On Renting a Car on Hawaiian Cruises

uman2631

(Cross-posted from Norwegian topic by suggestion from others): I'm writing this because when I did research on renting a car during a Hawaiian cruise, much of the information I read was out of date.  These tips/info is accurate as of May 2019, but is definitely subject to change.

Overall tips:
1) With the exception of Kona, all rental cars will have to be picked up at the airport.  That means you need to allow at least 45 minutes to wait for a shuttle or taxi to get to the airport from the harbor, wait in line, and complete the paperwork before you can be on your way.  That also means that you need extra time to return the car to the rental center, and travel back to the harbor and get through security before all-aboard.

2) Even if you have an overnight stay, I'd suggest only renting the car for 1 day at a time.  That's because there's no place to park the car overnight at any of the ports (no matter what you read online).  All of the harbors have increased security, and you cannot park there, friends cannot wait there to pick you up, etc.  And the surrounding areas all have signs that do not allow overnight parking, threatening to tow your car.

3) If at all possible, don't pre-pay for your car, just make the reservation.  Plans change, especially on a cruise, and you don't want to wind up paying for a car that you don't end up picking up.

4) For the ports where rental car agencies operate shuttles, they generally know when you are arriving, so that they will have shuttles available then.  If you aren't going to immediately pick up the car in the morning, call the local rental agency location to find out what their shuttle run schedule is.  Some run continuously, some run for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon, some require a phone call requesting a pick up.

5) For those wondering if it is "worth it," cost-wise, to rent a car instead of going on an excursion, my personal opinion: for 1 or 2 people, by the time you rent the car, pay the insurance, and the gas, and the loss of time spent going to/from the airport, you will probably break even in cost.  3+ people, you will definitely save money renting a car vs. going on an excursion.

My specific experiences:
Maui/Kahului Harbor:  My least favorite experience renting a car.  Rental car agencies could not provide pick up shuttles because of the very high level of security at this port.  A limited number of taxis were available to take you to the airport to pick up your car.  Cost is $10.  Distance to airport is about 4 miles.  Most rental car agencies will have special shuttles to take you back to the ship, for free/tips, so you won't have to pay to get back.   As I said, you cannot park your car at the harbor, or surrounding areas.  Friends cannot pick you up at the harbor.  Neither can Uber/Lyft, unless they have a harbor security card.  If you wish to use Uber/Lyft, there is a grocery story across from the harbor, that you can use as a place to get picked up.  Keep in mind, there is almost nothing to do in the immediate area around the Maui port.  It's a total industrial area.  This was also the only port where 3rd party tour services weren't readily available at the harbor to take you to various destinations (although they were probably available outside of the port, but I never really looked).

Hilo, Hawaii:  A much better experience.  All of the major rental car agencies had shuttles rotating to pick you up at the harbor and take you to the airport to get your rental.  In our case, they even had our name on a daily manifest, so they were totally expecting us, and it made the experience very easy.  They also had a "last shuttle" back time, in our case it was 4pm, so be sure to return your car on time.  Distance from harbor to airport is about 3 miles.

Kona, Hawaii:  This was the only port where we had to tender in (which takes about 15 minutes or so, not counting waiting time).  You get dropped off right in the heart of downtown Kona.  This is the only port where you can pick up your car at a place other than the airport.  Dollar, Thrifty, and Hertz can all be picked up at the huge King Kamehameha Hotel across the street from the pier.  The hotel also has shuttles to the airport if you want to rent a car there from a different agency.  It's also the only port where there is a plenty to do in the immediate area without needing to rent a car.

Nawiliwili, Kauai: Like Hilo, they have shuttles that can pick you up at the harbor and take you to the airport, and drop you back off.  Distance is about 3 miles.  In our case, when dropping us back off at the harbor, they literally drove us in the car we rented.

I didn't rent a car at any of the other ports, so I cannot speak to any of the others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When was your cruise?  I knew that there is a new tram system at the Maui airport so I wondered how this would affect cruisers trying to get to the airport for their car.

We plan to rent cars on Kauai and Maui.  I have read that you can park overnight at the Maui airport or one of the Maui hotels close to port (I can't remember which one).  People on the FB groups I belong to post about it frequently.  They also say you can rent from the Enterprise close to the port on Maui (but I don't want to do that, I want to rent at the airport).  It doesn't  make sense why they can't pick you up in a shuttle from the port if they can take you back in one.  I just wonder if the new airport system has changed things.

Thanks for all the information.  Luckily we only want to park overnight on Maui so hopefully I can figure it out before November.  I agree that alot of the information here is out of date, it is why I joined the FB groups.

Edited by Beachiekeen

14 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

When was your cruise?  I knew that there is a new tram system at the Maui airport so I wondered how this would affect cruisers trying to get to the airport for their car.

