Washington DC, rained out in Thailand, and pretty well everything in between.  Have loved every one of our holidays and wouldn't change a thing.

There's no bad  weather, only inadequate clothing. 🙂  We were rained on a few times on our October Rhine cruise, and it was  very cold while  we went thru the gorge area with all the castles.  It was fine.   We had rain coats, umbrellas, hats, gloves, and warm jackets.

I hate wet shoes, too, and have waterproof hiking shoes.  A little clunky, but comfortable, warm and dry goes a long way.

I second everything that @Peregrina651  said.

I honestly cannot remember if it rained on our previous Viking trips, I suppose it must have done but nothing that spoiled our holiday.

As for F>C temperature translations, I was brought up with F but now have forgotten what they mean, but while I was making the transition to C the one thing I used was that 82F=28C. Anything below that is getting cooler, anything above that is getting warmer

• Like 1