Dublin to London aboard the Cloud—live—May 23, 2019 to June 4, 2019

RachelG

June 4, 2019–disembarkation in London England

We were up early to transfer to Gatwick for our flight home.  Silversea offered a variety of bus transfers to LHR which I thought were actually reasonably priced, including one with a city tour for those flying out later, but their only option to Gatwick was a private car for $399 which is ridiculous.  So we decided to uber.

We walked off the ship at 6:45, through the Belfast.  Had to wait for the ferry for about 10 minutes.  Once over to the north bank of the Thames, we found our luggage quickly and walked to the street where we soon found an Uber.  Cost of trip was $84, and the driver was a very pleasant fellow with a very clean car.  He got us to Gatwick in record time, so we were in the BA lounge by 9 am.  

We did our own reservations with miles, so we are going home LGW-Orlando-DFW-TUL, but all in one day, just a long day.

Final thoughts about Silversea Cloud with some comparisons to Silversea Explorer:

I like the somewhat larger ship.  Our room was very comfortable and certainly larger than any we have had on Explorer.  It was comparable to one on the Regent ships.  We didn’t use our balcony much, but it would be nice in warmer weather.

It was great having multiple dining and lounge options.  The food was the best we have had on any Silversea voyage, and that includes on Spirit.  There were just a couple of things I didn’t love, but even those were more just a personal matter of taste, not bad food.  We had good salads and fresh berries all along.

The zodiac loading and unloading was much easier on this ship as the loading gate is larger and more stable.  There were a lot of people who had never seen a zodiac before, much less ridden in one.  They complained bitterly.  They should have read the description of the ship more thoroughly.  I don’t see why anyone would take this cruise, unless they just want to stay on the ship a lot, if they aren’t prepared to ride in zodiacs.  I actually prefer zodiacs to tenders, and I love going to the tiny ports.

At the other hand were people who thought the ship was too large.  I loved having a proper walking track and good sized exercise room with a fitness instructor.  I didn’t mind that the expedition staff is larger—in fact, I liked it.

My only real complaint was the excruciatingly slow WiFi.  It progressively deteriorated during the cruise.  I hope it is better in August.

• Like 2

Rachel, it's great to hear your thoughts on the Cloud as an expedition ship. Especially since you are big Explorer fans, as we are. We love Cloud and Wind as classic ships, so we have high hopes for the Cloud as an expedition ship. Your comments make me think that it will be as good as we are expecting. 

I won't expect much from the WiFi though. See you in two months! 

Thanks for your reports Rachel.Was interesting comparing your voyage with our recent Wind voyage with some ports the same.

Our problem with the Cloud and the Wind when it undergoes it's conversions is that they have removed most of the tubs.I have both mobility and balance problems so a shower on a ship is a real no no.I have no problems getting in and out of a bath as I sit on the side and swing my legs over.Much safer.As well especially if it has been a cold and wet day I just love soaking in a warm bath.

I know we are in a minority but Silversea is forgetting that people are all different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rachel,

Really love all that you have shared with us during your voyage.  And, especially thankful for your comparison between the Cloud vs. Explorer as we've never done an expedition cruise.  We can hardly wait to experience the zodiacs.

Considering your complaints about the internet speeds, along with many others who have expressed the same recently, was there any mention of what action, if any, SS is taking to resolve this issue?

Thank you for your review Rachel. It matches ours on the previous leg. The ship, food, service and expedition team were all excellent.

I especially agree with your zodiac comments. There were a number of people on our leg who were surprised that the Cloud was using zodiacs, and some who refused to get in them. They spent most of the cruise on the ship. One woman said yes she read about the zodiacs but thought the Cloud only used them for excursions around the shores, like they use the kayaks. I don't understand why people didn't read the description before they booked!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Our problem with the Cloud and the Wind when it undergoes it's conversions is that they have removed most of the tubs. I have both mobility and balance problems so a shower on a ship is a real no no.I have no problems getting in and out of a bath as I sit on the side and swing my legs over.Much safer.As well especially if it has been a cold and wet day I just love soaking in a warm bath.  I know we are in a minority but Silversea is forgetting that people are all different.