We plan to rent cars on Kauai and Maui.  I have read that you can park overnight at the Maui airport or one of the Maui hotels close to port (I can't remember which one).  People on the FB groups I belong to post about it frequently.  They also say you can rent from the Enterprise close to the port on Maui (but I don't want to do that, I want to rent at the airport).  It doesn't  make sense why they can't pick you up in a shuttle from the port if they can take you back in one.  I just wonder if the new airport system has changed things.

Thanks for all the information.  Luckily we only want to park overnight on Maui so hopefully I can figure it out before November.  I agree that alot of the information here is out of date, it is why I joined the FB groups.

My cruise was last week (ending May 19, 2019).  Yes, I suppose you can park overnight at the Maui (Kahului) airport (I don't recall the rates), just as if you were parking to go on a flight.  And it is, of course, right next to your rental car agency...but in my opinion, why bother?  That's not much different from returning the car, except now you're also paying the airport to park overnight too, and you still have to ask for a rental car shuttle back to the harbor (or get a taxi), because it's too far to walk.

I don't know anything about the tram system in Maui, so I can't say anything about that at all, if it goes to the harbor, I'd be surprised.

As for not picking up at Maui...as best I can tell, the security at that port is tighter than all the others.  At that port, the shuttles aren't allowed to go into the harbor and wait for passengers to arrive and board (though, for some reason, official excursion buses can).  And when dropping off, they actually dropped us off just outside the secure area (though everyone still had to show their ship badges to the security guys).

There IS an off-airport Enterprise in Hilo (they even had their own separate shuttle).  I'm not aware of an off-airport Enterprise in Maui.  Doesn't mean that there isn't one, but I don't know about it.

This is interesting.  We were on the NCL cruise just two weeks before you and had absolutely no problem with shuttles between the port and the airport in any of the ports. There was actually a designated line for the car rental shuttles in the Maui port.  We didn't notice it the first day, but saw the Dollar/Thrifty shuttle pulling into the port area and ran up to it.

We had separate rental reservations for each of the two days in Maui, because we originally planned to rent a car for only one day, but later decided get one for the next day too.  We were surprised that all people on the shuttle from the port the second day were returning to their cars parked at the airport.  They in turn thought that we were smart to avoid the parking fee (I believe it was $15), although in our case it happened by accident.

Otherwise uman provided excellent tips on car rental.  I think that a car rental is worthwhile even for just two people, saving money and providing more independence.  We didn't add any insurance and gas at COSTCO for the few gallons was not very expensive.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip!  We definitely did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 7:59 PM, Beachiekeen said:

....  They also say you can rent from the Enterprise close to the port on Maui (but I don't want to do that, I want to rent at the airport).  ....

Is there a specific reason why you decided not to rent at the Enterprise right outside the port? I’ve reserved one there because it seemed like it would be easier to just walk over there instead of the airport/shuttle/etc.? I’m asking because I’m wondering if I didn’t think of a reason why I wouldn’t want to rent from there. 

47 minutes ago, idkanything said:

Is there a specific reason why you decided not to rent at the Enterprise right outside the port? I’ve reserved one there because it seemed like it would be easier to just walk over there instead of the airport/shuttle/etc.? I’m asking because I’m wondering if I didn’t think of a reason why I wouldn’t want to rent from there. 

Oh just because we have some on our group that won’t want to walk that far in the dark, that’s all. I know many use it with no problems. I was under the impression it was like a 10 minute walk, no sidewalks, etc maybe I’m mistaken?

Edited by Beachiekeen

8 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

Oh just because we have some on our group that won’t want to walk that far in the dark, that’s all. I know many use it with no problems. I was under the impression it was like a 10 minute walk, no sidewalks, etc maybe I’m mistaken?

It look okay on google maps street view. I don’t really know. Maybe someone here has experience renting from there? Here’s hoping! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idkanything said:

It look okay on google maps street view. I don’t really know. Maybe someone here has experience renting from there? Here’s hoping! 

People on the FB groups talk about it all the time, I know people use it. I just know we will be back late/after dark the first day and it would also mean having to park at the Beach hotel which I know IS a far walk for my ILs in the dark—maybe that is what I was thinking of actually, not Enterprise itself. I’m not sure you can park at Enterprise. I will have to look at it more closely I guess.

8 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

People on the FB groups talk about it all the time, I know people use it. I just know we will be back late/after dark the first day and it would also mean having to park at the Beach hotel which I know IS a far walk for my ILs in the dark—maybe that is what I was thinking of actually, not Enterprise itself. I’m not sure you can park at Enterprise. I will have to look at it more closely I guess.

That makes sense. We are only renting the car the second day, so we didn't have to worry about parking or about walking in the dark. Enjoy your cruise! 

23 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

Perhaps we are missing something in this, but as far as we know, Enterprise across from the port closes at noon on Sunday, so taking the car back there is not an option if you won't be back until after dark.

2 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Perhaps we are missing something in this, but as far as we know, Enterprise across from the port closes at noon on Sunday, so taking the car back there is not an option if you won't be back until after dark.

I was talking about the walk to GET the car on Sunday, I already know we will be back too late and that it’s not an option for the return.

