Hints about FRAM and the jackets...

Go2See

Hi,

I am going on the Fram in June or july this year to Svalbard.  I will be in an inside cabin.  They say they provide a jacket.   I am wondering if that means it is a warm jacket or just a shell?

Any other info about the ship, the things they supply or its set up or secret places to hang out, don't miss it food or ??? or any other hints... I would be grateful for it.

Thank you!!!!

Edited by Go2See
change title

We did a trip on Fram to Antarctica this last December/January.

When we were issued the jacket we were a bit disappointed, as it seemed quite flimsy. However, it turned out to be an excellent jacket - light but warm and comfortable to wear. It did a very good job on our trip. It is bright red in colour, with a fluro yellow hood! I have worn mine a lot here at home this autumn, but my husband won't wear his because of the colour!

Thank you roaming kiwi58!

Did you wear another jacket under it? 

Can you tell me if the shampoo etc were acceptable or should I bring my own?

Also what was the beverage policy, some expeditions provide a house wine or beer at dinner  others do not...?

Any part of the ship you especially enjoyed?

Thank you!!!!!

(I'm so excited!)

No, we did not wear another jacket underneath. If you layer you can adjust for the weather, Depending on weather we had either short or long sleeved tshirts, then a fleecy jersey, then the Fram jacket. Also gloves and hats. You are going to Svalbard, which I have not visited, so I can't comment, but certainly Antarctica is not as cold as you might expect. Some calm sunny days it got relatively warm! But the wind could be very cold, if it was windy.

We were quite happy with the shampoo on board. 

Water, tea and coffee was available any time - help yourself from the machines by the shop.

Water was provided with meals. All other drinks you had to pay for. Rather than single glasses, we bought bottles of wine and you could drink a glass or two and they would put the rest of the bottle away for another meal.

The lower grade cabins are extremely compact, so you certainly don't spend more time in them than you have to. And  anyway, you have to be somewhere to see the views.

The Observation Lounge at the front and top of the ship is a nice space and a good viewpoint. But it is not the place to be if the seas get rough!  If you need to be lower down the ship in rough weather, there is quite a nice space by reception, but it is not that large. 

Hope this helps!    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 2:40 PM, roaming_kiwi58 said:

When we were issued the jacket we were a bit disappointed, as it seemed quite flimsy. However, it turned out to be an excellent jacket - light but warm and comfortable to wear. It did a very good job on our trip. It is bright red in colour, with a fluro yellow hood! I have worn mine a lot here at home this autumn, but my husband won't wear his because of the colour!

We both left our jackets on the ship.  We have tons of jackets.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 5:40 PM, roaming_kiwi58 said:

Hi. Just noticed your post. We are considering Antarctica on the MS Fram this November. I am concerned about the compact size of the inside cabins. Can you give any advice or review of the cruise to help us to decide if this is the right cruise for us? I am having a hard time getting info. Thanks so much. 

Christie 

1 hour ago, nascartony20fan1 said:

Hi. Just noticed your post. We are considering Antarctica on the MS Fram this November. I am concerned about the compact size of the inside cabins. Can you give any advice or review of the cruise to help us to decide if this is the right cruise for us? I am having a hard time getting info. Thanks so much. 

Christie 

We were on Midnatsol so have no idea about individual cabins.  But here's ours.  The sofa made into the second bed.  We were completely comfortable.  It's such a glorious trip that I had to look for the cabin.  Couldn't even remember it 🙂

26733880_1540419799367840_5562870080713376321_n.jpg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, clo said:

We were on Midnatsol so have no idea about individual cabins.  But here's ours.  The sofa made into the second bed.  We were completely comfortable.  It's such a glorious trip that I had to look for the cabin.  Couldn't even remember it 🙂

26733880_1540419799367840_5562870080713376321_n.jpg

Thank you. This looks similar to the cabin we’re getting on the MS Fram. Was there a closet or drawers for your clothes? Where did you stow your suitcase? 

2 minutes ago, nascartony20fan1 said:

Thank you. This looks similar to the cabin we’re getting on the MS Fram. Was there a closet or drawers for your clothes? Where did you stow your suitcase? 

Yes re closets and drawers and our suitcases fit under the bunks.  Compare to the Lofoten on the Norwegian coastal cruise it was grand 🙂

IMG_6639 - Edited.jpg

• Haha 1

Hi Christie 

On the Fram we were in a Polar Outside N2 cabin. I am not sure what the floor area is and how it compares with the size of the inside cabins. 

Our cabin was "cosy". Definitely the smallest cabin we have ever had on any ship. The beds are quite narrow. There is little room for moving around in the cabin. One of the beds is folded up against the wall during the day. This gave you a bit more room to get dressed for your shore excursions - getting your waterproof trousers and muckboots on. Our suitcases did not fit under the beds. We just left them at the back of the space where they leave the tray that you sit your muckboots on. There were no drawers in our cabin, just a couple of shelves and the compact wardrobe. I really missed having at least one drawer for small items. 

You get used to the size of the cabin. We spent so little time in our cabin that it didn't matter that it was small. I would have booked an inside cabin if there had been any available when we booked, but they were all taken. 

I have been very busy and have so far not got my review of our trip finished to submit to Cruise Critic, but did just manage to get back to it a couple of days ago. I hope to submit it within the next few days. If I don't get it done soon it will just be history!  If CC don't accept it I will post here.

Hope this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, roaming_kiwi58 said:

FYI Here is the link to my full review of our Fram trip:

Fram Review by roaming_kiwi58 

Thank you!

However we decided to sail the new Roald Amundsen in November. Rooms are all outside and looked more hospitable. I’m super excited to sail this new ship to Antarctica. We are missing South Georgia Island but I think the trip will still be great!!

Christie  

On 5/23/2019 at 5:40 PM, roaming_kiwi58 said:

I agree, we found the jackets to be perfect for the conditions.