YES!!  Very good postings and details from RachelG.  As to Dr. Ron's points and comments about tubs versus showers, there are different needs and preferences.  Understand fully those who like a tub, have medical challenges/issues, etc.  BUT, by contrast, I hate climbing over a tub's edge in order to take a shower.  Showers are my strong preference and I do not like using a tub.  Trade-offs??!!  Different personal and physical needs?  Yes and yes.  We were glad that on the Silver Spirit that they had BOTH a shower and tub.  Upcoming in late July on the Silver Muse, they will also have both options.  That's best and gives everyone their option and choice.  But, clearly the Silver Cloud and Silver Wind cannot be easily and physically adapted to fit that dual offering that is most desired in today's cruising luxury marketplace.  I assume with the Silver Moon and other newer SS ships, that they will have both options available in ALL of the passenger suites.  Good background and discussion from Dr. Ron.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Thanks very much for this informative review. 

We are boarding in Reykjavik and looking forward to comparing the Cloud -v- Explorer.

Have never heard any complaints about the Zodiacs in the past, perhaps the passenger demographic is changing.

What next ? Helicopters ? Submarines ? Underwater restaurants ? .. all so folks can have an in depth wilderness experience and never get their tootsies wet ?

10 hours ago, drron29 said:

Thanks for your reports Rachel.Was interesting comparing your voyage with our recent Wind voyage with some ports the same.

Our problem with the Cloud and the Wind when it undergoes it's conversions is that they have removed most of the tubs.I have both mobility and balance problems so a shower on a ship is a real no no.I have no problems getting in and out of a bath as I sit on the side and swing my legs over.Much safer.As well especially if it has been a cold and wet day I just love soaking in a warm bath.

I know we are in a minority but Silversea is forgetting that people are all different.

The shower has a very large ledge/seat in it.  Big enough to easily sit and use the handheld shower safely.  Of course, no soaking possible, but the shower seat is very safe and similar to what we had installed in my mom’s house when she couldn’t get in and out of the bath anymore.  

We prefer the shower, but I realize that some people don’t like them.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed your report, Rachel, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Cloud. Our trip on the Cloud to Greenland and Canada was so good; I'd love to sail her again on the itinerary you just did. Someday, when the work schedule allows!

I guess the Zodiac haters don't read this forum, or they would have a very clear idea of what's involved.They call these "expedition" cruises for good reason!

18 minutes ago, FauxNom said:

I really enjoyed your report, Rachel, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Cloud. Our trip on the Cloud to Greenland and Canada was so good; I'd love to sail her again on the itinerary you just did. Someday, when the work schedule allows!

I guess the Zodiac haters don't read this forum, or they would have a very clear idea of what's involved.They call these "expedition" cruises for good reason!

Highly recommend this area of the world for expedition cruising.  I would never imagined going to such unusual places.  No way we could have seen much of this on a regular cruise or land trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Thanks Rachel for your review, as a first timer on silversea, I’m looking forward to my trip in 6 weeks on cloud. Reading your review has increased the excitement levels. Thanks 

Where are you going?

Hi Rachel, I just completed a binge read of your fun thread ( DH and I had been on the Regent Navigator WWII museum DDay 75th commemoration charter cruise and got home a couple days ago so I am catching up on blog reads).

A route similar to this, though not on the Cloud as it now has no bathtubs, is in the works for me next year, despite likely bad weather.

When you first posted you had brought 9 pairs of shoes I thought you were joking.  Given your fitness level I thought you would be one of those tough traveler road warriors who travel just with loaded carryons. I feel like I am taking too many shoes when I take four pairs instead of three, same for DH, but we still manage to fill our two or even three checked cases completely with assorted stuff despite thinning out efforts.

Sounds like Cloud storage is now tight, but I suppose you could also store shoes and rarely used items under the bed ( and have a list of what you put there)  if space is tight in Cloud closets.