Google the video "Walking Back To The Pride Of America (Maui Port)".  The first part shows walking on the sidewalk in front of the Maui Mall (and Enterprise would be about where the video started).  There seems to be a new entry place for passengers since for the past few weeks we have seen them now entering the harbor area at Wharf Street, which dead-ends into the Maui Mall and is only a few hundred feet from where you used to enter.  Don't know if they have changed the route to the ship once you get in the port area.  At least this will give you an idea of what is where.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

17 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Google the video "Walking Back To The Pride Of America (Maui Port)".  The first part shows walking on the sidewalk in front of the Maui Mall (and Enterprise would be about where the video started).  There seems to be a new entry place for passengers since for the past few weeks we have seen them now entering the harbor area at Wharf Street, which dead-ends into the Maui Mall and is only a few hundred feet from where you used to enter.  Don't know if they have changed the route to the ship once you get in the port area.  At least this will give you an idea of what is where.

That was incredibly helpful! Thank you very much for posting this. We will be only renting on Monday, so this is perfect. 

12 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Any advice on renting from Lahaina where the non-POA ships tender for an overnight?  Is that a possibility?

Good question! We are sailing the opposite cruise from you (HI to Vancouver), so I am wondering the same thing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Any advice on renting from Lahaina where the non-POA ships tender for an overnight?  Is that a possibility?

Google "West Maui Car Rental Locations" or "Kaanapali Car Rental Locations" and go from there.  The airport that may be referred to (Kapalua/West Maui Airport) is a small one, and not to be confused with Kahului Airport on the other side of the island.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, B-52 said:

Curious, what are peoples experience returning cars late at night? Say about 11pm?

Especially Maui.

We cannot comment about how overnight parking is at Kahului Airport right now since it has received a major parking lot overhaul and we haven't checked it out, but we can offer personal opinions about parking at Maui Mall or the Maui Beach Hotel.  They are:   don't do it and don't do it.  Signs are posted in the Mall parking lot stating there is no overnight parking and cars can be towed.  You can supposedly pay to park in the Hertz spaces at the Maui Beach Hotel ( .6 of a mile from the pedestrian entrance to the port area), but the walk from the Hotel to the port area is through an area that can be unsafe at night.

Morning, I scheduled a car rental for Sunday when we are in Maui from Avis rental at the airport.  My original thought was we would try to do the Road to Hana on our own as it would be much less expensive then an excursion through the ship or a business (party of 4 traveling). After reading all the reviews from people that have done this on their own it doesn't really seem like it would be such a good idea with the winding roads, blind spots, etc.  I have a hard time in taxis when we go to Bermuda and always feel nauseous after so riding in a car on the road to Hana  may not be good for me.

We sail in a couple of weeks and really have not done to much research yet on what we'd like to do. So my question is, any suggestions for what are the best things to do in Maui for one day with our own car?  I didn't realize the area around the port was industrial until reading the original post, we kind of thought we would just walk off the ship and spend the day walking around to whatever was in the area but it sounds like there really isn't much there.

Appreciate any input. Thanks 

40 minutes ago, baflagg said:

Morning, I scheduled a car rental for Sunday when we are in Maui from Avis rental at the airport.  My original thought was we would try to do the Road to Hana on our own as it would be much less expensive then an excursion through the ship or a business (party of 4 traveling). After reading all the reviews from people that have done this on their own it doesn't really seem like it would be such a good idea with the winding roads, blind spots, etc.  I have a hard time in taxis when we go to Bermuda and always feel nauseous after so riding in a car on the road to Hana  may not be good for me.

We sail in a couple of weeks and really have not done to much research yet on what we'd like to do. So my question is, any suggestions for what are the best things to do in Maui for one day with our own car?  I didn't realize the area around the port was industrial until reading the original post, we kind of thought we would just walk off the ship and spend the day walking around to whatever was in the area but it sounds like there really isn't much there.

The Road to Hana is extremely windy, with many one-lane bridges, and steep drop-offs.  If you have trouble driving in those conditions, I wouldn't recommend it.  It also will take you all day, if you go the whole route.  I enjoy those conditions, so I had a lot of fun, but if that's not your bag....  Other options: Kula Botanical Garden. Haleakala National Park (choose a route that isnt the road to Hana).  Maui Ocean Center.

6 hours ago, baflagg said:

We are there 2 days on POA.

Day One we are renting a car from the airport. Will drive and see some sights ending up in Lahina.

Then we are going to the "Old Lahina Luau" at 6pm, which is finished slightly past 9.

Will return the car by 11pm when they close.

Day two we will do the Rd to Hana excursion through the ship. Leave the driving to them and get us back in time.

8 hours ago, baflagg said:

So my question is, any suggestions for what are the best things to do in Maui for one day with our own car?  I didn't realize the area around the port was industrial until reading the original post, we kind of thought we would just walk off the ship and spend the day walking around to whatever was in the area but it sounds like there really isn't much there. 

Will you be tendering in at Lahaina or docking at Kahului?