So sorry about George’s hat.  I often wondered in your prior blogs why it had not blown away before, as I would have lost my Tilley hat long ago but for the strap. Maybe his replacement should  have a chin strap to secure it? Or he could bring a few backup hats to join your shoes.

I also laughed when I read he had forgotten some pants again, though this time fortunately  only the waterproof ones.

As for the airport missed flight fiasco, it reminded me that I also need to practically drag  DH out of the distant lounge to get to the gate early, and to stay there even if a flight is reported delayed an hour or less because airlines change their minds so often and may have planes fly out earlier than they said they would when reporting delays.  I been burned with this in the past. Lesson learned.

DH and I liked the old Cloud ( with a tub) and had the best mouthwatering SS meals on her in South America a few years ago.  Too bad there are no more tubs, which are very nice and luxurious after cold weather walks for aching muscles and joints.

One question:  Are the zodiaks on the Cloud rear-loading like on Hurtigraten, with a step  in rear, or side-loading step-over-edge types?

Thanks again for your blog and pictures, I know it was a lot of work.

Edited by Catlover54
typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Hi Rachel, I just completed a binge read of your fun thread ( DH and I had been on the Regent Navigator WWII museum DDay 75th commemoration charter cruise and got home a couple days ago so I am catching up on blog reads).

A route similar to this, though not on the Cloud as it now has no bathtubs, is in the works for me next year, despite likely bad weather.

When you first posted you had brought 9 pairs of shoes I thought you were joking.  Given your fitness level I thought you would be one of those tough traveler road warriors who travel just with loaded carryons. I feel like I am taking too many shoes when I take four pairs instead of three, same for DH, but we still manage to fill our two or even three checked cases completely with assorted stuff despite thinning out efforts.

Sounds like Cloud storage is now tight, but I suppose you could also store shoes and rarely used items under the bed ( and have a list of what you put there)  if space is tight in Cloud closets.

So sorry about George’s hat.  I often wondered in your prior blogs why it had not blown away before, as I would have lost my Tilley hat long ago but for the strap. Maybe his replacement should  have a chin strap to secure it? Or he could bring a few backup hats to join your shoes.

I also laughed when I read he had forgotten some pants again, though this time fortunately  only the waterproof ones.

As for the airport missed flight fiasco, it reminded me that I also need to practically drag  DH out of the distant lounge to get to the gate early, and to stay there even if a flight is reported delayed an hour or less because airlines change their minds so often and may have planes fly out earlier than they said they would when reporting delays.  I been burned with this in the past. Lesson learned.

DH and I liked the old Cloud ( with a tub) and had the best mouthwatering SS meals on her in South America a few years ago.  Too bad there are no more tubs, which are very nice and luxurious after cold weather walks for aching muscles and joints.

One question:  Are the zodiaks on the Cloud rear-loading like on Hurtigraten, with a step  in rear, or side-loading step-over-edge types?

Thanks again for your blog and pictures, I know it was a lot of work.

Zodiacs are side loading .  Very easy to do.

not joking about the pairs of shoes.  I am not a light traveler.   I too have been surprised that George hasn’t lost a hat previously.  But an occasional casualty is to be expected.  He would not be caught dead with a chin strap. Haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Would you take a photo of the Cloud’s new showers? Inquiring minds would love to know..and to see.

Thanks to whoever would be willing to take some snaps.

Wish I had thought to take a photo.  I think they are really nice.  But I am a person who always prefers a shower over a bath.  We will be back on in August, and I will make special effort to take a pic.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:05 PM, Catlover54 said:

Given your fitness level I thought you would be one of those tough traveler road warriors who travel just with loaded carryons.

Haha!  That would be JP Albany & Chris

On 6/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, CruisinPashmina said:

Would you take a photo of the Cloud’s new showers? Inquiring minds would love to know..and to see.

Thanks to whoever would be willing to take some snaps.

Colonel Wes is presently sailing on the Cloud.  I’ll send him a PM and see if he can snap one for you.

• Haha 1